Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Evo Update 2.3.3. - Compass Problem

Go to solution
Highlighted
Journeyman

Others have also seen this problem, but I've not seen it reported in detaill here yet:

After the update, neither Compass App from the Market (Tiny Compass, or, Compass) work correctly. "North" stays fixed at slightly NE.... and is incorrect. As you rotate the phone, North moves too.

This is clearly an Android problem as detailed here

Any comments or ideas appreciated !

56 REPLIES 56
Journeyman

I have the same problem.

Anyone know of a fix?

Journeyman

HELLO SPRINT!! The compass is not working after gingerbread. Acknowledge?

Journeyman

I have this problem as well. Hopefully if all those that do post then something might get done. It seems to affect Google Sky as well, if I am pointing the phone towards where it thinks the moon is, the display is miles off!

Journeyman

The problem is in the kernel it has a off-by-one bug (missing value for register H1Z@0xc4) in latest htc akm8973 driver that caused calibration failure in akmd (that writes a funny HOFFSET*.z values in /data/misc/AK8973Prms.txt). If you hold the phone facing you as (if you were using it) and rotate the phone left and right 90 degrees you will see the compass rotate 90 degrees.

The kernel is setting the x/y axes in the wrong orientation.

However HTC has not released the source code so we can fix it. With the last update the code was not released for 30 days. We may be in for a wait.

If sprint would pressure HTC they could fix the code.

Journeyman

I've seen this on two EVOs, compass apps and Google Sky Map no longer work. 1st one, phone 3 months old, everything worked fine with Froyo, updated to 2.3.3 and the compass no longer works. Second one, brand new phone, same thing. Any official acknowledgement would be encouraging; a workaround or fix would be GREAT.

Journeyman

I'm not seeing quite the behaviour KUDZUS describes, mine doesn't rotate by 90 deg when I do, it's much more random than that. Still, an identified bug is good, maybe it will fix my probs anyway when it is patched!

Journeyman

Calibrate your compass (the old wave in a figure 8 thing) then hold the phone at eye level absolutely vertical then rotate 90 degrees. Let me know what you get. I’m working on a fix  

Journeyman

Both mine and the wife's Evos have suddenly bad compasses after the update. Tried calibration, clearing data for the compass and Google sky, reinstalling the apps, and different compass apps.

They all point the wrong way and turning around makes the compass rotate slowly the wrong way, not rotate, and sometimes jump back to pointing the wrong way again.

This needs to be fixed soon!

Master

Re: Evo Update 2.3.3. - Compass Problem

Aardgeek wrote:

Any official acknowledgement would be encouraging; a workaround or fix would be GREAT.

I understand this is inconvenient to few ppl that may use it, but don't forget, it is NOT an app that is issued from SPRINT, so they don't make sure that a new OS will work with any little program that is in the Market, just like when a new Windows comes out and it's not compatible with some programs you might already have in your comp (I don't think you start B itching at Microsoft for it). So ppl chill, wait until the developers that came up with that program will update it. It's not Sprint's fault!

I come here trying to help people and I'm NOT employed by Sprint, so If my reply helped you or if you get an answer to your question from other users, PLEASE mark it as solved.
Journeyman

Re: Evo Update 2.3.3. - Compass Problem

Dj_Damjano wrote:

Aardgeek wrote:

Any official acknowledgement would be encouraging; a workaround or fix would be GREAT.

I understand this is inconvenient to few ppl that may use it, but don't forget, it is NOT an app that is issued from SPRINT, so they don't make sure that a new OS will work with any little program that is in the Market, just like when a new Windows comes out and it's not compatible with some programs you might already have in your comp (I don't think you start B itching at Microsoft for it). So ppl chill, wait until the developers that came up with that program will update it. It's not Sprint's fault!

I’m sorry but no compass program will ever work with this kernel! I extracted the bad code from the kernel. Here it is:

c024d3e8: mov r1, #4 @ r1: RBUFF_SIZE

c024d3f8: mov r1, #4 @ r1: RBUFF_SIZE

c024d42c: str ip, [r4, #76] @ atomic_set(&data_ready, 1)

c024d430: str r0, [r4, #68] @ r0 (contents of buffer) into sense_data (part 1)

c024d434: strb r1, [r4, #72] @ r1 (contents of buffer) into sense_data (part 2)

It should read as follows: ...

c024d3e8: mov r1, #5

c024d3f8: mov r1, #5

c024d42c: str r0, [r4, #68]

c024d430: str r1, [r4, #72]

c024d434: str ip, [r4, #76] @ data_ready: 1

No developer will be able to write an app that works with this bad coding.

Unless HTC/Sprint pushes another update the compass and any app that uses the compass (as in Google Sky and some navigation apps) will stay broken.

If your phone is rooted you will be able to fix it as soon as HTC releases the source code.

Journeyman

Dj_Damjano wrote:

so they don't make sure that a new OS will work with any little program that is in the Market

For my part I don't see Google Maps and Google Sky Map as "little" programs in the Market. Both are broken by something in the 2.3.3 update; the compass related parts of Maps no longer work, and Sky Map is pretty much totally b0rked.

Not blaming Sprint, just saying.

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat