cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do you remove NASCAR Sprint Cup and Amazon Mp3 apps from the HTC EVO 4G?

Highlighted
Journeyman

How do you remove NASCAR Sprint Cup and Amazon Mp3 apps from the HTC EVO 4G?

Several apps from Sprint or HTC come pre-installed on the HTC EVO 4G. These include:

• Footprints
  • Amazon Mp3 Store
  • NASCAR Sprint Cup Mobile
  • Qik
  • Sprint Football Live
  • Sprint Navigation
  • Sprint TV

Some of these are okay. Some of them I have no use for, and some I've just found a better app in the Marketplace to perform the same function. I would like to uninstall, so they don't take up space or memory.

When you go into Settings >> Applications >> Manage Applications and try to uninstall, there's isn't even an option to remove them.

This is really frustrating - it's my phone, and I should have control over what apps run on it. I could see the argument for not being able to remove a Mail program. But not being able to remove a NASCAR app?

How do remove these unwanted or unneeded apps?

22 REPLIES
Journeyman

Re: How do you remove NASCAR Sprint Cup and Amazon Mp3 apps from the HTC EVO 4G?

root it

Journeyman

Re: How do you remove NASCAR Sprint Cup and Amazon Mp3 apps from the HTC EVO 4G?

Root your phone and install a custom ROM.

Journeyman

I'm interested in a response from Sprint on this as well.  I mean, rooting the phone and installing a custom ROM is a drastic step.

I imagine that Sprint must have been paid some kind of per-device bounty fee for accepting the Nascar, Amazon, and Navigation apps on the phones.  I'd like the option to pay Sprint the same amount of extra money to have this software removed -- and then still stay on the officially supported software update track.

Seriously, the Sprint Navigation app is years behind the Google Navigation app, and the SprintTV and Nascar icons are attention grabbing-yellow and take up space in the application list, making it hard for me to scan the list for apps I actually want to click on.  Even an option to just "Hide crapware from menus" would go a long way in improving my experience, even if I can't reclaim the device storage.

Message was edited by: mdcatlin [fix typo]

Journeyman

mdcatlin wrote:

I'm interested in a response from Sprint on this as well.  I mean, rooting the phone and installing a custom ROM is a drastic step.

I imagine that Sprint must have been paid some kind of per-device bounty fee for accepting the Nascar, Amazon, and Navigation apps on the phones.  I'd like the option to pay Sprint the same amount of extra money to have this software removed -- and then still stay on the officially supported software update track.

Seriously, the Sprint Navigation app is years behind the Google Navigation app, and the SprintTV and Nascar icons are attention grabbing-yellow and take up space in the application list, making it hard for me to scan the list for apps I actually want to click on.  Even an option to just "Hide crapware from menus" would go a long way in improving my experience, even if I can't reclaim the device storage.

Message was edited by: mdcatlin [fix typo]

I'd say paying not to have crapware on your phone is more extreme than rooting it

Journeyman

I heard rooting the phone voids the warranty, but once the phone is out of warranty does it matter?

Also if you have the pay by the month extended warranty by that third party company, does rooting affect their warranty?

I agree these apps aren't worth anything and in fact not allowing us to remove them is wrong.  I mean not even Micro$oft is that mean spirited!

Journeyman

There's an app in the market called Apps Organizer, by Fabio Collini. Among its many useful features is the ability to hide programs from the app drawer. They will still be on your phone taking up space, but at least you don't have to look at them! No root requred.

Journeyman

I currently have the Curve Blackberry, how do you like the HTC EVO 4G?  I am considering getting one but am afraid I won't like it as well.

Journeyman

TO SPRINT:  Are you hearing Any Of This???  I agree with everyone, that WE should have the RIGHT to remove any APP from OUR OWN PHONE!!  This is ridiculous and in a way... Tyrant!  Unacceptable!

Journeyman

Okay, I get it - bloatware/advertware keeps our rates down. But if I've had an application on my handset for 30 days and haven't signed on to whatever it is, even if I HAVE looked at it, then chances are pretty good I'm not buying it. So, why not let Sprint download all the crappy advertware they want, as long as I can remove it 30 days later. They get their advertware bucks, our bills stay reasonable and we get our memory back. -- Sharon

Journeyman

I'm not sure how exactly they get payed for these apps, so I won't comment on that. Be nice if Sprint officially addressed all this nonsense. A rooted Android phone is a happy phone.

Journeyman

" bloatware/advertware keeps our rates down."

Think about it.

Our current bill is $150/month for two phones on the "premium" data plan.  $75/mo/phone  Outrageous.

Assuming ONLY 10% of people in the US are on Sprint (guesstimation) and the US population of 300M

30M x $75 = $22,500,000

Yes - that would be a Sprint income of over $22 MILLION DOLLARS PER MONTH!  (Of course if they own 20% of market then they're making > $44M/month.)

Do you think they really need that extra advertising to keep things running now?? 

Community News

This is a PUBLIC ARCHIVE board, all artciles are read only.

Please click here to search the Active Community.