cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HTC EVO 4G Gingerbread Broke Voice to Text

Highlighted
Journeyman

Since the gingerbread update to 2.3, I can no longer use google voice search or Vlingo in a moving vehicle.  Even after the "update to the update" it still doesn't work.  They worked flawlessly before with froyo 2.2 on all of the Evos I have been around.  Since the update it is completely useless in a moving vehicle.  There are 8 of us with Evos at my workplace and None of them work properly now.  Of course it works fine sitting in a quiet room but who needs it then?  I may even work sitting in a room with a little background noise.  Just try it in your car when traveling at 35 MPH +.  Before the update it was possible to use the Evo completly hand and eyes free, in either car while driving by using Vlingo (Car Mode).  This was something we use daily and it is a much safer way to communicate while traveling.  Since the update, it's back to eyes and hands on the phone while driving even to just make a phone call.  Even turning off the AC and muting the radio completely won't work.  Since the update the microphone icon either shows no voice at all (with Google voice) or maxed out and red (with Vlingo "In Car") depending on whether I use google voice input or vlingo input.  Neither of them work now in a moving vehicle or in a crowded place such as an airport.  I am not someone with unreal expectations or ignorant of how it is suppoed to work.  It worked fine before the update on everyone I know with an Evo and now it doesn't.  Of course we have scoured the internet and done all of the suggested fixes including a factory reset which was a total waste of time.  This is a very common problem but I am not hearing much about a fix right now.  I suppose that a lot of people don't use this feature so it hasn't gotten as much attention as the Netflix and voicemail bug did.  This is however safety related and should take a priority in any intellegent opinion.  Netflix certainly wan't going to get anyone hurt or killed. Nor was an irritating voice mail notification.  This hasn't gotten the attention simply because so many people who use the Evo aren't even aware of the Vlingo "in car" app or the usefullness of the google voice to text.  They are only trying it for the first time after reading posts like this.  But for those of us who used it daily and made it part of our decision to purchase the Evo in the first place it is a real issue.  Overall I have been exceptionally happy with my Evo and had absolutely no regrets about coming back to Sprint.  I just want my phone to work the way it did before the so called upgrade.  I'll take Froyo back in a heartbeat.  I never had any real problems with it.  The Evo was a Cadillac and now it's a Yugo!  I will never accept another OTA update again however without waiting a few weeks first to see what happens to all of the other unsuspecting "involuntary beta testers" who get this stuff forced upon them without proper testing.  Is it a coincidence that the Evo was broke just as the EVO 3D came out???????   It certainly makes one wonder.  It's been 2 months now and still no fix?  How hard can it be to fix when it worked flawlessly before?  Simply put it back or let us roll back to Froyo!  With Froyo my phone didn't crash all of the time, my battery life was fine and I could almost get 2 days out of it, I can't say that Gingerbread really improved anything.  Oh yeah, it does scroll a better now, yeppee!  Everything worked as it should before Gingerbread was forced upon us without adequate testing.

Update:  Some say that Vlingo will work now.   This is somewhat true.  It "sort of" works on the main Vlingo screen but doesn't work at all with the "in car" mode.  Remember that it worked flawlessly before and could be used with the AC and the radio on at a reasonable volume.  The way that it works now is like voice to text worked 7 years ago,,, very badly.  Remember kiddies, this stuff worked flawlessly on the Evo before the update.

Update: Some claim that clearing app data, uninstalling google maps updates, and a bunch of other stuff fixes it also.  It does not!  It is a waste of time.  This procedure was something to fix a problem with google voice to text on a different phone before gingerbread even came out for the Evo. It may be a possible fix to additional problems some have with voice to text but not the main issue we are dealing with here.  Testing it in front of a box fan or a TV will not simulate a moving vehicle.

Update:08/28/11  Sprint/HTC  finally sent out an OTH update and it seems to have resolved the voice to text issue.  I was able to install the update this morning and thoroughly test it today with Vlingo, Vlingo In car, Google Maps and Navigation, voice to text texting, and voice search.  All worked flawlessly as they did prior to Gingerbread.  I no longer feel the need to toss my expensive Evo out the car window every time I try to use voice to text.  Thank you Sprint for resolving this issue!  I can once again say that I love my Evo.

Message was edited by: Nylox2004

59 REPLIES 59
Journeyman

sprint says its Googles probem and google said its sprint/Htc problem and  we the end users get stuck in a vicious circle.  and we have to deal with equipment that no longer works they way it should. and the replys we get is "as long as you can make and recieve calls your handset is fine"

Journeyman

i agree. my evo is doing the exact same thing.

Sprint Product Ambassador

Moved your comment to the Evo 4G space -- and I've had the same issue.

Product Ambassador, long time Sprint employee
Sprint Product Ambassador

And I updated to 4.24.651.1 CL61076 just now -- seems to have fixed that problem.  Works as it did before.

Product Ambassador, long time Sprint employee
GrandMaster

go for a drive... no one has had it work once youre in a vehicle and driving more than 35+

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Journeyman

Didn't fix mine.

Journeyman

I have build CL61076 and the issue remains.  We need to stop calling this gingerbread. I imagine a gingerbread phone, Nexus S?, can handle voice to text just like froyo did.  How about moldybread?

Journeyman

Didn't fix mine either. I have the latest version of the OS, same as yours, and updated both Voice search and Google maps (after deleting their cache), and the Problem Remains. I really want to seer Sprint and Google step up to the plate and publically acknowledge and address this problem. I use this feature everyday and my phone's value has been significantly reduced since they broke this feature.

Journeyman

Since a fix does not appear to be forthcoming, can anyone tell me how I can revert to the Froyo build my phone came with? Also, what issues will I face once I revert? I use Gmail for all my contacts, so I won't lose them. Will I lose my apps and have to buy them again, or is that tracked on the server/backend?

Wizard

Hi guys - this issue is currently being looked into. As a work-around people are giving the app called "Vlingo Personal Assistant" very good reviews.

I did use Vlingo Personal Assistant and although more cumbersome to use, it does work with or without background noise. It works in situations where Voice Search use to work but no longer does.
Journeyman

I have a Fix for this. I bought a HTC EVO 3D. Tested it yesterday on the way home and It worked while driving 70 on the freeway. Of course this fix will cost you at least $199 plus tax. It also led me to wonder if HTC or Sprint used some of the same code on the 3D for the 4G 2.3 upgrade. The possible problem with doing that is the 3D has dual mic setup. I'm not sure is it uses both mics during Voice search or maybe one for noise cancellation.

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat