Sprint Community is Read Only. Please use the My Sprint app or Sprint.com to manage your account. If you need assistance, please visit Sprint.com/chat or visit community.t-mobile.com
Sprint Community is Read Only. Please use the My Sprint app or Sprint.com to manage your account. If you need assistance, please visit Sprint.com/chat or visit community.t-mobile.com
Sprint Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HTC EVO vs. Cry babies

Journeyman

HTC EVO vs. Cry babies

Im absolutely exited by what HTC and Sprint has accomplished in mobile phone technology. I feel that the extra $10 per month is within reason for high speed Internet. Im reading threads of hatred towards sprint for the extra charge on the 4g option. Wake up and smell the coffee... Im sure that sprint will spend millions in expanding the 4g network this year and would require a little extra money to cover it.

Before anymore is said, remember that it was stated that 4g is an option and is capable of using 3g alone if you really  don't want to dish out 10 bucks...

Thank you Sprint/HTC for a product and service that will dominate the industry.

139 REPLIES 139
Journeyman

I agree with you techfunk and am I excited about the HTC evo as well.  However, just to clarify, it looks to me like the $10 charge is for the Evo ("premium data add-on"), not for 4G. The image below says nothing about 3G versus 4G service areas.

EvoPlan.PNG

Journeyman

Dan Hesse said himself at the CTIA keynote address that 4G "will also let Sprint offer faster speeds and more capacity at the same price."

Now I'm not a legal expert, but I interpret "same price" as "equal to existing price of the current one."

Journeyman

Correction on my statement.....I would assume that $10 will be mandatory for 4g if you are living in a 4g area????

If Dan Hesse did indeed make that statement, then Sprint would need to set the record straight. Im ok paying the extra money if the Internet access is blazing fast!

Message was edited by: Techfunk

Journeyman

From the wording, it says it is required for the EVO 4G.

Journeyman

I am no lawyer either, but since it looks to me like the $10 a month charge is for the Evo, not for the service, then Hesse was techically correct. Of course that does not mean that we can't still be highly irritated.

p.s. "HTC Evo 4G" is the name of the phone.  I do not think they are referring to 3G versus 4G service.

Journeyman

Think of the "EVO" as a car purchase. The Mercedes or the Hyndai??? If you cant make the car payment, choose the Hero...LOL.

No pun intented... Just cause you cant buy the Mercedes, doesn't mean you hate on it. So it just ends up being admired till the price comes down...

Journeyman

I know EVO 4G is the name of the phone. But his point in the speech was that WiMax (4G) is vastly more efficient than CDMA EVDO Rev.A and thus it is actually cheaper to run the 4G data network than it is to run their 3G network. If 4G provides "faster speeds and more capacity at the same price", then why are they charging $10 more for 4G after what he just stated?

Of course, they could claim it as a luxury of the device itself and call it a required "Premium Data Add-On," just like they are attempting to do. But The question then turns into "what exactly is the Premium Data Add-On?"

Journeyman

I agree completely Mutiny - they should have come up with a better name for the $10 fee.  I am wondering if behind closed doors, Sprint is calling it a "sucker fee" and will charge it until their sales slump, and then will remove the fee.  Then we will all be the suckers who have that fee in our contract for 2 years.

p.s. I bet they lower the hotspot fee eventually as well since a lot of people like me would have paid $10-20 a month for the hotspot but $30 just seems like too much for what you get unless you travel a lot.

Journeyman

I can afford the extra cash for the car.  I refuse to pay more money for the same quality gasoline.  Your analogy is flawed.

Journeyman

You've got a good point there. Can anyone clarify exactly what the "Premium data plan" consist of?

Can we get some information coming from a "Sprint Administrator" instead of guessing?

Journeyman

Techspec....lol

Come on! Definitley super gasonline vs reg.......

Community News

Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat