Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Evo Update 2.3.3. - Compass Problem

Go to solution
Highlighted
Journeyman

I'm in CA and updated two phones this AM.

Highlighted
GrandMaster

ditto for northern CA

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Highlighted
Journeyman

I am assuming you did that via Menu->Settings->System Updates->HTC Software update? If that's the case then I guess the rollout isn't across the board yet. Here on the east coast of the US I don't see an update yet.

Highlighted
GrandMaster

its basically the same as the gingerbread update. some people got lucky (or unlucky..however you want to look at it) and got the upate on the first couple tries. others not so lucky. same goes with this one. alot of the people that have already downloaded it are out in the east coast.

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Highlighted
Journeyman

Can someone tell me what I'm doing wrong?  After doing the 2nd update yesterday, my compass and Google Sky Maps still don't work right.

Also, when I go into my music app to view albums on my SD card, sometimes it will show some albums twice, and some of the songs will be in one of the albums and the rest will be in the other.  Before 2.3, each album only appeared once.

Highlighted
Wizard

Anyone else no longer seeing this problem after the latest update?  

Highlighted
Journeyman

Google Sky started working after the update which means the compass is working. The compass program did not work which means there is something wrong with the way that particular app uses the hardware. Overall I believe HTC/Sprint fixed the problem.

Highlighted
Journeyman

My Google Sky still does not work...any thoughts?

Highlighted
Journeyman

Ok, a little update...I can do the figure 8 to recalibrate and the compass and sky map apps work for a short time, but if I close the app and open again, the compass is out of whack again.  Any ideas?

Anyone have any ideas why the albums in my music app are showing multiple times?  Going to try clearing off the SD card tomorrow and reloading.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I would try clearing the data for the app through manage application, might try the same for your music player, shouldn't affect your sd card but I would remove it to be sure.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Tried all of that...compass and sky map still lose calibration when program is closed and opened again.  Even reinstalled them and same thing.

For music player...completely wiped the SD card and reloaded all of my music.  Some albums are still showing up twice with some songs in one of the albums and the rest of the songs in the other album.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I had a similar compass problem a few months ago with a new EVO running Froyo. Wild behavior, calibrate, compass would be fine - until I switched away or even simply blanked the display using the power button. Switch off, switch back on, unlock; still running compass or Sky Map but the compass behavior would be whacked and need calibration again.

Since that phone was within its 30 days I was able to exchange it, and the replacement phone had no compass problems. If you don't have the option to return your phone, you might try a factory reset (if you haven't already done so). I can't say for sure if yours is a hardware problem but it's a possibility. Really frustrating I know...

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat