cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I upgrade SD Card *and* have the apps move over properly?

Highlighted
Journeyman

I tried following the directions here: http://community.sprint.com/baw/message/196805#196805

It worked somewhat.  But the applications that had been installed to run from the SDCard did not appear any longer.  When I put my original SD Card back in the phone, the apps appeared like normal.  I must have missed something when I attempted to upgrade.  I formatted the SDCard to fat 32 first.  I tried loading as an exact copy and a second time with it empty and then adding files.  Any ideas? 

3 REPLIES 3
GrandMaster

move the apps back to the phone and then with the new sd card move them onto that one.

kinda weird but the apps dont actually go onto the sd card. alot of the data does. but not the actual app itself.

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Journeyman

I agree with fireguy.  The data is really what moves to the SD card.  Think of it like a computer.  Your files REQUIRED to run the system files of a program are on your C: drive while all your data (and your temporary data) gets stored on something like an external hard drive.  The key is keeping the filepaths consistent.  As long as the file paths are consistent then your phone won't know the difference between an 8gb card and a 16gb card.  If you followed the advice in the link you provided then there are only two possible reasons why it didn't work. 

1.  User error.  you think you copied them exactly but you really didn't.  This can be seen as if you formatted the card and a root folder was established within which you copied everything exactly....including the previous root folder.  This would cause the phone to error out when trying to call stored data because the file paths are not 100% identical.

2.  You need to RTV your SD card.  I had this one happen to me when I upgraded my SD card.  I copied everything over and made backups and whatnot and all of a sudden my phone got pissed off at me.  I thought my phone was a piece of junk until I realized that the brand new SD card I bought was a dud. 

Review the filepaths on the new SD card and verify that #1 has been ruled out and then consider #2.

GrandMaster

would be wonderful if they can figure out a way to transfer the apps and information to another phone so you dont actually lose anything.

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat