cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HTC EVO 4G changing time zones

Journeyman

My HTC EVO has randomly been changing time zones on it's own.  It randomly changes cities to Slough, Dublin, etc.  It also changes the time zone to match the time in that city.  I live in Denver, CO.  It has effected my alarm clock on several ocassions.  I contacted Sprint and they told me to not use Network provided information and manually set the time.  I should not have to do this.  Anyone else having this problem?  I've done some online research.  I am not the only one.  What's the fix? 

8 REPLIES 8
Highlighted
Journeyman

Re: HTC EVO 4G changing time zones

There is no fix.  You can try doing a PRL update, data profile update, factory reset, etc., but it seems to be a known issue with HTC phones.  What's the big deal with turning off automatic time?  You'll never notice a difference on your phone either way..

Journeyman

What's the big deal?  I travel alot.  I count on my phone to change time zones when appropriate.  That aside, I pay alot for my plan.  I paid alot for this phone.  I should not have to supercede a standard, expected feature on my phone to get the ADEQUATE time displayed.    

Journeyman

My EVO 4G time to time changes timezone to UTC+2. Sometimes I see Eastern European time instead of Central. The only way to get correct time is to extract battery.

The device setting is AUTOMATIC, PRL updated to newest version. The issue appeared after upgrading to 2.3.3 version

I have suspision that it is some kind of virus, although AVG does not detect any virus.

GrandMaster

go into your settings and uncheck and then recheck the automatic setting. that fixes it for a lil while. this has been a problem since 2.2 froyo. i switched mine off automatic once it showed i was in africa. causes havoc with alarms thats for sure.

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Journeyman

Mine does this but it consistently says that I am in Phoenix when I am at work. It only does this when the WiFi is on. It gets location data from wifi, but when a access point is being routed through another city/region it thinks that you are in that region.

Journeyman

Mine does this as well. I had no idea it was a known problem. I've taken it to the Sprint store numerous times and spoken to customer service. Everyone has been treating me like I'm making it up! If I had known it was a known problem I would never have gotten this stupid phone! It makes it useless for alarms and keeping track of appointments. I travel extensively as well. Has anyone had success with getting Sprint to give them a different phone?

GrandMaster

its not the phone. if i remember correct its something to do with google. uncheck your automatic update setting under time/date. if you're going to be traveling like i just did just jump in and recheck it until the time changes. and then re uncheck it again. i just got back from new  york and had to do that. but at least i knew the correct time and didnt have to worry about it.

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Journeyman

I guess it is some kind of malware activity. I have never seen another time zone besides Eastern European. I really visit a lot of web-sites and read tweets located there. Looks like some of them may switch time zone using some kinds of applets. Come to think of it zone changes chaotically, not at the time I visit sites.

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat