cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Extend Battery Life

Highlighted
Journeyman

Extend Battery Life

1. what is the best current application that helps to turn off and shut down the phone so to extend the battery life throughout the day?

2. I was referred to a market application Turbodroid but i have been unable to relocate it on the market or any referrals to it by any other boards.

3. My friend tried sharing the application and the link didnt help

Is there a better application out there?

13 REPLIES 13
Journeyman

Extend Battery Life

I have had some luck with an app called "Juice Defender", available in the Market.  Seems to improve battery life by around 15% or so.  Bear in mind that any gain made by an app that selectively turns things on/off is going to be partially offset by having yet another app running in the background consuming power. 

Also have you tried this trick:

To also help with Battery Life you can do these steps exactly: 1) Turn your device ON and Charge the device for 8 hours or more 2) Unplug the device and Turn the phone OFF and charge for 1 hour 3) Unplug the device Turn ON wait 2 minutes and Turn OFF and charge for another hour Your battery life should almost double, we have tested this on our devices and other agents have seen a major difference as well.

Some people swear that it makes a significant difference.  I haven't tried it yet, so can't say one way or the other.

Good luck!

GrandMaster

Extend Battery Life

it does actually help. on stock batteries its noticable but nothing to really brag about. on the extended batteries i have heard of people getting 48 hours on a charge after doing this. before that they were getting roughly 20-30 hours. so yes it does work.

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Master

Re: Extend Battery Life

There are many ways that you can improve overall battery performance.

The multiple radios on this device will use battery life even when you're not using them, to improve battery life turn off Bluetooth, GPS, 4G WIFI, and WIFI Sprint Mobile Hotspot if you're not using them.

The 4g radio should only be turned ON when the improved network speed is required for an application, such as YouTube/Web Browsing or Sprint Mobile Hotspot.

If you've Live Wallpaper, it uses significantly more battery than standard wallpapers when your screen is on.

Before you're ready to charge your phone you can view what has been using your battery during the charge cycle Settings-about phone- Battery use.

If you have Email and email settings allow you to setup peak and off peak hours for email sync on each email account. Generally, less frequent syncing+ Better battery life.

3rd pty applications that you download from Market place often times have not been designed with battery life in mind. Many of these applications significantly impact your battery life and quite often they remain running even when you exit the application.

GrandMaster

Extend Battery Life

turning off "data always on" is a good way to save on battery as well. one app i did notice always runs in the background was yahoo messanger. you can force stop it but it starts right back up as soon as you restart your phone. i noticed a good jump in battery life since i didnt reload it after my last FR.

the main ones people dont really remember to adjust sync wise is email, weather and if they have things like facebook sync'd. how often they update is the big one. i set them for once a day. if i go into any of the apps they automatically update anyways so no loss there.

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Journeyman

Extend Battery Life

Root the phone and flash a different kernel.  Preferably either Tiamut or toastmod or even something like Golden Monkey.  All of those kernels have significantly better voltage handling than the crap kernel that HTC has loaded.  My phone used to last about 4 hours (no exaggeration at all) with everything that I did on it.  Now my phone lasts all day and I didn't have to download any bogus apps or change my usage habits at all.  Rooting the phone and flashing a good kernel takes about 15 minutes to do and you only have to do it once.  Then you go about using your phone like normal without having to play with app settings or tweaking system syncs and whatnot.  Way better than juice defender or any other battery app I've tried and a heck of a lot cheaper than buying an extended battery + cover.

Journeyman

Extend Battery Life

Yes, I agree that you need to Root the EVO. Its a great phone, but even better when you root with admin rights that you can remove the bloat ware. No matter what you do, you will always be limited by the huge screen on the EVO which eats up the battery like a billboard. For every minute that you have the screen on you lose between 1/2 to 1% of the battery per minute. Probably because A, the screen eats a lot of power and B the phone is totally awake. If I use my EVO as a phone, little screen use it will last just over a day, almost two days. But when I'm on the screen, barely a day.

Also, your phone will roam for data inside buildings because of the way cell phone signals work. My phone would roam for data and eat my battery. I used the Wifi in buildings at work (yes I'm lucky to have that) and at home and leave my Wifi on and that dramatically improved my battery life. I also unchecked roam for data.

Journeyman

Extend Battery Life

How do you root the phone and flash a different kernel.

Journeyman

Extend Battery Life

I'll have to make more than one post, this crap website logs me off if I take more than 1 minute to post.

Journeyman

Extend Battery Life

Use www.unrevoked.com which is a website that changes your phone to give you admin rights to your EVO. The process is very simple and when I followed the procedures on the website, it took 30 seconds. unrevoked.com has to modify their software to work with the latest Sprint updates and they may not have the one for the latest update last month. I used unrevoked, then I had to download a rooted ROM from the XDA developers website, download to my phone and install. If you do get unrevoked.com to work, first thing you do is back up your phone. Take the battery in/out and then hold down the volume button and use the 'backup restore' feature and do a full back up of your phone, (takes a while). Then you can use Titanium back up to un-install the apps. DO NOT REMOVE FRIENDS STREAM which will cause your phone to stick on 'sync'. But if you do a back up, knock yourself out and if you blow it, just restore and voila! back to the way it was. But remove the Sprint stuff

Journeyman

Extend Battery Life

manuals, games and you can also use Titanium to 'freeze' apps which keeps the apps installed, but freezes them from running and if you want to use them later, you can 'thaw' and use it. Such as Qik video chat. But I have the latest OTA which greatly extended my battery life and my EVO is one awesome machine. I leave GPS, Wifi, Bluetooh on all day long and I get 14 hours of general usage time out of it. Two days if I use it just as a phone. The way my EVO works now I would not consider any type of upgraded phone because the phone is bug free and never hiccups.

Journeyman

Extend Battery Life

Post if you need more info...

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat