cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HTC EVO not ringing on incoming calls????

Highlighted
Journeyman

HTC EVO not ringing on incoming calls????

My EVO will not ring when there is an incoming call.  I get every other alert...even the one telling me that I've missed a call.  What can I do to fix this?  I've gone to settings, I've set the volume, I've taken it off the setting that "quiets" the phone once you move to pick it up.  Nothing is working.  I've even restarted the phone and it will ring for one phone call and then it won't ring after that call.  Please help!!!!

25 REPLIES 25
Highlighted
Journeyman

I have two Evo's both have the same problem.

When calling them, the person calling still gets the normal ring count and the normal voicemail for them.  But on my end of the phone I see nothing.. I've attempted to call my cellphone from a landline and watched my cellphone. Nothing happens, I don't even get an avatar saying I have an incoming call.

This is happening on two different Evo's.

Highlighted
Journeyman

It's happening to me as well.  We to Sprint repair store and it actually did the same thing when they called my EVO.  The tech didn't even attempt to repair it, she just ordered me another phone with a 2-5 dday wait.  She said she'd tried to repair this issue before with no success.  Oh did I mention that I also called tech support 3/7 and they supposedly resolved the issue.  Wow, I don't know what to expect now.  Your two phones now makes a total of 5 I've heard of with this issue. HELP Sprint

Highlighted
Wizard

I did not have the issue but could not get my EVO to sync with my PC to load pics and music to my phone. Tech support said to take it to the repair center after we reset my phone and it did not fix it. The repair center in the Sprint Store tested my phone (took 30 minutes) and found there was a software issue. They ordered me a new phone and I had it in 2 days. The rep said that some of the earlier EVOs have software issues and this may very well be the issue for the phone not ringing as well. I would definitely take time to take the phone to a repair center inside a corporate store (if you use find a store feature on sprint.com corporate stores are the ones without "by ..." such as by iWireless; they will simply say Sprint Store) and have them test it! It worked great for me!!!

Highlighted
Journeyman

I am been dealing with this issue for a month ! and I am tired !  my phone receives calls and text when it want to !

I am listening my music storage on the SD card... and to be corious I called from my work phone and rings and sends me to the voice mail ...without getting a notificacion on my cell phone ! either as received or missing ! at least I leave a voicemail I receive it 40 min after or hours later !

Same with  text messages I get them 1 hour after they were send.. specially if I am using the internet or with the Hot Spot on.. .when I close the hot spot 40 minutes after I received 4 voicemails...12 text messages and 3 missing calls !  that happen with the Hot Spot. without using the Hot stop I received all the text messages together ... like if my phone were not on the netowrk for hours and later get on the network and receive everything in 1 time .. I am tired of this !

I talked to 3 customer service people ...2 by phone 1 by chat.. they do restarts thing to my phone works for 2 oe 3 days... 4th day is the same story !

Phone issue or Sprint issue?   phone -- >  HTC EVO

I am paying 7 x month ofr the insurance..should I notify them?

Highlighted
Wizard

Paulinabejar I strongly recommend going into a sprint service center and have them test your phone. There may be a software or hardware issue. And you having insurance, if they cannot fix it you can ask them to file a claim for you! Hope this helps!

Highlighted
Journeyman

Same problem happened to me, but it happened when i DL the app Handcent, so i uninstalled it. But i missed it soo much that i re-installed it, hoping they fixed the problem but still nothing. So i had to change it so that it rings when i get a txt from Handcent and vibrates from the default settings. Hope this helps, might not solve the real problem but itll make noise. DL Handcent, then go to Settings, Notification Settings, then Notification Settings then Notification Sounds, then pick a Ringtone(Setting on this app is complicated, redundent and hard to change, but well worth it). That should make your phone ring. Good luck.

frank s.

ps.- The problem could also be a corrupted sound file and you probably just have to pick another ringtone, (its computer it happens)

Highlighted
Wizard

I have handsent on my phone and have not had this problem so it may be a corrupt sound file as justbeevofunky suggested. If that is the case it may be a software issue which is covered under warranty for 1 year from the date of purchase for the phone. You may want to take it to the Sprint repair center and have them test it!

Highlighted
Journeyman

If the sound file is corrupted, then they could test it themselves by switching the ringtone. If that works, then it is a corrupted sound file, if that doesn't work, then its a bigger problem. Besides, why not fix it yourself. Turn off the phone, then press and hold the volume up and the home button and then press the on button, its tricky, but you have to hold it the right way. Youll come to the Android reboot menu and youll have the option to hard reset the phone by selecting the reset to factory settings. WARNING: DOING THIS WILL ERASE EVERYTHING, so back your stuff up. Youll start new and youll have to do all the updates again, reinstall all apps and if you did it right, youll have to import your contacts from your SD card. The tutorial can show you how to back up your contacts.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Like most of the persons who have replied have already stated, this sounds like an issue due to some apps you may have downloaded. I know that the factory ringtones (which are all pretty mediocre in my opinion) will ring most of the time, but I usually get a 50/50 shot with personalized or downloaded ringtones. I gave up and stuck with Standard 2 and called it the day. I'd rather know that I'm getting phone calls with a janky standard ringtone than peek at my phone every few minutes and realize the LED light is blinking due to a missed call. Also, the infamous "ring lag" issue is not new with Sprint and any phone. It is not strictly an HTC phone issue. I had a Blackberry, Samsung Instinct, a HTC Hero, and now an EVO and they all ring pretty late on our end (while the phone rings twice or more on the caller's end). Ring lag is a phone network issue, not a hardware or software issue. I had the same issues regarding the other phones I mentioned where the phone didn't ring at all and here I am with 3 missed calls! I thought that the hiking of prices for phone plans would improve our experience, not make it worse. But I see the frustration.

Highlighted
Wizard

That is true justbeevofunky. My only concern and reasoning for taking it to the repair center to be tested is also partyly the calls and messages not coming through. And if for some reason the sound file is corrupt and it is a software issue there may be other files affected as well. I just performed a hard reset on mine without having all contacts saved to goggle and lost several when it was a software issue and I could have just had the contacts transferred from my original phone to my replacement phone when I picked it up. I personally think hard reset should be the last resort but that is just me personally. Hopefully no one else has the same experience I did!

Highlighted
Journeyman

My Evo was not audibly ringing from our other Evo but WOULD ring when being called from a house phone or any other phone (or mobile phone). Sprint said that sometimes happens when one mobile is calling another on the same account. Only solution was to do a total factory reset of the phone that would not ring and it solved the problem. Before doing that, backup your contacts (people/menu/export to SD card). You will lose your apps-even if you previously moved them to SD card. Write down the apps that you want to reinstall from Market when the phone cycles through the hard reset. You can try Market/Menu/My Apps to see if you can at least recover some of them.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Im on my Second reboot because of it and it just happend again this moring( not rigning) and im ready to throw this phone into the WALL. after i've given this phone so much recognition it just flakes like that... I dont wanna have to regret buyin thins and i HOPE its just an App i downloaded... anybody with a fix please Help

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat