cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HTC EVO 4G HDMI Functions

Highlighted
Journeyman

HTC EVO 4G HDMI Functions

I've got to wait until 9/16 until I can get this phone, so I get the "new customer pricing" whatever that would be in September. So, I'm sticking around here to find out what others encounter when I use the features I want to use.

So, folks who have bought the EVO 4G, have you bought and used the HDMI cable to bring video to your television? Can you use Sprint TV and send it to your television? I've heard that the EVO 4G has had that ability turned off for some reason. Has anyone been able to do it?

Also if you have gotten the HDMI cable and connection to work, what is the quality like? I'll bump this thread up every now and then over the next 3 months to find out what EVO 4G customers have to say about using an HDMI cable with this phone. Thanks in advance for your comments.

8 REPLIES 8
Journeyman

Re: HTC EVO 4G HDMI Functions

You might be interested in this review by CNET of the HDMI out..

Hands-on with the HTC Evo 4G's HDMI-out | Crave - CNET http://bit.ly/cw6niw

Journeyman

According to the .apk the applications themselves need to call for HDMI output. This is a good thing and a bad thing. A bad thing because the phone will not be in control and can't just output anything appearing on the screen, but on the other end, a good thing because the phone is not in control and won't lock out any apps from doing so. Any app developer can work with the .apk and implement the feature if they chose to do so. Because of this, I think the feature will at first be limited to first party software (HTC and Google) but will slowly be adopted by other developers as well. Especially if we see more and more phones come out with an HDMI port and the ability to do so. If I could pick a single wish right now for the feature, it would be a Netflix streaming app by the end of the year that allows HDMI out. That would be heaven to me.

Journeyman

theindiearmy, Thanks for the detailed response. I was hoping that it already allowed netflix to be shown on an HDTV. That would be heaven.

Wizard

Re: HTC EVO 4G HDMI Functions - Useful???

i'm bumping this up.  so, is the HDMI still a useful option?  would you miss it if it's not there?  asking because the epic 4g has no HDMI-out port.

Journeyman

No, Sprint TV will not work with HDMI output.  I just found this out -- so it really makes Sprint TV useless -- unless you like trying to figure out a Football score with text that's unreadable on the phones 4.3" display ... or try to follow a ball for that matter, you can't see it ... how Sprint are going to selling Football sports passes for $5.95 or $9.95 without HDMI output and WiFi support for better image quality is beyond me??  Nobody is going to want to watch a highly compressed tiny image with no details ... and no one is actually going to pay for it.

I have no idea what Sprint are thinking with this Sprint TV??  A useless feature box to check that doesn't actually provide any useful experience?

Rob

Master

Sprint TV was initially designed for smaller screens. It is available on most of Sprint's phones, most of which are not smart phones and have small 2" screens in comparison. It has not been reworked for the larger screens of the EVO and Epic. The same base application is used for all Android devices as well. Certain things have been adjusted for the larger screens so the channel listing and such fit but the feed coming from MobiTV (the third party provider of content) is the same. The same goes for Sprint Navigation (TeleNav provides the base). Sprint does not make these applications up from scratch. They are based on products other companies specialize in and Sprint licenses and rebrands. The same goes for every carrier, very few of these perk applications are developed in house because of the amount of development it would take, it is simpler, easier, and more cost effective to license and brand another application.

badankles wrote:

i'm bumping this up.  so, is the HDMI still a useful option?  would you miss it if it's not there?  asking because the epic 4g has no HDMI-out port.

The EPIC does not have HDMI, but does have DLNA support. So if you have a TV or media box (like a PS3) that supports DLNA you don't need the cord. It will streeam HD video, music and pictures wirelessly.

Journeyman

Understand the feed, but the Sprint TV application (which it is) should be able to use the HDMI out port, it doesn't -- this has nothing to do with the stream from MobiTV.  The stream maybe restricted in scale but output direction is under the control of Sprint TV application.  Just as Sprint TV app forces the "Disabling" of WiFi -- it's very much a Sprint TV application issue.

I'm not sure why Sprint are pushing the Samsung devices (EPIC), HDMI is a far more established standard adopted by many many manufacturers.  How many DLNA enabled TV's exist vs. the number of HDMI TV's?

Rob

Message was edited by: robains

Journeyman

I agree with robains . The real issue is that SprintTV and many other similar applications does not output their Video & Audio via HDMI when it is connected like what the youtube App does. I guess partly it could be Android's fault. Why does not it function like our laptops running on Windows if you plug in HDMI, automatically all sound and video is channeled through it or is displayed on both laptop and your TV (depending upon your OS setting). You have total control on the display and audio output via the device manager. I am yet to to see this on Android. May be there is a 3rd party App that can do this, but I am yet to see that for HC EVO. Heard something called "Real HDMI" but that only works for Droid X I guess. So now it is totally upto the App Developer to provide this feature or detect if HDMI is connected or not since Android does not provide a native setting which users can use to change the output.

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Friday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat