cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Exchange ActiveSync error: "Failed to create the account please try again later"

Journeyman

Exchange ActiveSync error: "Failed to create the account please try again later"

When attempting to connect to an Exchange Active Sync server, I receive the following error in the final step: "Failed to create the account please try again later".

- Exchange ActiveSync Server is configured correctly - works for other devices.

- Tried it on other HTC Evo phones running Android 2.1 - same error

Has anybody else run into this? Are there any workarounds?

10 REPLIES
Journeyman

Re: Exchange ActiveSync error: "Failed to create the account please try again later"

I have the exact same problem.  I called Sprint and they claimed that there was an upcomming patch to fix it.  Well that patch came out today and I am still having the same issue.

Patron

Re: Exchange ActiveSync error: "Failed to create the account please try again later"

Where did you find the patch?  I tried updating my phone for firmware and software and it said no updates were avaialble.  I am having the same issues as you.

Journeyman

Still getting this error as well after the recent OTA update.

Patron

I got the update late last night.  It installed fine. However, the active sync issue is not fixed at least not on my phone.  So still waiting for a fix.

Journeyman

I have the same problem. I have called sprint. They offered to let me down load touchdown for active sync. They would credit my sprint account the cost of the program.

It is not a fix but it is a workaround.

I really hope sprint or htc can fix this or i will need to go back to blackberry

Journeyman

Every once in awhile I forget what I did to get something to work and decided to finally post it so it would stay on these sites forever...

Sprint < I have been in the computer business for over 17 years and I know what I am talking about and can offer your clients a solution and save you future headaches if you leave this up for everyone> so don't delete it!

First off don't blame sprint, don't blame HTC!!!
for the error
"Exchange ActiveSync error:
Failed to create the account please try again later"

I got this working and forgot how I got it working and then after 3 hours of browsing the net I found out what I did and was able to mimic the steps all over again.

First and foremost you must follow these directions exactly as they are written then after you finish following them you will need to go back and remove anything that refers to SSL or port 443.

Finally you will have a working HTC EVO 4G or any Android OS working fully.

Once again you can get me to list more stuff free and teach you whatever you need to know
by simply emailing me at:

tech@anrass.com and ask for Corey Albright

Also remember the ignorant skip around and don't read the real pros sit down and actually read.

1.Start the Internet Information Services (IIS) Microsoft Management Server (MMS) snap-in on the Windows SBS 2003-based computer.
2.Expand Server_Name\Web Sites\Default Web Site.
3.Right-click Exchange-OMA, and then follow these steps:
1.Verify the following settings on the Virtual Directory tab:
■The following check boxes are selected:
■Script source access
■Read
■Write
■Directory browsing
■Log visits
■Index this resource
■Application name is unavailable, and Default Application is listed.
■The Execute permissions setting is None.
■The Application pool setting is unavailable, and ExchangeApplicationPool is listed.
2.Verify the following settings on the Directory Security tab:
■The Enable anonymous access check box is not selected.
■The Integrated Windows authentication check box is selected.
■The Basic authentication check box is selected.
■The Require secure channel (SSL) check box is not selected.
3.Close the Exchange-OMA Properties dialog box.
4.Right-click OMA, and then follow these steps:
■Read
■Log visits
■Index this resource
■The Application name setting is /LM/W3SVC/1/root/OMA.
■The Execute permissions setting is Scripts only.
■The Application pool setting is ExchangeMobileBrowseApplicationPool.
■The Integrated Windows authentication check box is not selected.
3.Close the OMA Properties dialog box.
5.Right-click Microsoft-Server-ActiveSync, and then follow these steps:
■Log visits
■Index this resource
■The Application name setting is /LM/W3SVC/1/root/Microsoft-Server-ActiveSync.
■The Execute permissions setting is Scripts and Executables.
■The Application pool setting is ExchangeApplicationPool.
6.Run the iisreset /noforce computer_name command to restart IIS on the Windows SBS 2003-based computer.

Journeyman

Every once in awhile I forget what I did to get something to work and decided to finally post it so it would stay on these sites forever...

Sprint < I have been in the computer business for over 17 years and I know what I am talking about and can offer your clients a solution and save you future headaches if you leave this up for everyone> so don't delete it!

First off don't blame sprint, don't blame HTC!!!
for the error
"Exchange ActiveSync error:
Failed to create the account please try again later"

I got this working and forgot how I got it working and then after 3 hours of browsing the net I found out what I did and was able to mimic the steps all over again.

First and foremost you must follow these directions exactly as they are written then after you finish following them you will need to go back and remove anything that refers to SSL or port 443.

Finally you will have a working HTC EVO 4G or any Android OS working fully.

Once again you can get me to list more stuff free and teach you whatever you need to know
by simply emailing me at:

tech@anrass.com and ask for Corey Albright

Also remember the ignorant skip around and don't read the real pros sit down and actually read.

1.Start the Internet Information Services (IIS) Microsoft Management Server (MMS) snap-in on the Windows SBS 2003-based computer.
2.Expand Server_Name\Web Sites\Default Web Site.
3.Right-click Exchange-OMA, and then follow these steps:
■Script source access
■Read
■Write
■Directory browsing
■Log visits
■Index this resource
■Application name is unavailable, and Default Application is listed.
■The Execute permissions setting is None.
■The Application pool setting is unavailable, and ExchangeApplicationPool is listed.
■The Integrated Windows authentication check box is selected.
3.Close the Exchange-OMA Properties dialog box.
4.Right-click OMA, and then follow these steps:
■Read
■Log visits
■Index this resource
■The Application name setting is /LM/W3SVC/1/root/OMA.
■The Execute permissions setting is Scripts only.
■The Application pool setting is ExchangeMobileBrowseApplicationPool.
3.Close the OMA Properties dialog box.
5.Right-click Microsoft-Server-ActiveSync, and then follow these steps:
■Log visits
■Index this resource
■The Application name setting is /LM/W3SVC/1/root/Microsoft-Server-ActiveSync.
■The Execute permissions setting is Scripts and Executables.
■The Application pool setting is ExchangeApplicationPool.
6.Run the iisreset /noforce computer_name command to restart IIS on the Windows SBS 2003-based computer.

Journeyman

This is all well and good for people using 7 year old Exchange technology, but some (hopefullyMOST) have newer versions of Exchange running.  Any idea on what to do with this on Exchange 2010 with Server 2008R2?  We have IIS 7 and everything you have said here is not availabl in that environment.

Thanks

Message was edited by: ericc6169

Highlighted
Journeyman

I spent the last month fooling around with my server (WINSRV2K3+EXCHANGE2K3) because i just couldn't get my htc evo to work with activesync. you do not have to disable the ssl ecryption. i don't really think that any administrator at an office would do that just for you to sync your phone also this is not a problem that has to do with the phone or the os programming.

anyway  the first thing you have to do is make sure that everything on your server is working properly, configure owa and make sure that it works using ssl.

SSL Ceritificate info http://www.petri.co.il/configure_ssl_on_owa.htm

OWA info http://www.petri.co.il/configuring_forms_based_authentication_in_exchange_2003.htm

OMA info http://www.petri.co.il/configure_oma.htm

example, https://yourserverip/exchange. you should be able to install the certificate and then it would ask you for credentials, if you are able to log in and check your outlook account now on your server follow this steps from microsoft.

if anyone needs help. my email is kleissen86@gmail.com

Exchange ActiveSync and Outlook Mobile Access errors  occur when SSL or forms-based authentication is required for Exchange  Server 2003

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/817379

1. Open Exchange Manager.
  2. Expand Administrative Groups, expand the first administrative group, and then expand Servers.
  3. Expand the server container for the Exchange Server 2003 server that you will be configuring, expand Protocols, and then expand HTTP.
  4. Under the HTTP container, right-click the Exchange Virtual Server container, and then click Properties.
  5. Click the Settings tab, clear the Enable Forms Based Authentication check box, and then click OK.
  6. Close Exchange Manager.
  7. Click Start, click Run, type IISRESET/NOFORCE, and then press ENTER to restart Internet Information Services (IIS).

Create a secondary virtual directory for Exchange server

You   must use Internet IIS Manager to create this virtual directory for Exchange   ActiveSync and Outlook Mobile Access to work. If you are using Windows Server   2003, follow these steps:

1. Start Internet Information Services (IIS) Manager.
  2. Locate the Exchange virtual directory. The default location is as follows:
    Web Sites\Default Web Site\Exchange
  3. Right-click the Exchange virtual directory, click All Tasks, and then click Save Configuration to a File.
  4. In the File name box, type a name. For example, type ExchangeVDir. Click OK.
  5. Right-click the root of this Web site. Typically, this is Default Web Site. Click New, and then click Virtual Directory (from file).
  6. In the Import Configuration dialog box, click Browse, locate the file that you created in step 4, click Open, and then click Read File.
  7. Under Select a configuration to import , click Exchange, and then click OK.

A dialog box will appear that states that the "virtual directory already exists."
  8. Select the Create a new virtual directory option.  In the Alias box, type a name for the new virtual directory that you want Exchange ActiveSync and Outlook Mobile Access to use. For example, type exchange-oma. Click OK.
  9. Right-click the new virtual directory. In this example, click exchange-oma. Click Properties.
  10. Click the Directory Security tab.
  11. Under Authentication and access control, click Edit.
  12. Make sure that only the following authentication methods are enabled, and then click OK
    • Integrated Windows authentication
    • Basic authentication
  13. On the Directory Security tab, under IP address and domain name restrictions, click Edit.
  14. Click the option for Denied access, click Add, click Single computer and type the IP address of the server that you are configuring, and then click OK twice.
  15. Under Secure communications, click Edit. Make sure that Require secure channel (SSL) is not enabled, and then click OK.
  16. Click OK, and then close the IIS Manager.
  17. Click Start, click Run, type regedit, and then click OK.
  18. Locate the following registry subkey:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\MasSync\Parameters
  19. Right-click Parameters, click to New, and then click String Value.
  20. Type ExchangeVDir, and then press ENTER. Right-click ExchangeVDir, and then click Modify.

NoteExchangeVDir is case-sensitive. If you do not type ExchangeVDir exactly as it appears in this article, ActiveSync does not find the key when it locates the exchange-oma folder.
  21. In the Value data box, type the name of the new virtual directory that you created in step 8. For example, type /exchange-oma. Click OK.
  22. Quit Registry Editor.
  23. Restart the IIS Admin service. To do this, follow these steps: 
    1. Click Start, click Run, type services.msc, and then click OK.
    2. In the list of services, right-click IIS Admin service, and then click Restart.
  24. If you want to reuse Forms-based Authentication on the Exchange server, follow these steps to re-enable Forms-based Authentication on the /Exchange virtual directory in Exchange System Manager.
    1. Open Exchange Manager.
    2. Expand Administrative Groups, expand the first administrative group, and then expand Servers.
    3. Expand the server container for the Exchange Server 2003 server that you will be configuring, expand Protocols, and then expand HTTP.
    4. Under the HTTP container, right-click the Exchange Virtual Server container, and then click Properties.
    5. Click the Settings tab, click to select the Enable Forms Based Authentication check box, and then click OK.
    6. Close Exchange Manager.
    7. Click Start, click Run, type IISRESET/NOFORCE, and then press ENTER to restart Internet Information Services (IIS).

Note If the server is Microsoft Windows Small Business Server 2003   (SBS), the name of the Exchange OMA virtual directory must be exchange-oma.

The integrated setup of Microsoft Windows Small Business   Server 2003 creates the exchange-oma virtual directory in IIS. Additionally, it points the   ExchangeVDir registry key to /exchange-oma during the initial installation. Other SBS wizards, such as the Configure E-mail and Internet Connection Wizard (CEICW) also expect the virtual directory name in IIS to be exchange-oma.

To access the contents of a user's mailbox in Exchange   Server 2003, the Microsoft-Server-ActiveSync and the Outlook Mobile Access   virtual directories make an explicit DAV logon to the Exchange virtual   directory. The call is similar to the following:
http://netbios_name_of_mailbox_server/exchange/mailbox_alias
The Microsoft-Server-ActiveSync and Outlook Mobile Access virtual   directories cannot access the contents of the user's mailbox if the Exchange   virtual directory is configured to require SSL. The Microsoft-Server-ActiveSync   and Outlook Mobile Access virtual directories only try to connect with the   Exchange virtual directory over TCP port 80 (HTTP), not over TCP Port 443   (HTTPS).

Outlook Mobile Access tries to connect to the Exchange   virtual directory by using all the following authentication methods:   
  • Kerberos
  • NTLM
  • Basic
When you configure forms-based authentication on the Exchange   Server 2003, the authentication method for the Exchange virtual directory is   set to Basic authentication, and the default Domain is set to the backslash   character. The Microsoft-Server-ActiveSync virtual directory can only connect   to the Exchange virtual directory by using Kerberos   authentication.
Journeyman

This issue is more erratic than indicated by these posts and is not limited to Exchange.

I  have a Zimbra email system, I have over 80 mobile devices accessing  email from it (varied flavors from Apple to Windows Mobile and  everything between) and I got this error on a new device today. 

I  had a users show up with a Sprint HTC EVO and got the error, I  personally use the same phone and I don't have the error.  I checked and  both phones are running the same version of EVERYTHING on the phone.  I  tried both the users account and my account (which works on my phone), I  created a test account...all with no luck.  I don't have the same logs  to review as suggested (they point to a rights issue on  the Exchange server web folder), but if it were rights I would have this  with other accounts or at the very least it would work with an account  that works on another device.

I doubt this is information is much help but maybe it will keep us from chasing our tails.

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Friday 6:30 AM CT - 5:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat