cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Has Anyone Switched from a Palm Pre to the HTC Evo Yet?

Journeyman

Has Anyone Switched from a Palm Pre to the HTC Evo Yet?

Sometimes I get frustrated with my Palm Pre and am wondering if anyone who has switched to the Evo from the Pre can offer opinions on the pros and cons of one versus the other. Is it a good switch to make? TIA

7 REPLIES 7
Highlighted
Journeyman

Re: Has Anyone Switched from a Palm Pre to the HTC Evo Yet?

Yes, I got the Evo yesterday to replace my Pre. Ive only had it a day, but its way more powerful. Not only does it replace my Pre, but also my ipod touch. The size is big, maybe too much for some, but OK imo. Battery complaints seem overdone as at least for today, it lasted much longer doing much more than my Pre ever did. I had 15% left after 10 hours of heavier than normal use, web surfing, downloading apps, syncing accounts, randomly checking out apps, etc.(Yes Im in 4G) The only real negative over the Pre is the way it handles multi tasking. You cant kill apps like you can in the Pre by throwing them up, instead you have to take a more active role killing them with another app called appkiller. Id recomend the Evo over the Pre hands down so far.

Wizard

I also moved to the EVO from the Pre. I agree with everything kserge5534 commented on including battery life  (I am in 3G land). Android seems to have all the apps that I had hoped would come to WebOS during the first year. Once I am more comfortable with Android and if (I mean big IF) Google can keep the fragmentation in check, I see no reason to switch back to a WebOS device. I had some regrets yesterday but they are all gone after a day of learning.

dd

Journeyman

See with Android, you aren't supposed to kill apps. Android actually manages it all for you. Appkiller and other task managers are horrible on devices. I'll leave a link with more information on that at the end of this post. Instead, Android has a memory manager that when you start using up ram, it clears out processes based on their priority. This keeps the system cleaned up and keeps multitasking running smoothly. I know it upsets some people that they aren't supposed to control these processes directly, but Android gets really good at it if you leave it alone. If you want to exit apps that use battery, always use the back button to close out. Most apps will exit this way. Some apps have an exit button in their menu, so learn which ones do and use that. Android uses what are called services to do the multitasking, so the full app is never running in the background. These services usually don't touch the cpu very much, but some can. Use the battery usage shortcut and the running services shortcut to see which services are running and which things are using up battery. Be careful with services, only stop the ones that you know belong to apps you started and that aren't tied in to the system, as stopping system related processes can be bad as well. You can get these shortcuts under shortcuts>settings. If anyone here would like extra help with some tricks to get Android running efficiently and comfortably, let me know. I love helping people new to the platform. Welcome to Android!

http://geekfor.me/faq/you-shouldnt-be-using-a-task-killer-with-android/

Wizard

Thanks for the education superlinkx, this is a learning process after all and I may ask for help from time to time. I just tried to make this reply from my EVO but when i tapped the text box to type I saw a green rectangle for a moment then it disappeared and no keyboard came up so I had to login and type this from my computer.  Any suggestions?

dd

Journeyman

Yeah, no problem. I love helping people out who are new to the platform. The issue with posting is rather funny, seeing how full featured the browser is on these phones. You need to look in the corner of the editor and click on HTML. This will put the text editor into HTML mode, and then you can type it in. You won't be able to use a lot of formatting, but text input should work pretty well. I actually don't have an Evo yet, still on my Hero. I really wish I had the speed and snappiness right now though.

Wizard

Okay here is a shot from the evo using html editor.  Thanks again for the assist. This is how I see the community working. Users helping users  dd

Journeyman

Yeah, glad that worked out for you. I also love communities that are about helping people with their problems. Have a good day!

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat