cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Evo Shutting Down

Highlighted
Journeyman

Evo Shutting Down

For the past couple of months my phone has been randomly shutting itself off.

I'll open an app or the internet and while it is loading my phone will simply shut off.  Battery will be at 100% and when I turn the phone back on, it's at 0.  Most of the time the battery is fine if I am on the phone, texting, or simple tasks.  It only shuts down if I do something internet based.

Doesn't seem like a battery issue but related to the garbage 3G reception I get.

17 REPLIES 17
Highlighted

Re: Evo Shutting Down

Iggy2103, Im sorry for the fustration this is causing you. Have you had the phone looked at by a service and repair technician or called to have your device reset? I dont feel that it is caused by poor 3G service I have the same phone and I dont get very good 3g in my home and I do not have that issue. Seems like a software issue that may be resolved by a factory reset.

~Christina~

Highlighted
Journeyman

I am [somewhat] having the same problem.  Once, maybe twice my phone has shut itself off.  Lateley my phone has been restarting on its own.  Pretty frequent I might add.  I hesitate to take it to a repair shop because I feel i'll be out the cost of said repair if/when it continues to happen (sorry, I just have that kind of luck).  I don't want someone to 'fix' it, just to have it continue and have them say "well I don't know"   I thought maybe Sprint has been sending out updates that cause the phone to reboot..... any other ideas?  If I DO take it to a repair facility - and IF the problem continues - will Sprint reimburse me?  Not sure which route to go with this here.  My first thought was to wipe my phone to factory settings and 'start fresh', but - I just did that a little more than a few months ago..?

Highlighted
Journeyman

**UPDATE**

Tell ya'll what i'm gonna try.  I'm gonna bring my HTC EVO 4G back to factory settingsand one-by-one add the updates / apps that I currently use.  I'll log my steps right here on this thread - i'll give it a couple days between updates / app installs and i'll log it on here.  not sure if this will help pinpoint the 'culprit' per say, but - it will give me something to try, since my contract on this phone isn't up until September(that's when i'll get the next 'best thing' ).

Fair enough? 

Highlighted
Journeyman

Hi Iggy2103 and Bud-D,

I'm experiencing the same issue. It's been going on for some weeks now. My phone has plenty of battery (I've seen it range from 75% down to 35%) and it randomly shuts off. Sometimes I'm using it and oft times it's just sitting in my pocket. When I restart the phone, it says that it has 0% battery.

Sometimes I wait an hour or so and try to turn it back on and on rare occasions it is running perfectly fine again with the battery life it is supposed to have, though more often than not it sits around 5% battery not really letting me use it at all.

What is frustrating is that this isn't something that happens all the time. I just had it happen to me over lunch (battery at >70%) and it shut down on my while I was writing an email. When I got back and plugged it in, battery life states that it is at 78%.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I wonder if this has to do with one, or a couple of particular apps causing this?  I don't know - just throwing things out there.  Here's the apps I currently have installed, that are not native to the EVO 4g:

Alarm Clock Xtreme Free

ASTRO file manager

Bank of America

Facebook

GPS HUD

Paper Camera

PayPal

Photaf

PicSay

Pro HDR Camera

Redbox

Scikotics (Scion car club forum app)

Voxer

Weatherbug (just installed, doubt this one is the cause)

Highlighted
Journeyman

I don't think it is app-related, but in case it is, the below are what I have that you also have:

Weatherbug (widget, always on)

Facebook

ASTRO File Manager (rarely used)

My gut instict is that it has something to do with software updates to the phone performed over the past 3-4 months that are causing kernel level bugs/crashes.

I don't think I've seen this happen to my phone at home though, so I initially thought it may have been WiFi antennae related (might still be the case), but I'm pretty sure at least once or twice the WiFi antennae wasn't on when this occured.

Highlighted
GrandMaster

data wouldnt have anything to do with it. odds are its either some bug in there, possibly while a update was being done it didnt fully put everything where its supposed too..or something else. i have it happen every great once in a while..but nothing to dramatic that. never had it happen while in mid use either. the battery deal showing differnt readings to me would say youre probably needing a dreaded factory reset. i have seen a few threads about this here and there but nothing ever narrowed down the cause. heck it could even be the battery itself..these phones are pretty old now.

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Highlighted
Journeyman

It really depends on what kind of update it is. If the update puts you on a newer version of Android, then yes, it could cause those issue and the only fix is a hard reset. The last update for this phone came out was for security fixes and battery improvement. Unlikely that its causing the rebooting issue, but possible. Most of the time its apps causing it. You can save visual voicemails to your sd card, there's apps in the market to save text messages. You can go into your contacts and save to the SD card if they arent backed up to google. The market usually remembers what you previously downloaded so if it does its easy to setup the phone again. But always a good idea to write down what you had just in case it doesn't. Nothing on your SD card will be affected by the reset. And yes, its a pain to setup your phone again. If you take your phone to a store, they will reset it anyways. So these are good steps to be prepared for the worst. If you notice it happens when you click on a certain app that comes with the phone. You can go into Settings, Applications, Manage Applications, click All tab, Find app, clear cache and data. If that doesn't work then its hard reset time.

Highlighted
GrandMaster

XxEpicurusxX wrote:

It really depends on what kind of update it is. If the update puts you on a newer version of Android, then yes, it could cause those issue and the only fix is a hard reset. The last update for this phone came out was for security fixes and battery improvement. Unlikely that its causing the rebooting issue, but possible. Most of the time its apps causing it. You can save visual voicemails to your sd card, there's apps in the market to save text messages. You can go into your contacts and save to the SD card if they arent backed up to google. The market usually remembers what you previously downloaded so if it does its easy to setup the phone again. But always a good idea to write down what you had just in case it doesn't. Nothing on your SD card will be affected by the reset. And yes, its a pain to setup your phone again. If you take your phone to a store, they will reset it anyways. So these are good steps to be prepared for the worst. If you notice it happens when you click on a certain app that comes with the phone. You can go into Settings, Applications, Manage Applications, click All tab, Find app, clear cache and data. If that doesn't work then its hard reset time.

wouldnt be the first time one of these maintenance updates came out and boogered something up. then again it wouldnt be the first time the battery was the actual problem either. giving off false readings of battery level. either way they should just take it into a repair store and have them go over it...odds are they'll just FR it...but if theyre lucky and that store has some knowledgable techs they might be able to avoid it.

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Highlighted
Journeyman

I want to add my issue to the hundreds experiencing the same problem, with the HTC Evo 4G,... shutting off and recycling back on, over and over again.  It started happening after a Sprint update, and I couldn't get it to stop- SO, since I have the extra insurance coverage,  I drove 40 miles to the nearest authorized Sprint repair center.  They replaced the phone, supposedly with a NEW ONE, but just 1 week later it started with the new phone. I didn't do the Sprint update when I was prompted to on  my new phone, but this started shutting down and restarting anyway.

When my phone tries to come baCK on it says NO service just briefly, so i tried moving to many places where i have had service before, no improvement.  It does happen more when the battery is less than 60%, so I try to keep it fully charged. I read all the forums on here and Google, and performed the clearing the data- hard reset. 

It still keeps doing it!  I remove the battery, in and out, tried charging with both the original charger in the wall and the usb micro charger in my computer-  No difference or idea when it will decide to turn back on. Right now I am frustrated waiting for it to work again.

I noticed it occurs in intensive applications- like Facebook.  So I removed all apps except for ; ALARM free version, Ebay, Chase bank.  This just sucks!  I will try HTC next to see if they will replace the motherboard-  We should just get some answers from the Sprint gurus-  are they so confident and making so much money they don't care if they lose customers due to this poor customer service?

With more and more Americans dropping their home landline phones, it's imperative that the cell phones perform properly, and these are the expensive high end "smart" phones.  Help resolve this issue-thousands are writing about it all over the web.  Thank you.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Welp - i'm up here in Bellingham Washington right now on business - my phone just rebooted by itself.  I chacked the software version numbers from the last time this happened and nothing changed there.  COULD be app-related, but - not sure i'm sold on that answer just yet.

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat