Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HTC EVO 4G Battery Problems

Go to solution
Journeyman

Hi,

My EVO 4G has been having trouble keeping a charge.  I plug it in every night while I'm sleeping and it's at 100% when I wake up.  Then an hour later it's down to 15% or less!  I'm charging it using the AC adapter and until this weeks it's been fine.  I've checked the setting and taken any unused Apps off the phone've taken the battery out and made sure it's properly fit into the phone, I've rebooted several times.  I'm not using WiFi or Bluetooth.  The phone is just sitting there and losing life!  I've noticed in the past that when I hook the phone up to my PC at work to sync it that the connection for the USB (at the phone end) can be a little wobbly and disconnect easily, maybe that's affecting the charge?

Has anyone had this problem or know of a solution?  I'm hesitant to take it to the Sprint store because I'm afraid they'll want to do a factory reset and I'll just lose all my stuff without solving the real issue.  Please help!  I can't go more than 40 minutes without the phone being plugged in or the battery drains!

Nicole

28 REPLIES 28
Wizard

Hi Nicole -

You are doing all the right steps to determine the root cause.  It appears the battery might actually be defective.  I know you are trying to avoid taking the phone to a repair center, but if you do take it in, you can have them just run a battery load test to determine if the battery does in fact need to be replaced. 

You can find the nearest authorized repair center by visiting www.sprint.com/storelocator

Thanks

Dave

Journeyman

In the settings, under "about phone" - "battery" what does the "Battery Usage" summery say is using all the power?

GrandMaster

agreed

even running EVERY bell and whistle on this phone you should still get about 4 hours roughly with heavy use.

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Journeyman

Thanks everyone.  The Battery page says:

52% Dislay (high?)

16% Dialer

14% Voice calls

7% Cell standby

5% Mediaserver

5% Phone Idle

1% Bluetooth (even though I don't use it?)

Right now the battery is at 50% and it says it has 1h, 39m, 30s on the battery (doesn't that seem low even at 50%  I'm going to take it to the store tomorrow.  Anyone have any suggestions for how I can backup my phone in case they have to reset it?  Thanks!

Wizard

WOW! @ the Display usage... Do you have a live wallpaper running that you downloaded from the market?  I've seen some crazy ones out there that will just suck your battery dry.  Try setting your background to none or a standard picture (home>menu>wallpaper) and see if that helps.

Journeyman

No I just have a regular wallpaper picture, nothing live or animated.  I had one during the Christmas season and it never caused this kind of issue.  I have been using the phone exactly the same way now for months.  I run a white-noise app when I'm sleeping but it's always plugged in but again, I've only started having trouble this past week.  A couple of weeks ago I added the Lookout security app, have you heard of that causing any issues?  I just changed the backup setting for that to weekly instead of daily, maybe that will help?

Maybe the display is using so much battery because it's been plugged in so long trying to get charged?

GrandMaster

Funny thing is that's supposedly how gingerbread is supposed to show everything. Before gingerbread you could actually gauge what is doing what... Now? Dunno hire exactly it works. I'm running the evo 4G still and the readings are about the same., live wallpaper only raises it a couple %. That make any sence?

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Journeyman

If the charge light is on the connection is ok.I don't us the PC to charge not enough power v USB really. Is it powered off at night when you recharge?Also it you use Wifi when you can it will use less power than 3 or 4 G .

Wizard

"Before gingerbread you could actually gauge what is doing what... Now? Dunno hire exactly it works."

This threw me off a bit... Are you just saying that the battery usage app on gingerbread isn't as efficient as Froyo? I use System Panel for power management and CPU usage, seems to be a lot more informative.

Nicole -

If you just have a standard wallpaper, then your battery consumption for Display should only be a couple %.  Your screen is set to timeout after 30-60 seconds, right?  It's almost sounding like something may be corrupt on your phone.  There's no way your display should take up that much of your battery. It may have been something you downloaded for the market recently causing the issue or it could just be a bug.  I'd be interested to check your battery status after giving it a full charge tonight to see if it says the same thing tomorrow. If so, we may need to end up resetting your phone to factory default to clear out any possible bad programs/files.

Journeyman

The charge light is on, I don't charge it using the USB to the computer, only the AC adapter.  The phone is on at night when I charge it so that the white-noise app can run but still, I've been using it like that for months and no problems.  Thanks for all the insights, off to the Sprint store I go tomorrow!

Journeyman

P.S. It also takes a really long time to charge to 100%.  I've got it plugged in now but it's been hours, I know it can take up to 3 hrs.  I've had to take it in the car with me a couple of times today so I plugged it in there too.  It's a hassle because it's like I'm tied to a landline!

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat