cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Evo - Excessive data used in 11 days

Journeyman

Evo - Excessive data used in 11 days

Holy cow... I log into sprint.com today and look at my usage and I see this for my Evo:

4,095,928KB/

4GB in 11 days? Yes I have the hot spot option, but I only tested it out... maybe 10MB total from that. So whats all this data about? no wonder there is a $10 fee if its really using this much data, and no wonder my battery life isnt very great.

I'm shocked... anyone else care to chime in and share how much data you've used?

Tags (2)
11 REPLIES 11
Journeyman

Re: Evo - Excessive data used in 11 days

Mine's really high as well, around 3gb.  Not sure why or if something is using data in the background.  I do a little internet and have 2 email accounts set up, but nothing that should make it that high!

Journeyman

I've had mine for 8 days now (no hot spot feature) and have used 306,188KB so far.  That includes all the apps I've downloaded from the market and installed, reading news, using Fring, emails, etc.Definitely more that I ever used on my Blackberry.

Journeyman

I too and having similar issues. I've had my phone for about a week now and have used 2,305,187KB, which doesn't make a lot of sense. I had an iPhone with AT&T prior to switching to Sprint and the EVO and only used 2.5 GB in nearly a year, including downloading tons of Apps and Music. I havn't done anywhere near the amount of stuff with my EVO, and what I have done has usually been while connected to WiFi. Well, the one difference is a lot of GPS usage, but I'm pretty sure that shouldn't be using any data, since it uses GPS signals from satellites, not the cell network. As anyone else with all this unexplained data usage been using GPS a lot too, even though I dont' think that should matter?

Message was edited by: rgauntt2010

Journeyman

wow holy cow guys. I just checked out of curiosity. now I have only had mine since the tenth but I have surfed downloaded installed un-installed and re-installed app's and until today at least had GPS on and all that and used Pandora had sync on and everything and have only used 110MB.something is up with that

Journeyman

So I log in just now and I see this for my total data use:

81,466KB/ Unlimited

So if thats the case, where did the 4GB of data go? and yesterday I installed network traffic counter to keep an eye on things and see if it could be because i'm connected to an exchange 2003 box... well the counter since yesterday shows 431.57MB... so what is it? lol.

Highlighted
Patron

I have had my phone 7 days and have used 87,577 kb of data.  My average (listed under usage history on the sprint site) is 368,022 kb/month.

Journeyman

So, today is the last day of my biling cycle... so from the night of the 4th to the morning of the 22nd, here is my total data useage from sprint.com:

Used
6,993,580KB/ Unlimited

Almost 7GB of data on a phone in 18 days. Thats insane! there has to be some explanation for this. anyone from sprint care to chime in and help explain where this is coming from?

Anyone else this high?

Journeyman

Sorry, only 3.7 GB or around 0.4MB/day.

Which is still suspicious for the phone, I get such kind of traffic only on my PC which has 200 open tabs and windows on several monitors permanently sucking the data from the net. That's pretty decent traffic. Check for themselves with the very nice NetMeter application on PC, one of the most recommended on the net

So something is clearly wrong. Let's find what, so my questions are:

1) have you installed a lot of free stuff from the Market ? My kids have done that for couple days but all 10 those games do not wight for 3GB plus possible online traffic. Too check that I reinstalled EVO back to factory settings and allowed them to load some games again. We all managed to download only ~100M for a whole week. Since that I follow this fishy stuff every day and do not see that excessive traffic anymore

2) Have you noticed EVO becomes very hot and completely discharges during the night if you leave 4G ON (i see 4G is working in my city)?

3) Do you allow background data in settings?

Journeyman

I ended right near 7GB of data for the month. Unfortunately I had to take my device back and return it because of issues with the touchscreen (selecting something on top would select something on the bottom and so on) and rebooting during phone calls, and no one had any replacements. too bad. fun phone and I would have loved to troubleshoot this.

as far as these 3 questions go...

1. All I had installed was free stuff. I did have net app watching what everything was using for network data and I saw nothing out of the ordinary.

2. I didnt have 4G on, because we dont have it here, but yes my phone would get extremely hot even on 3G. specially when it went into its fits of rebooting.

3. yes background data was turned on.

what was odd, is at home I started using wifi... and I still racked up the data use on 3g! wifi wasnt even over 100MB in the week I was testing before I took back.

Wizard

not sure if you all have Exchange ActiveSynch and/or have it auto-check frequently, but i can see that taking up lots of data. similar with other email accounts on the phone, and if they are all set for auto-checking...

Journeyman

My wife's phone has this issue as well.  Let me preference by saying. My wife is a “regular” phone user she makes calls and sends text messages occasionally.  She has had a Blackberry pearl with the data turned off for many years.

I originally left Sprint because of their customer service and only recently returned because of the HTC EVO and promises from our Corporate Enterprise Representative that the customer service has had a major overhaul.  I am seriously thinking about pulling the plug and returning all three HTC EVOs and calling Sprint on their 30 guarantee.

We have spent several very frustrating hours with Sprint Customer Service, Sprint Technical Support and especially to the Sprint Store.

My wife called Sprint Customer Service (*2) and confirmed her phone was sending\receiving large amounts of data (about 1.2GB in 1-3days).  She went through all the things the representative wanted her to and got nowhere.  We asked the representative to do a 30 day exchange and she insisted we take the phone to a Sprint Store first. My wife agreed; I wasn’t so happy about this, for obvious reasons.  So I asked my wife do a factory reset and not install anything.  Later I asked her to call Customer Service to confirm that the data is still sending\receiving every two hours (and it was).

The next day my wife went to the Sprint Store after work. The very unprofessional associate at the Sprint store who was watching a video and\or listening to music the whole time (on his phone) while "helping" my wife with her phone.  He obviously had no clue and blamed it on applications she downloaded to her phone. He installed antivirus which found nothing so he then installed Advanced Task Killer and told my wife to kill the apps she isn’t using because that was the issue.  My wife called me (because we already had conversations around the Advanced Task Killer) so I explained to her again (and to the tech) that even the Android developers recommend that we do not use ATK with 2.1 as the memory is managed more efficiently in this version and ATK can cause corruption or unexpected results.  The tech didn’t care and said that was her issue and that was his solution.  I then explained that we did a factory reset and the only thing she did was go through the setup procedure and the Sprint Customer Service (*2) stated the phone was still sending or receiving data every two hours.  The store tech’s response was “it has to be something she installed”.  My response was, “really… even after the factory reset, with only the apps installed from HTC\Sprint?”  At that point I instructed my wife to take her phone back and leave the store immediately. 

Upon my arrival home I noticed my wife was clearly very upset (trying to do a 30 guarantee exchange) and talking to another Customer Service Representative and a Technical support person.  Before I could say anything I hear the tech support person say “there is nothing wrong with her phone” then the Customer Service person said “Okay” then proceeded to disconnect the call.  I sat there in disbelief until I heard the sound of a disconnected phone. At this time my wife told me the Sprint Store person put notes on her account saying something like her phone is working fine and not to exchange it.  My wife later received a call on her cell phone from the Tech Support guy asking my wife why she hung up the phone; they went back and forth like children for a few minutes.  After the tech support guy started playing games of he said, she said; I took control of the call and went upstairs to let my wife eat her dinner. The tech person continued to say you have Unlimited Data and he doesn’t see the issue here.  I explained the battery life was bad and how data usage will take away from her experience because that takes away available bandwidth she could be using. He again stated there was nothing wrong. I told him I wanted to hear him say that a company that is looking into capping data usage on certain plans would be ok with my wife’s phone potentially sending 12-15GB of data every month. He refused and offered to let me speak to a manager.  I explained very clearly what was going on to the supervisor and told him I do not know what else to do at this point except exchange the phone.

His response “when did you get your phones”

Me “was less than two weeks ago”

his “was oh you certainly qualify for the 30 day grantee”

WTF, that is exactly what my wife was asking them to do when she called support when she got home.

So the good news… I did a Google search and here is the reason your phones are using so much data and killing your battery even possibly causing reboots. See link below.  But in a nutshell there is something wrong with HTC Facebook sync and until they resolve it you may want to consider turning off some of the sync options or it all together.

http://androidforums.com/htc-evo-4g/108389-evo-issues-excessive-data-bad-battery-random-reboots-magi...

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat