Sprint Community is currently read-only. Please use the My Sprint app or Sprint.com to manage your account. If you need assistance, please visit Sprint.com/chat
Sprint Community is currently read-only. Please use the My Sprint app or Sprint.com to manage your account. If you need assistance, please visit Sprint.com/chat
Sprint Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Google Talk on 3G: "Could not connect to server - Will retry shortly"

Journeyman

Google Talk on 3G: "Could not connect to server - Will retry shortly"

I'm having a frustrating experience trying to use Google Talk when connected via the Sprint 3g network. For periods of time ranging from a few minutes to several hours, I get the error "Could not connect to server - Will retry shortly" when trying to connect to Talk. During this time, I'm also unable to download or update Market applications (they get stuck on "Starting Download"). Switching to a Wifi network always resolves the issue immediately. This problem often starts to happen after a phone call, or after switching from wifi to 3g, but in addition to that, Google Talk sometimes disconnects randomly when connected via 3g.

I had a dissapointing tech support experience when I called Sprint a couple days ago. The rep ended up blaming Google, and asked me to call them. This does not make much sense, since the same Google services work perfectly over wifi, and they work perfectly for my coworkers with Verizon Droids.

2 REPLIES 2
Highlighted
Sprint Product Ambassador

Re: Google Talk on 3G: "Could not connect to server - Will retry shortly"

Can you connect to Google Talk via the 3G network in other parts of town?  It sounds like there may be some congestion on the network causing timeouts or latency.

Product Ambassador, long time Sprint employee
Highlighted
Wizard

Re: Google Talk on 3G: "Could not connect to server - Will retry shortly"

Yeah, this for sure is up and down for me with logging into Google Talk and OMG trying to play Youtube videos......  Sprint's network has a lot of latency issues in my area (Madison, WI). They really should put up a few more towers or something.....the most frustrating part about Sprint (or probably any network, don't know, I've only used Sprint) is attend a big event like a football or baseball game and try to send picture mail, facebook uploads, texts, etc. and NOTHING goes through, just a bunch of failed to deliver messages.  Pretty much worthless when you'd want to share things the most or perhaps when you need to get in contact with people in case you get lost, etc.  I will say that when I was in STL and 4G was on near the Cardinals game, I was able to move stuff easily to the nets.  Sprint needs to work on this ASAP, IMO.

Community News

Our Community is currently set to Read Only due the pandemic's affect on our staffing .
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat