Sprint Community is Read Only. Please use the My Sprint app or Sprint.com to manage your account. If you need assistance, please visit Sprint.com/chat or visit community.t-mobile.com
Sprint Community is Read Only. Please use the My Sprint app or Sprint.com to manage your account. If you need assistance, please visit Sprint.com/chat or visit community.t-mobile.com
Sprint Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HELP!! Low on space, but can't remove apps I don't use

Journeyman

HELP!! Low on space, but can't remove apps I don't use

IMy phone is practically always indicating it's low on space.  How can I remove apps that I don't use like Blockbuster, NOVA, Kindle, etc.?

This is very frustrating, because there are some apps I would love to use, but because of the low space I can't.  I've moved as many apps to the SD card as I can see have the option, but don't know what else to do.

I am strongly considering getting the iPhone 4S even though I'd have to pay the full price since I have about 6 months before I can "save $150", but since Milwaukee still doesn't have 4G, I don't think I'd mind getting rid of my HTC EVO 4G at this point.

Any other ideas on how to make more room on my EVO 4G?

12 REPLIES 12
GrandMaster

its a known issue.  for some doing a factory reset solves the problem. for others it only holds it off for a while before it starts up again. i had the same issue and did the FR and havent had any more issues since....knock on wood

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Journeyman

Thanks Fireguy.  I'll have to give it a try.

I was thinking about rooting until I read that it would void my warranty.  If Sprint or HTC would let us remove the bloatware I wouldn't have this problem.

I suppose the EVO 4G won't get too many more updates now that the EVO 3D is out.

Journeyman

I'm with you guys on this. It's fine that Sprint does some partnership deals with Blockbuster and NASCAR. But when they start making these apps uninstallable, that's when I start getting pissed off.

What the hell is wrong with you Sprint, you like pissing off your consumers?

Journeyman

Well, I did a factory restore and I now have more internal storage.

I wonder if when the latest update was installed it didn't clean up the internal memory the way it should have.  But you'd think there'd be a easier and quicker way than doing a factory reset

GrandMaster

there is some bug in the system somewhere (could be in the update...unknown so far) that builds up memory..for some reason instead of a app taking in a certain amount of data and then dumping it it will just hold onto it. from what i have seen its been different apps for different people.

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Journeyman

Since you reset factory. Did you lose anything like phone book numbers? Pictures? save apps?

Thanks

Wizard

I think this issue is related to certain apps having issues clearing their own memory. There are a number of apps I've seen cause this. The only one I can name off the top of my head is the Facebook app. You may be able to avoid a hard reset by manually clearing the app data for some of the larger apps under manage applicationsin the settings menu. Be aware when clearing an apps data, all information added after its installation will be lost.

-Donnie

Journeyman

I've had the same problem multiple times.  It always seems to come back to my Mail application, which bloats to a huge size for an unknown reason.  I've have the phone reset multiple times.  It starts out with the mail program around 10MB, and slowly grows.  Yesterday, I started getting low memory notifications again and my mail program size was over 73 MB.  My inbox, trash, sent folders were all empty.  I've even deleted the accounts and the program is still that size.  14 hours later, the program is still growing - it's up to 89.4 MB now.  Tech support wants to blame this on my internet browsing habits and the fact that I save text messages (which I don't).  I've cleared browsing history, cache, etc.  Deleted and reinstalled email accounts.  I am getting tired of doing a hard reset on my phone every 3-4 months just to fix this problem.  Has anyone found a fix that is less drastic that a complete reset yet?

Journeyman

Rooting is the best thing I have done to my phone.  When I had the 3.70 update my phone would always run slow when I turned 4G on.  I rooted it and never went back.  You can also take the phone in with a stock rom installed so they can't tell it's rooted without checking for S-OFF.

I took mine in to get the speaker replaced not too long ago while I had ICS installed and a custom splash screen.  They fixed the speaker but now I have a VOID sticker over the middle left screw on the back.

GrandMaster

have you tried going into applications and clearing the data and cache on the app itself?

Wizard

There is a less drastic solution. It's not magical, but it's convenient. Try a cleaner app like App Cache Cleaner. You can find it on Google Play Store. The first time I ran it, I got back 17MB. You will likely have even better results.

Community News

Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat