cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HTC EVO - enabled for international?

Journeyman

Re: HTC EVO - enabled for international?

Yep, thanks for letting us know retroactively. Do you think I could get a clear answer from anyone at Sprint? No, they just wanted me to pre order two of these things as they were "akin to the Second Coming"...

Screw Sprint, they are so far behind the needs of the users that it is laughable. Do a relatively small percentage of their customers travel internationally? Who really knows. Does anyone vacation in Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean et al? I don't know but I do know that with the phones I have owned I can use any of them outside of the US and I have been with Sprint since 1995 so it isn't beyond the technological realms that a modern phone SHOULD operate anywhere.

Sprint really dropped the ball on this one, and thanks for letting me build this one up to all of my iPhone user acquaintances only to have them all offer me their phones to call my family....you idiots...

Wizard

burbanite9840 wrote:

Yep, thanks for letting us know retroactively. Do you think I could get a clear answer from anyone at Sprint? No, they just wanted me to pre order two of these things as they were "akin to the Second Coming"...

Sprint, they are so far behind the needs of the users that it is laughable. Do a relatively small percentage of their customers travel internationally? Who really knows. Does anyone vacation in Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean et al? I don't know but I do know that with the phones I have owned I can use any of them outside of the US and I have been with Sprint since 1995 so it isn't beyond the technological realms that a modern phone SHOULD operate anywhere.

Sprint really dropped the ball on this one, and thanks for letting me build this one up to all of my iPhone user acquaintances only to have them all offer me their phones to call my family....

Sprint and Verizon sell mostly CDMA-only phones.  They only operate where there is CDMA service.  The few phones sold by those two companies that work in non-CDMA (GSM-only) areas are clearly identified as "International Phones" or "World Phones".  If you have been buying Sprint phones since 1995 that work in GSM-only areas,  you must be well aware of this.  The EVO was never identified as such.  If world-wide capability is important to you, why would you pre-order and buy two phones of a model that was never marketed to work world-wide?  And then blame Sprint for not giving you a clear answer?  From your own experience, you already knew the clear answer: if it were an "International phone", it would have been identified as one.  You have no one to blame but yourself.

Message was edited by: wasbakntyme

Highlighted
Journeyman

While I'm disappointed that the EVO will not work for me when I travel outside the US (with few exceptions), I still love the phone.

I travel internationally about every other month and wish that Sprint had spent the extra few dollars to add GSM support. I truly wonder if this was  a cost decision or a marketing strategy. What could it possibly cost to add a GSM radio and software...

What about international WiMax? There are several countries that have implemented WiMax... will the EVO work on those networks? Does the EVO support voice over WiMax yet or is that a future upgrade?

In the meantime, I plan to buy a "pay as you go" unlocked phone next time I'm in Europe... this will save a ton of money anyway - $.05 per minute rather than $2.00 - $2.50 per minute... it really adds up.

Thanks.

Neil

Journeyman

So do I infer from all this that even in Canada I will be unable to send and receive calls or text messages?

Sprint Product Ambassador

shadowfyr wrote:

So do I infer from all this that even in Canada I will be unable to send and receive calls or text messages?

Nope - Canada offers CDMA roaming coverage, so your current Sprint phone will work fine.

You can check http://shop.sprint.com/en/services/worldwide/travelabroad_sprint.shtml

to see what each country requires for technology and costs.

Wizard

The costs of adding a GSM radio are not just measured in dollars.  Additional weight, and size, and complexity of both hardware and software are also issues.  If it were easy and inexpensive, wouldn't there be more phones with the capability on the market?

Journeyman

I was really looking forward to ditching my crappy Blackberry Bold and trying out an EVO - on the company's dime. Then institute it for all our employees if it works well. Too bad it only has CDMA capability, since we all travel a couple times a year (at least) to foreign countries the lack of GSM prohibits adopting the EVO.

Journeyman

Will

Countries with CDMA coverage does not cut it - that excludes most of Europe...in fact, most of the world. I have been a customer for 5 years, and I'm currently travelling a lot for work. I often wonder why I pay for international coverage, when I have to turn around and pay for a GSM compatible phone on top of that. The EVO is an amazing phone, and had it been TRULY internationally compatible, I would have stayed with Sprint. I think I've reached my last straw with the frustration caused by the incompatibility of Sprint phones abroad. My days here are numbered.

If Sprint wises up, it stands to make a lot of money from all those business travellers at those roaming rates you quoted. Everyone complaining here is well aware of the rates and quite willing to pay them when they travel. You're implying that its more economical to purchase a new prepaid phone in every country we visit, rather than have Sprint provide us with options to use our phones in most of the countries we travel too? REALLY? Most of the people compianing here aren't travelling to one country per year - its more like one per month. Should I buy a useless prepaid everytime I go to a new place?

For now, Verizon and AT&T will continue to take your business - not because they're better, but that's what people do when they are left with no/little choice.

Message was edited by: ashawilliams07

Journeyman

can you use the skype app on the htc evo when you are abroad to call back to the usa if you cant directly call out?

Wizard

I am sure you should be able to pull it off if you can find the Skype android application.

I know that Big Red has exclusivity on Skype mobile application.

FYI: I was able to test Skype using Fring app before they stop supporting Skype