cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HTC EVO 4G and Exchange/ActiveSync Breaks Phone?

Highlighted
Journeyman

HTC EVO 4G and Exchange/ActiveSync Breaks Phone?

Just got the new HTC EVO 4G phone today.  I upgraded from the HTC Hero 2.1.

I am having a problem - The phone turns off and turns-on (reboots) as expected until I activate my Exchange Server Email.  I'm using the HTC Email client.  I setup Exchange/ActiveSync.  During the Exchange setup process I accept the security policy to enable a PIN to secure my device.

Once I complete the setup for Exchange/ActiveSync and turn off the power to the phone, the phone will no longer fully boot. After turning on the power, it makes it as far as the 4G logo, but will reboot until I remove the battery.  The reboot goes on and on and on.

I take out the battery, boot to the text screen and choose "clear user storage" (or something like that) and the phone  will once again fully boot as expected.  I can power off the phone over and over again, and it will boot as expected.  I enable Exchange/ActiveSync -- BOOM; no more full boot, the phone stays in the repeating reboot mode until I clear the storage and put the phone back to "new".

Any suggestions?

17 REPLIES 17
Journeyman

Re: HTC EVO 4G and Exchange/ActiveSync Breaks Phone?

Update - Earlier I was reading about the reboot problem but it was associated with an update pushed to the phone.  It appears this is a known bug and  is related to Exchange/ActiveSync.

On one forum some claims that the issue only occures if you have an all numeric PIN.  Using letters for your PIN seems to avoid the bug.  I have no idea. Don't really want to setup the phone yet again.

Journeyman

Are you using Office/Exchange 2010?  If so, it's not fully supported yet as the 2010 variation has only been released in Final within the past 2 weeks or so, so don't expect full support for a few weeks.

Journeyman

Exchage Server 2003.  Not using Office 2010.

Journeyman

Update -- On the advice of various sites, I setup ActiveSync again on the EVO.  This time, I used a passcode/PIN that was letters/numbers/special characters.  Problem solved.  The phone no longer gets stuck in a rebooting state after powering off.

Still a bug, but a successful workaround.

Journeyman

I'm having the same problem. So how did you ever get past the boot screen to get in to reset your pin? Maybe your problem is slightly different, but mine simply shows the sprint logo/animation repeatedly. It never gets in to the OS.

Journeyman

I found several methods to get to the phone reset screen.  The one I used was to press and hold all four soft buttons at the bottom of the phone, press and hold the down volume and then press the power button.  That takes you to a screen where you can put the phone back to "factory state".

Take out the battery to shut the phone down.

Put the battery back in the phone

Press and hold all four soft buttons + the volume down button and power on

Using the volume button, navigate to the option "CLEAR STORAGE"

Use the power button to select "CLEAR STORAGE"

Press the VOL UP button to confirm

This will wipe all customizations you have made to the phone, including apps.  It will not erase the SD Card.

Once the phone is back to factory state, seutp your ActiveSync/Exchange account and use letters and numbers in your PIN

It worked for me, your mileage may vary.

Journeyman

Thanks for the info. The hard reset did work. I was hoping you had found a way to reset your unlock pin without wiping the data. This seems like a pretty heinous bug if you ask me. Luckily I found out the first day I had it.

Thanks again,

-Mike

Journeyman

No problem -- I'm glad that worked for you.  I repeated the process 4-5 time until I zeroed in on ActiveSync as the issue.  I use an app MyBackup that saves apps and data to the SD card.  I didn't discover it until late in the process, but it helped ease the pain of starting from a wiped phone.

Journeyman

Thanks so much, Sprint customer service asked me to return the phone and get a new one which of course is on back order.

Journeyman

WOW!  say what you will about Sprint Customer Service....but I am IMPRESSED with their new website and the ability to find this answer in the user community~!   I have never solved a sprint issue so quickly before!!

I too had the constant issue of the phone not rebooting after shutting down.  In fact - after I changed my password on my exchange account email at work, I had a SLIGHTLY different but related problem where the phone was in an endless loop telling me to change my exchange settings. But it wouldn't let me type in my new password because the error message just kept coming up repeatedly.  I thought I'd try rebooting the phone to get out of that loop.  Of course, once I did that, I was back to the issue of the phone not rebooting!  Little did I know the two issues were related!

I'm not so sure this is a BUG as much as it is a security requirement of Exchange.  Actually - it's a pretty smart protection feature to force you to create a stronger password.  I recommend Sprint update their Customer Service Reps and Tech reps and online help documentation with this information.

Journeyman

If this works I will be so happy! I've been to both Sprint and Best Buy (where I got my EVO) and nobody had any clue what was happening or why. Granted, it's a new phone and issues due to Exchange aren't necessarily their fault, but still. Glad to finally know why that was happening!

-Gary

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Friday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat