ForumTopicPage
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I set the wi-fi channel used by my HTC Evo?

Journeyman

I found one web site that showed how to set the channel on the Epic, but those same screens don't exist on the Evo from what I can see.

The only hotspot settings I see are the SSID name, the security, and the advanced option on the menu button. The Advanced options include power mode and LAN Settings. The LAN Settings include the IP Address, the subnet mask, DHCP checkbox, and the starting IP to hand out.

We have various wi-fi routers all over our neighborhood. I'm assuming the Evo is set to auto, but I've had much better luck with my other routers by specifying their channel. Surely there should be a way to do this, right?

Tags (4)
9 REPLIES 9
Journeyman

From the home screen, hit the menu button, then Settings>Wireless & networks>Wi-Fi Settings

Turn on the Wi-Fi network, the radio will then scan and show you hotspots to connect to.

Hope that helps.

Journeyman

Thanks - that describes how to connect to other hotspots. My question was intended to ask about the opposite - how to create a mobile hotspot that others can connect to.

Journeyman

Set the channel you want to use in your router settings page. Do a scan of neighbors and choose the channel farthest away.

Journeyman

D-Smoke, that answer sounds exactly correct. My difficulty is that I can't find any "router settings page" that lets me set the channel. Maybe I'm just missing something obvious here.

Sprint Product Ambassador

I've always set the WiFi Channel on the WiFi router configuration page -- then the devices will automatically connect to it.

Channel setting is used to reduce congestion between networks.  From Microsoft:

Wireless routers can broadcast on several different channels, similar to the way radio stations use different channels. In the United States and Canada, these channels are 1, 6, and 11. Just as you'll sometimes hear interference on one radio station while another is perfectly clear, sometimes one wireless channel is clearer than others. Try changing your wireless router's channel through your router's configuration page to see if your signal strength improves. You don't need to change your computer's configuration, because it can automatically detect the new channel.

http://www.microsoft.com/athome/setup/wirelesstips.aspx

Product Ambassador, long time Sprint employee
Master

Re: How do I set the wi-fi channel used by my HTC Evo?

If I'm getting you right, you want to specify settings on your EVO when used as a hotspot? Is your phone rooted? If it is not rooted, just leave the IP settings on auto, don't specify any address. In my case I just turned my hotspot on, and my EVO showed up in my laptop as a network connection and I connected without a problem (I as I said I modified nothing). My other question will be: do you see your EVO (hotspot) in the available networks or not, and if you do, what error it gives you when you try to connect?

I come here trying to help people and I'm NOT employed by Sprint, so If my reply helped you or if you get an answer to your question from other users, PLEASE mark it as solved.
Journeyman

Maybe my problem is that I don't have a WiFi router configuration page. How do you get that?

Journeyman

Dj_Damjano - yes, you have it correct. I want to specify settings on my EVO when used as a hotspot. My phone is not rooted. I was hoping for a simple solution, although I could root my phone if necessary. I guess that would save me the $30 a month, too.

Right now I do the same thing you do - I just turn it on, and the EVO shows up as an available network connection. I can usually connect to it initially without a problem. However, I've experienced difficulties with my other router in that it seemed to experience congestion or conflict with other routers in the neighborhood, and things got better when I told it to stop using "auto" and picked a particular channel for it. I wanted to do the same thing with my EVO.

The problems I experience are things like taking a long time to connect, dropping connections, slow download times. I don't know for sure that setting the channel would fix this, but I thought it was a reasonable thing to try as one step.

Master

Re: How do I set the wi-fi channel used by my HTC Evo?

What is your IP address and your Starting IP address. because if I'm getting you right, if you have interferences from other routers, you might need to manually change your IP on your computer to static and set it up yourself. Example:

IP 192.168.1.1

Subnet Mask 255.255.255.0

Start IP 192.168.1.10

then in your computer (start - Settings - Network connections - right click on your Local Area Connection) you should enter manually:

IP Address:               Your Start IP Address

Subnet Mask:            Same Subnet Mask

Default Gateway:     The IP Address You read on the Phone.

For more help, look at the pic I have attached

I come here trying to help people and I'm NOT employed by Sprint, so If my reply helped you or if you get an answer to your question from other users, PLEASE mark it as solved.
Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat