cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HTC Evo locking up or rebooting

Journeyman

HTC Evo locking up or rebooting

My phone has locked up 3 times in the past 2 days. In addition, it "rebooted" itself this morning without me initiating anything. Can anyone tell me what might be going on and if I have to take it in for a "checkup"?  I really love this phone and would hate having to give it up.

Raquel

41 REPLIES
Wizard

Re: HTC Evo locking up or rebooting

I've had my Evo since the 4th and have not experienced any problems such as you described.  My advice is to power down the phone and remove the battery for a few minutes.  After replacing the battery and powering on, if you continue to experience the problems, I would return it for a replacement.  You could simply have a deffective unit.

Journeyman

The first couple of days mine rebooted on its own twice. I haven't had it happen since. I think what might have happened is that I left my email open and then answered a call and when I got another email while I was on the phone that somehow caused the reboot. I haven't had it do that in the last couple of days. You have 30 days to return/exchange it so you may wanna give it a couple of days and see if it continues. If it does, then I would recommend exchanging it if u like everything else about it.

Journeyman

Mine had rebooted 2x since I have had it.

Journeyman

I have had the evo for less than a week and it has locked up 3 times. The screen turns off and won't come back on. The power button doesn't work. I have had to pull out the battery all three times to get it to come back on.

Journeyman

I've had my HTC Evo for about two weeks and mine locks up way too much.  I found that it mostly happens when I turn off 3G Mobile Network.  After I turn off the 3G everything locks up and when I let the back light time out or manually turn it off it will reboot itself.  This phone is brand new and wasn't cheap I don't think it should be doing this at all.  The worst part about this was when I was attempting to brag about my phone to someone that was thinking about changing to Sprint and getting this phone and this happened, "You're not really selling me on this phone" he said. If this keeps up I might utilize the 30 day guarantee and take it back and try something else.

Message was edited by: DBailey012

Journeyman

I have been using the evo since the 7th of June. I have been pushing this phone hard to see if it meets my needs. I  Came from touch pro2. I noticed Android is not as capable of handling all the  video and audio formats that  Windows mobile devices can. My Phone has locked up about 4 times.  Reboots itself randomly about once a day, twice it Rebooted during a phone call. Have noticed a popping noise in external speaker periodically at certain sound frequencies and tones. Phone has went to a black screen about 3 times when using internet browser or attempting to back out of an app. But eventually Reboots itself. Streaming video is usually choppy and frequently out of sync ,even at 4g speed. 3g and 4g speeds are much slower than with my overdrive. Have had problems with phone signing on to 4g when it detects it is available in various strong 4g signal areas in Chicago western suburbs and Northwestern suuburbs . Had called tech support 3 times to have phone reset in system. Still have an open ticket . My 8mp Camera picture quality is quite poor,even when adjusting several highest quality settings in camera. Battery cover is the worst of any phone I have owned in terms of ease to open in order to replace battery. My battery lasts about 2 to 3 hrs. Max of moderate to heavy use and need to open battery cover to use a backup battery continuously throughout the day . I have 2 backup batteries and 4 ac battery chargers. Phone is very nice but I am a bit disappointed in a few bugs in the software and my phones  processor becoming easily overloaded when 3 to 4 apps are open. I wish the Evo  had more available internal storage space because most apps install to phone instead of SD card.

Journeyman

Mine locked up every morning after removing the charging cable until this morning when it worked fine.

Last night I found some information about updating the PRL.  I did that, and so far the phone seems to have stabilized.

Go to Setting>System Updates and then select "Update PRL"

That may be the reason I didn't have my daily lockup after pulling the charging cable.  I also did a firmware update, since that is also a choice.  So it may have been that or the combination.  But for now at least, my problem may have resolved.

Journeyman

mine did the same thing this morning it just shut down and wouldn't turn back on. Took the battery off before it re-started again..i hoping this is not going to be a constant problem!! urggh

Message was edited by: ReeR

Journeyman

day three with the new phone and rebooting on its own allot.   The only thing I can say that has changed since the phone was new is google put down and update to MAPS. since the download and install the rebooting started.  I have since uninstalled the update and the rebooting still happens.   I can make the reboot happen on deand by starting the sprint navigation or maps.  does this happen to anyone else with MAPS

Community News

Community News

Find out whats happening on the bridge, we'll share new features and fun on the community as well as exciting news from the mothership...read more.