cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Evo battery draining faster after update

Journeyman

Evo battery draining faster after update

I have an issue with the 6/28 update that seems to be causing my battery to drain faster than before.  If I turn on 4g, then turn it off, and go about my normal business, the battery is draining at an alarming rate.  The only thing I can see is this message in the logcat:

06-29 15:22:47.797 I/Wimax   (   94): <DC> Try to establish a connection to DC server.

06-29 15:22:47.800 E/Wimax   (   94): <DC CONNECT> IO error: msg='/127.0.0.1:7771 - Connection refused'

It is repeating this every 2 seconds.  Something is continually running.  If I reboot the phone, 4g off, this message does not show up, and battery life seems fine.

Please help confirm or deny this issue!  This is not good.

Tags (2)
16 REPLIES 16
Journeyman

Re: Evo battery draining faster after update

with 4g off it should not be trying to connect. but who knows

Journeyman

I have noticed the exact same thing.  I turned on the 4g antenna, didn't get reception so I turned the 4g off again.  After that, the issue described by craighuber7 started happening until I restarted the phone.  Please look into this Sprint, we don't want more people complaining in blogs about more battery problems with the EVO.

Journeyman

I see the same message over and over again
Do you have 4G in your area?

Actually right after the update i've seen reasonable drainage rate around 3-4% per hour with 4G, if i not forgot this (i've posted that somewhere). This is still 4 times larger but still kind of reasonable, since it means the battery will last more than a half day if you forgot to switch 4G manually (what the joke!).  It disappeared later the day and I've not seen "good" rates since.

That could be the reason of catastrophic 4G drainage 20% per hour which kills battery in 4 hours when the phone is just completely idle. Do you have the same drainage rate ? Do not put this phone under the pillow, the battery could get extremely hot (see complete Battery info by voice dialing "Open Battery Info")

THE 4 IS D@MN BAD NUMBER for this phone !!!

Journeyman

Yes I have 4g in my area.  I need run some tests on what it's doing when 4g is on, but nothing is syncing.  There's a real problem here somewhere, just wish Sprint would do something about it on an otherwise great phone!

Sprint, if you're listening, I'm more than happy to work with your techs to figure this out!

Craig

Journeyman

Plz run my test , it's just 30 min to 1 hour. Measure battery % before - measure battery % after - done.

Journeyman

I am trying to understand if 4G drainage is hardware (radios) design failure/fault, software power management fault, my own phone fault or my own problem (say, installed some BS which made the mess with 4G). Do the test please. It's just 30 minutes

Journeyman

This is totally unscientific, as it really depends on what you have running in the background, but my data doesn't look too bad.

-30 minute intervals

-Not using the phone at all.  screen off.

WIFI on:

74% to 73%

WIFI Off, 4G on

72% to 70%

4G off, wifi back on

70% to 70%

System panel shows less than 3% CPU activity the entire time these tests were run.

Journeyman

Thanks. In your case drainage 4G drains 4% per hour.

Can i ask you to do the same test but on 3G and for longer time (overnight )?

All, please do too

Journeyman

I recently upgraded to Android 2.2 on my EVO phone.

I noticed my battery getting very warm, and the battery life being very short.

I checked my alogcat and noticed that qik was constantly trying to connect. So i killed that process.

I also noticed that it was also getting those exact same errors.

I turned off 4G and restarted the phone (re-killed qik) and it appears to have fixed the error.

However, it is odd that 4G would create this problem.  Is there a way to have 4G turned on and not eat up my battery life?

Highlighted

Same problem: After using 4G, then turning it off, alogcat will show all these

E/Wimax (108): <DC CONNECT> IO error: msg='/127.0.01:7771 - Connection refused'

this means that:

- something with wimax is continuously trying to connect to another service that is supposed to be running but is not (local service @ port 7771)

- something with wimax was supposed to shut down (DC CONNECT?) but did not, and is still trying to connect the service that is not running

This will KILL your battery in a manner of hours unless you either:

- turn 4g back on or

- leave 4g off then shut down and restart (and leave 4g off).

device: stock htc evo 4g

android: 2.2

baseband: 2.15.00.07.28

kernel: 2.6.32.15-g746f4f0 htc-kernel@and18-2 %#58

build: 3.26.651.6 cl218634 release-keys

software: 3.26.651.6

browser 3.1

pri: 1.40_003

prl: 60669

Journeyman

I am still getting this issue. Has anyone found a better solution than rebooting the phone?  It really needs to be fixed!

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Friday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat