cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HTC EVO Update - Camcorder not working followed by phone lock up

Highlighted
Journeyman

HTC EVO Update - Camcorder not working followed by phone lock up

Hey everyone!  I recently updated my EVO and when I did I tried to use my camcorder at a baseball game.  My phone pretty much locked up in camcorder mode. It would go black and I would have to lock the phone and unlock it, hit the home key to get out.  But after that the phone was laggy, took it forever to go between cards on the home screen.  Talked to sprint and they only had 1 fix which was do a factory reset on the phone.  That failed and I still had the same issue.  Phone would lock up when trying to record a video. Had to pull battery out and reset phone.  I contacted HTC and they had no answer for it on how to fix it.

However, I have the fix for it.  (Try this before your factory reset - Sprint said it worked for some people but not all)

1) Restart your phone

2) Delete all your videos on your SD Card (This sucks, I am sorry but you can copy them to your PC)

3) Hit the home key (if your not on the home screen already)

4) Hit the ^ key on your phone to pull all your apps

5) Scroll down to your voice recorder and access that app

6) Hit the record button and record something it can be anything

7) After recording stop and delete the voice recording

8) Go to your camcorder

9) Record your video and it will work

It works.  It sounds stupid but thats what you have to do.

27 REPLIES 27
Journeyman

Re: HTC EVO Update - Camcorder not working followed by phone lock up

OMG YOU ROCK thanks I did not follow the desks advice and flash.  good thing too

Journeyman

I am going to try the steps you suggested.  My camera and camcorder do not work all of a sudden.  It's like the lens does not open though, like it starts to but the screen just remains grey.  The desrciption you gave on how your phone locked up and froze on the camer/video function, that's is exactly what mine did and I had to force my phone to power down jus to get back to home screen.  I hope it works, I do not want to send phone in to HTC!  Gotta go save all my pics and vids to be safe. 

Thanks, will post outcome.

Journeyman

It will work.   I had to call Sprint and HTC and both of them did NOT have an answer when I first had this problem.  So I figured it out.

I am glad it worked for the people already that have used my solution. It's def. better than friggin flashing your device!

Journeyman

Seriously? You expect me to belie....holy #@%$ it worked. Even as I was hitting the record button I was laughing about how silly this was but it worked. I'm not sure if all those steps are required but I had the exact same symptoms and it did fix my issue. THANKS!

Journeyman

Wish I would have found this thread before I took it to Sprint only to have everything erased...  All my apps...  But, WOW!!!!  It worked.  Didn't think it would...  But just goes to proove.  Sometimes the best solutions, are the simple ones.  Thanks alot!!!

Lou.

Journeyman

I just wish Sprint would hire me now. Lol

Journeyman

This worked. Thank you SO MUCH!

Journeyman

OMG! how the heck did you think of even doing that?! Well it works! ive been dealing without a camcorder for a few weeks now bc I could not get it to work. Thank you soooo much!!!!

Journeyman

Mines still doesnt work

Journeyman

What happens with it? I will work on your problem.. email me at xxxxxxxxxxxxx.   When does the lock up happen how many apps do you have... details please. Firmware, prl etc.

[removed personal email address]

Message was edited by: dshoem01

Journeyman

Do you know if this fix will work with the camera?  I have no videos, only pictures on my SD card.  I have the most current update 3.70.651.1

I have only had the phone about a month. The camera worked fine until update. Neither the camera or camcorder apps work.

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat