Sprint Community is currently read-only. Please use the My Sprint app or Sprint.com to manage your account. If you need assistance, please visit Sprint.com/chat
Sprint Community is currently read-only. Please use the My Sprint app or Sprint.com to manage your account. If you need assistance, please visit Sprint.com/chat
Sprint Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Evo Update 2.3.3. - Compass Problem

Go to solution
Highlighted
Journeyman

I can't exchange.  I have 0003, and the compass and sky maps worked just fine before the 2.3 update.

I didn't want to do a factory reset, but that's about the only thing I haven't tried yet.  What gets erased after a factory reset?  Will the preinstalled apps still remain there?  After the reset, will I have to do the 2.3 update again?

Highlighted
Master

Re: Evo Update 2.3.3. - Compass Problem

When you do a factory reset  it removes all install apps from the market, it removes all text messages on the phone, it removes emails and customization from the device the contacts are removed   Information on the SD card remains  Contacts are sync to gmail so when gmail account is put back on the  device it syncs contacts back to the phone   Resets are a common fix for software issues.   All firmware updates remain

Highlighted
Journeyman

Factory reset will erase pretty much anything not stored on the SD card. Specifically:

• any apps you've installed and their related data
  • text messages
  • phone-based contacts (but not Google contacts so long as they're synced, usually an automatic thing)

The 2.3 update is "permanent" and a factory reset won't erase it, or require you to do the update again.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I have had my EVO for less than 24 hours and looked so forward to discussing the sky with my grandkids on campouts.

Sprint store knows nothing about this problem.

Called HTC support, they say they don't know anything about it.

Appreicate the blog...

I have Software version 4.22.621.2

When I select update software the EVO says none available.

Where do I get Patch: 4.24.651.1

Is it in fact finally fixed???

Highlighted
Journeyman

No the problem is not fixed. I have gotten Sprint to acknowledge the problem and they have said a fix is on the way. They would not provide an ETA other than to say "weeks". Newer EVOs phones may not have the problem. I am considering asking for compensation at this point. My phone has lost major functionality and it has been two months.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Has there been any further updates to this issue? I've called Sprint and HTC and all they do is refer you to each other.

Paul

Highlighted
GrandMaster

are you fully current with all the updates and so on? there was a fix that came out last year if i remember right. you should be running android version 2.3.3 gingerbread with software number 4.54.651.1

from the main screen hit menu-settings-about phone-software information

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Highlighted
Journeyman

Yeah. Everything is up to the current software versions in your post. I have some apps that I have been wanting to use that require a compass and was wondering if there was still issues with the kernel that was causing erroneous operation?

Paul

Highlighted
GrandMaster

i cant say compass wise but i know there havent been any issues with driving directions and what not. worst case scenario download the compass again or pull it up and see if its pointing in the correct direction. plus the original poster said his is now working correctly after the latest maintenance release...or the one right before that...not sure which one addressed this

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Community News

Our Community is currently set to Read Only due the pandemic's affect on our staffing .
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat