cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HTC EVO 4G and Exchange/ActiveSync Breaks Phone?

Journeyman

Re: HTC EVO 4G and Exchange/ActiveSync Breaks Phone?

When using Activesync with an Exchange server, do you find that you must use a password to unlock the phone every time it goes to "sleep"?  Mine does and it doesn't require the Exchange password, just any alphanumeric one (no pattern allowed).  This is a deal breaker for me, so I hope there is a work around.

Journeyman

The password is a requirement set by Exchange. Any mobile device must ask for a password if it wants to link to an Exchange server that has set this requirement. I've set mine to a simple password of three letters, followed by holding a letter to get the symbol. It's still a pain, but better than a complex password. And better than some random person picking up my phone and calling Nairobi, or sending my boss an email with less than ideal language.

Journeyman

Well, I'm getting used to having to put in the password (also short).  I was surprised about this need since my Treo 800W worked without my having to do the password every time I accessed the phone.  If the OS would accept a pattern rather than an alphanumeric password that would be much better.  I'm going to see what I can do locally with the Exchange folks.  Thanks for your response.

Journeyman

This is correct.  The Exchange Server requires a pin/password.  That is a good thing for security reasons.

However, pin/password protecting the entire phone to secure e-mail is a rather limited way to look at security.  Securing specific information is a better approach.

If you take a look at Touchdown, it is designed to secure your e-mail, not your phone.  So, when you setup Exchange using Touchdown, you still have to supply a pin (password), but only when you access your e-mail.  There is a trial version of Touchdown available in the Market (20 bucks for the software after the trial).  Here are few negatives for Touchdown - the Touchdown widgets are a joke, it does not allow aggregation of your calendar or contacts and it doesn't have the same look and feel as the default mail program.

The biggest benefit, however, is that it secures e-mail with the pin/password, not the entire phone.

Journeyman

Those of you EVO 4G users who added an Exchange/ActiveSync account and is required to set a PIN may experience your phone constantly restarting.  At first, is pretty cool way to start a phone, but very annoying after your brand new EVO reboots for the 175 time in a row.

Anyway, to get the phone to reboot properly, you need to have an alpha-numeric PIN.  My advice is to keep it short.  Once you set the PIN to an alpha-numeric code, the phone will restart properly.

For the better news.  I just installed LockPicker, available in the app market for FREE, and it completely removes the requirement to use your PIN.  Ignore the message about only working for Droid phones.  It works for EVO 4G phones too.

So, for a recap, use an alpha-numeric PIN when adding and Exchange/ActiveSync account.  Then install LockPicker and enable it in the app's options.

I'm not affiliated, endorsing, or in any way a part of the development of LockPicker.  I just read about it in another forum, decided to try it and now have my EVO working with an Exchange/ActiveSync account without having to enter my PIN all the time.

Message was edited by: cpepper55

Highlighted
Journeyman

Great find.  Thanks!

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat