cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gingerbread update is rumored! No official announcement.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Hi all,

I am on the bandwagon with all of you hoping Gingerbread is coming to our phones. Only problem with that, originally it was said that it was for the tablets only. Now rumor is it will be released to our phones.

I feel that this is just what it is, a rumor. Even if it turns out to be true, I don't see HTC and Sprint sending it anytime or ever in the near future or for any of the current phones being sold. The maintenance release 3.70.651.1 almost trashed our phones to include not being able to use 4G and the Hotspot at the same time (this means we are being ripped off paying the extra $10 data usage that we can't use).

That being said, I have a rebate coming at the end of the year and having high hopes Sprint gets a dual proccessor phone that was developed last year (so long as it isn't made by anyone but HTC).

Thanks for letting me vent.

8 REPLIES 8
Journeyman

Re: Gingerbread update is rumored! No official announcement.

The Android specific to tablets in 3.0 (Honeyomb), not Gingerbread 2.3.  Vent if you must (and I take it as such since not much of your post makes sense), but you give no supporting reasoning why Sprint wouldn't provide Gingerbread.  I have read that 2.4 is due to developers in April, so Sprint indeed may decide to skip 2.3.  Neither I nor anyone I know has the problem you have with Hotspot and we all have the update.

Journeyman

I have read probably the same news on the net as you have but, it still isn't confirmed on Sprint, HTC or Google that any Gingerbread is in the works for phones, still rumor...Make sense now!!! I don't need to explain why they wouldn't. Read my first sentence.

You may be the only lucky one to not have issues with the maintenance release. If so a nice reply why on this thread (http://community.sprint.com/baw/thread/53772) would probably help. Someone offered some help as a fix but, I cannot get any of them to work. Even Sprint admitedly says there are issues with the maintenance release.

Message was edited by: JET1959MO

Message was edited by: JET1959MO

Journeyman

Actually,

Gingerbread (Android 2.3) is shipped on the google Nexus S (http://www.google.com/nexus/#) which started shipping in December, and an upgrade from Froyo (2.2) to Gingerbread (2.3) is in the works for many devices, however, there has been no official word for the EVO. Honeycomb (Android 3.0) is the OS that is dual core processor only (and so far tablet - only).

Journeyman

I just spoke with an HTC representative last night (about a different issues) and he stated he received an internal e-mail stating that the EVO would get the gingerbread 2.3 update in the 2nd quarter of 2011.

Journeyman

Only Sprint would know when the EVO will get the release.

Journeyman

Yep you're right.

As I stated, it was from *HTC*, and he said 2nd quarter 2011 - April, May, June is the 2nd quarter, that is when they, *HTC*, will be releasing it, according to the rep.  The rest is conjecture. And up to Sprint.

Journeyman

I think it is also safe to assume that HTC wouldn't be working on/planning for Gingerbread on the Evo, unless they intend on getting $$$ from Sprint.  Hard to believe HTC would spend resources on a software build that may not get released.

Journeyman

All this hype over 2.3 with hopes that it would probably improve the phone's performance. I already have a few co-workers running on a rooted phone running on Gingerbread and it's really not that much different than 2.2. The thing that makes a whole lot of difference is eliminating (reversing) the latest "maintenance" release that HTC sent OTA that messed up everybody's phones. That's the last time I 'trust' an OTA MR from HTC. I'd rather have Sprint push for more 4G coverage since the whole $10 extra for 'premium' data with 'limited' coverage is a total debacle. Without 4G available in your area, it won't matter if you're running 2.2 or 2.3. You'll be basically using a phone where 4G was one of the main selling points (while you pay an extra $10) yet your phone is constantly on 3G 95% of the time.

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat