Sprint Community is Read Only. Please use the My Sprint app or Sprint.com to manage your account. If you need assistance, please visit Sprint.com/chat or visit community.t-mobile.com
Sprint Community is Read Only. Please use the My Sprint app or Sprint.com to manage your account. If you need assistance, please visit Sprint.com/chat or visit community.t-mobile.com
Sprint Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

General Question

Journeyman

General Question

How hard would it be for Sprint to say the GB update is a total mess and release a downgrade/restore to froyo  patch

dont tell me they cant they just dont want to  so people will just scrap the borked phones and buy new....

I really think as Sprint having the best Customerservice acording to some survey would gain a lot of respect if they admited they were wrong and made it right..... but since it has been brought up at nauseum

sprint says there is nothing wrong  so all these folks who just happened to update to GB now  all quincidentiallly have the exact problems humm must be sunspots or something

Thanks and hope this stats some good discussion  i am a noob and would like to see how this all works

1 REPLY 1
Journeyman

There's a lot of blame to be spread around on this one, not just Sprint.  Android is a complicated amalgamation of code from Google, HTC, with a little touch from Sprint too (I just don't know what I'd do without that Sprint NASCAR app. Yeehaw! /sarcasm).

Having said that, I'll add this:  Blame game aside, Sprint is the one who will catch the most fallout over the issues - and for the most part, rightly so.  Acceptance testing should have been performed by the customer (Sprint) before accepting the build from their vendor (HTC).  This is not just my opinion, this is industry standard practice.  Brand new phones shipping with 2.3.3 exhibit many of the same problems that have been noted in the forums.  Some of them are so blatantly obvious as to be near impossible to miss.  Either testing wasn't done, wasn't done properly, or the decision was made to release the build despite the problems.  There are few other explanations, none of which are acceptable to the end user.  

[By the way, I'm not talking out of my rear on this subject. I've been in the QA industry for more than fifteen years, the last ten of which in senior positions for a major PC maker (by major, I mean revenue in the billions) . And yes, we make Android devices too.  Had one of our teams signed off on something this buggy, everyone involved - from the PM on down to the lowliest of techs would be out looking for work.]

I wouldn't say Sprint has the best customer service. I wouldn't even say they have good customer service.  What they do have are policies that are generally reasonable, particularly for repairs and replacements.  Sprint also has more "bang for the buck".  Beyond that, expecting decent customer service from Sprint is somewhat akin to urinating into the wind.  Need something in the Sprint store? Be prepared to wait. "You made an appointment? Oh, that's just an appointment to get you checked in.  You're still going to have to wait at least 30 minutes to buy that accessory." Got an issue with your phone or account? No problem. "Bob" (who sounds strikingly middle-eastern, and doesn't know anything other than to follow a flowchart) will be glad to assist you. Go ahead and do that hard reset though, because it might just fix the USB port that fell out in your hand.

Yes, it would absolutely be possible to release a downgrade back to Froyo, although it would likely require the assistance of HTC. The restrictions currently in place on downgrading are only software/firmware restrictions. HTC has the keys and tools necessary to get around this. But don't count on it happening.  People who have phones with S-OFF can do this too.  Best bet is to wait until the modding community figures out a way around the latest HBOOT.  Unfortunately, one of the few things that HTC managed to get right in this release was locking down our hardware.

Sunspots, LOL I always loved that excuse.  I've also heard cosmic rays blamed more than once too.  If only these phenomenon wouldn't just happen to coincide with software releases!

Go ahead, flame on. Anyone with a clue knows I'm right.

/gets fire-suit

Community News

Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat