cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HTC Evo 4G low disk space

Journeyman

Re: HTC Evo 4G low disk space

I discovered that apps stored on the SD card can still use space on the phone, and clearing the cache of apps on my SD card, significantly increased internal storage as well! Also, uninstall updates to the Kindle app -- that thing ballooned with updates, and uninstalling them will get you back about 20 MB of internal memory.

Journeyman

I normnally don't answer question because I feel that if these corporation want to hire inferior foreign developer then they should fix the proplems and not rely on US talent to help solve issues other are being paid to do.  But I think that this one is important.  This problem was created by the developers themselves updates to facebook kindle and several other that come on your phone by default cant be deleted so updates to these apps eat up your storage.  Also the .mail file if your not using gmail grows forever.  Ask your self why put apps on you never asked for and cant delete. Blockbuster, Kindle etc. Why sell u a phone with default apps that eat storage.  I guess that was executive decision worthy of million dollar bonus.

GrandMaster

if it makes you feel any better you can disable those built in apps and you'll never have to worry abou them trying to update and take up space.

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Journeyman

When you say disable, you mean autoupdating? I'd love to remove thos preinstalled apps.

GrandMaster

it disables the app completley..it will still show it is there but its fully shut down and updates and so on will no longer come through for that app..things like that telenav app that always seems to be restarting in the background? yup..disable it.

settings-applications-manage applications-all

any built in apps should show a diable button at the top right..just remember to make sure its not something the phone actually needs to run.

also for low disk space go into settings-applications manage applications..then hit menu and sort by size..it will show what all is taking up the most space..for some reason the facebook app starts building up uneeded memory for no reason..make sure that one isnt overly large..actually post what youre seeing or at least the top 5 taking up the most space.

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Journeyman

I'm having the same issue with low memory (50MB free now, over 100MB prior to performing update) on the HTC EVO 4g. I've had this phone 2 years and every update has caused me problems. I held off doing the most recent update because of all the issues (memory eaten up, keyboard locking or not responding). There are a few apps that show high memory storage ~ Mail 39.65MB, Dialer Storage 26.64MB. Is there anything I can do with these? Also, I've turned off GPS, yet Maps updates and uses memory in the background. Anything that I can do Maps? When you say "disable button", do you mean "uninstall updates"?

Thanks!

Master

Hello.  The original HTC EVO does not have the available application storage that has quickly become the standard.  It started with approximately 500MBs and turned into more around 380MBs (from a hard reset) with all of the updates.  Your "dialer storage" is your call log and almost 27MBs is a lot of calls.  You can uninstall "updates" to any app that has the option available since the updates to apps are basically "piled on" to the original download.  One of my apps was showing almost 10MB for just updates.  Although it's not ideal to uninstall updates since the updates correct bugs and udpate compatibility issues, it can be done to free up memory. 

Basically it boils down to using less applications or upgrade to a newer Android where 1-2GBs of application memory is the standard. 

Hope this helps,

Tom Deaver

Social Care ~ Sprint.com Communities

Available ~ Friday, Saturday, Sunday

Highlighted
GrandMaster

the mail storage you can bring down by clearing out un needed things like your spam files and sent files...heck even your inbox will affect you. the dialer itself you can clear out by pulling up the screen like youre going to make a call ..then hit menu and call history..then hit menu again and delete all. while youre at it go into your settings-applications. hit menu and sort by size. post what apps you see that are the highest..most likely the top 5 will be the main culprits.

you can go into the applications-all area and disable things like that nova game barely anyone played..ditto for things like telenav...unless you actually use it..but alot of those apps that you DONT use you can go in and clear the data and cache..then uninstall its updates to clear up space..then disable them if you never use them..this will take them off the list of things that give you update notifications. just pay attention to what youre actually disabling though..some things the phone must have to actually run correctly

ampnrg88 wrote:

I'm having the same issue with low memory (50MB free now, over 100MB prior to performing update) on the HTC EVO 4g. I've had this phone 2 years and every update has caused me problems. I held off doing the most recent update because of all the issues (memory eaten up, keyboard locking or not responding). There are a few apps that show high memory storage ~ Mail 39.65MB, Dialer Storage 26.64MB. Is there anything I can do with these? Also, I've turned off GPS, yet Maps updates and uses memory in the background. Anything that I can do Maps? When you say "disable button", do you mean "uninstall updates"?

Thanks!

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat