cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HTC EVO 4G/Latest Android Release BT disconnects from Microsoft Sync?

Journeyman

HTC EVO 4G/Latest Android Release BT disconnects from Microsoft Sync?

I used to be able to use the Evo connected via Bluetooth for Phone and Media on my Ford Escape's Sync system for handsfree calling.  Ever since the latest Android update (which STILL isnt to Froyo Android 2.2!!) my phone wont stay connected....it will say I am connected for media but the phone headset function gets disconnected.  I have completely unpaired the phone from Sync and Sync from the phone, then recreated everything but they will not stay connected.  Usually they get disconnected during the uploading of the phonebook to Sync.  After that they will not connect anymore.

Has anyone else had this specific problem?  I guess I want to know if its a problem unique to me, or if this is happening to more people signifying a problem in the Android update.

Also, my apologies if a thread like this already exists....i couldnt find a search feature to look for an existing thread.

9 REPLIES 9
Highlighted
Journeyman

Re: HTC EVO 4G/Latest Android Release BT disconnects from Microsoft Sync?

I had no BT problems with 2010 MKS with prior touchpro.

Evo with initial software would pair, but disconnect from sync about 30 sec into call, not ending call, but transfer back to handset (evo).

Unpairing and repairing had no impact, but sync factory reset in BT menu, followed by repairing worked.

Same problem recurred after the software update, but the factory reset worked again.

No disconnects thus far, and can also stream sirius/xm online via BT, with SQ much better than satellite, MP3s from microSD as well.

Only problem is that SXM int drops out, then reconnects, with "data connection lost, attempting to reconnect" screen until successful. That is likely a problem related to the SXM android version 1.0.0, as reported with other phones and carriers on xmfan.com.

Also saw a post somewhere here about hands free BT calling not yet functional on evo until froyo. Works now with sync, use frequently, eg "call x at home,work,mobile", or "call x" and select from the available numbers eg home, work, mobile on nav touchscreen. uses contacts that "people" on phone syncs with outlook exchange contacts on exchange server. Does require 2 voice commands after button press on steering wheel - "phone", then "call ..." after waiting until voice response from system after "phone".

Highlighted
Journeyman

i figured it out....it wasnt any update on the phone or the firmware on the Escape's Sync.  It was something rather silly actually.  The Ford Escape has a USB port typically used for streaming your audio from an MP3 player or for uploading updates to the Sync Software from Microsoft.  However I was connecting my phone to it with the phone set to "Charge Only" for the USB setting.  Well I am not sure if it's the phone or the car that didnt like that, but the phone and Sync would not stay connected.  I moved the power draw to the normal car connection via cigarette lighter and the phone stayed connected.  So now I know,   For HTC EVO running Android 2.1 (or 2.2 as I just updated) when connecting to Microsoft Sync in Ford vehicles, DO NOT connect your phone to the USB connection if you plan on connecting as bluetooth headset.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I have a 2010 Ford Escape with Sync and just got my new EVO 4G.  The bluetooth connection worked flawlessly and then suddently it won't.  I have unpaired and paired it several times to no avail.  What happens is that it will connect for a while, start to download the phone book and then say "phone disconnected".   at that point, I can't reconnect unless I reboot the phone and then it's hit or miss.  Not sure what's going on.  It worked perfectly yesterday and today it's up to its old tricks again.  I have tried both with USB to the cigarette lighter adapter and just battery power.  Wondering if there are any apps that might be wacking the phone book download.  I have Advanced Task Killer loaded but it shouldn't wack any bluetooth operations should it?

Highlighted
Journeyman

i just finished talking to SYNC analyst on the phone. They suggested a hard reset of SYNC. Refer to your vehicle owner's manual and pull the SYNC fuse out for about 3 to 5 minutes and put it back in. This will hard reset the SYNC. He also mentioned SYNC engineers are working on a firmware update in the future to address BT connection issue and "speech control not available for this device" issue.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Thanks for the update, that's good news.  Just hope it's true!  I posted a question to the sync support line at syncmyride.com on Monday and recieved an almost opposite answer.  The support tech stated that I would have to go to my phone manufacturer for an answer, that Sync would not produce an update that addressed bluetooth issues and specifically not for the EVO 4G.   Hopefully the person you spoke with was giving the real answer and not just the impatient tech support blowoff like I got!

Highlighted
Journeyman

Same problem as you, every day.  I thought I had the magic for a day or two.  I'm starting to think it is the phone and not the sync.  Here's what happened.  First pairing, both music and phone worked flawlessly, until I turned off the car.  Upon coming back, music streamed but phone would not connect.  After rebooting the phone, it all connected and then when downloading the phonebook, the message on the phone said "sync attempting to download phone book. Allow?"  I said yes, it ran for a while and disconnected the phone.  The bluetooth on the phone said it was on but sync said "no phone found".  

Today, just got in the car and it worked without doing anything.  Went to lunch, came back and the same problem.  I turned off streaming music bluetooth and it connected the phone and worked.

Found out if I get into the car with the radio off from the get-go.  Wait a few minutes and then dial services, it will work ok after that, until I turn off the car.

I'm very frustrated.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Ok, it's finally working.  Here is how I did it...

You need to make sure you have the latest sync software installed on your Ford.

You must unpair the connection from both the car and the phone.

Repair the connect but DO NOT DOWNLOAD the phone book.  The various contacts on the EVO will royally screw up the download and lock you out every time.  Also turn off automatic phone download.  This is why your phone disconnects in a few moments after connecting

Download from syncmyride.com the program Sync My Phone.

You will also need a third party program like DataPilot 7 to connect and download the phonebook from your phone.

You will then need to export that to a google contact file (requires a gmail account).

You will then need to export that to an outlook format CSV file.

by doing that, you will have all the phone numbers, especially contacts with multiple numbers, formatted correctly with the right data headers.  You can then import that into Sync My Phone, clean it up a little and put it on a USB and then do a program upload into the sync system using USB.

Sounds like a royal pain in the butt, but it works and now I don't get the disconnects.  As you add new contacts, it is easier to just add them in the phone book directly on sync.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I have been having the same problem; quite frustrating and embarrassing as I am a Realtor and am on my phone talking to clients all of the time-- try to answer and don't know to pick up my headset or handset or either!  The voice dial also needs to have a confirmation.... I used to have a windows phone - not much i liked about it, but at least that bluetooth voice command had a confirmation message (did you say call "jane smith?", then I could say yes or no.  This system just calls whomever it thinks you said -- also very embarrassing

Highlighted
Master

As far as Voice Dialing, Go into the market and download "Vlingo" it is much better then the stock one is.

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat