cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HTC Evo Dialer using large amount of battery

Highlighted
Journeyman

HTC Evo Dialer using large amount of battery

My htc evo is having a hard time charging. it will take a very long time and then i just charged it to 66 percent and within 10 minutes im allready down to percent. everything is turned off including 3g network.

it say dialer is using 20 to 30 percent of my battery? any ideas on why this is happening?

7 REPLIES 7
Highlighted
Master

Are you using a Task Killer? -- if so please read below-

How to Use a Task Manager

Android was designed from the ground up as an operating system (OS) for mobile devices. Its built-in application and memory-management systems were engineered with battery life as one of the most critical concerns.

The Android OS does not work like a desktop operating system. On a desktop OS, like Windows, Mac OS X, or Ubuntu Linux, the user is responsible for closing programs in order to keep a reasonable amount of memory available. On Android, this is not the case. The OS itself automatically removes programs from memory as memory is needed. The OS may also preload applications into memory which it thinks might soon be needed.

Having lots of available empty memory is not a good thing. It takes the same amount of power to hold "nothing" in memory as it does to hold actual data. So, like every other operating system in use today, Android does its best to keep as much important/likely-to-be-used information in memory as possible.

As such, using the task manager feature of SystemPanel to constantly clear memory by killing all apps is strongly NOT RECOMMENDED. This also applies to any other task killer / management program. Generally speaking, you should only "End" applications if you see one which is not working correctly. The "End All" feature can be used if your phone/device is performing poorly and you are uncertain of the cause.

Highlighted
Journeyman

To address your question, the harder the EVO has to look for service, the more power it takes. Regardless of what the coverage map may show, I live in a rather spotty coverage area. When I am in a poor coverage area, the dialer apps eats more power, when I am in an area with excellent coverage, the dialer app uses very little power. And the 4G radio REALLY likes to eat power searching for service that may or may not be there.  -- Sharon

Highlighted
GrandMaster

the usuals running on my phone are cell standby @ 43%, phone idle @ 35% and android system @ 22%. arent these a lil high? or are they supposed to be like that?

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Highlighted
Journeyman

I would like to be able to believe this explanation but in the year and a half that I have had this phone I have never had an issue with the dialer sucking up so much battery. I have very poor reception at both my home and where I work and its only recently started killing my battery, this in some way has to have something to do with the latest update, not sure what it was but I hope some attention is made to this soon as I can't keep my phone on a charger all day so it can search for a signal.

Highlighted
Master

It's also very likely that your battery at 18 months old it is at its end of life cycle.  This is another factor people should understand as everyone that posts on here has a different amount of months on their battery.

Larry

Highlighted
Journeyman

I noticed with the last few updates, my battery life got better.  As it got better, "dialer" was using a higher percentage of the battery.  What made the most sense to me was that it was using the same power the whole time, but as the OS and others were using less battery life, the Dialer looked like it was using relatively more when it was really staying the same while the others were decreasing.  I don't know if this makes sense or not.

Highlighted
GrandMaster

its gotta be on how much you just used it. i havent made any calls what so ever since last night and the dialer isnt even showing on my list. display 83%, cell standby 6% and phone idle 5%.  and 3 games at 2%. nothing else.

the lowest i have seen my display drop to was low 60's. but its usually the highest on the list

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat