cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How does one set up a phone number so that it is"private"

Journeyman

I know how *67 shows your number as unavailable but how do you set up a number to show up as "PRIVATE" or displays on the call history to be an "N"??

Tags (1)
13 REPLIES

CMunsell48,

You can have this feature added to your account so that your number will always come up that way.

-Ron

Journeyman

Thanks Ron!!!  Do you always have to set it up through the account to do that?  And do you have to be the account administrator to have it done?  And... If a call were coming in as an "N" would you be able to call it back?

Journeyman

Oh, Ron, one more question.  Does the "N" keep it from showing up on the detailed call log?  I'm asking because I'm seeing the "N" on my son's phone and am trying to figure out what's up...

Master

*67  will cause various messages to appear depending on the phone and carrier the call is going to  you may get unknown caller, number unavailable, private   If the caller id is not blocked then the calling number is displayed on a cell phone and the name appears if in the phone contacts.  Land line caller id will normally display the name of the caller or wireless caller   depending on what is in there data base for the callers name.  Do not know of a way to have only private caller show up with any reliability  Some one else may have a way

GrandMaster

a few months ago someone brought up what the "N" actually stands for but for the life of me i cant find the thread. i think  levi was the one that brought it up but dont hold me to it. my brain slips from time to time

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Journeyman

I remember that conversation too.  It was either through a "rooted" phone or a number that was blocked.  I am such an idiot with this stuff, it's frustrating.  Common sense tells me that if it came up as "N" the receiving caller couldn't call it back like you could an identified number- i.e., by touching the number to return the call???  Does that make sense? 

GrandMaster

yah it does. any unavailable number or blocked number wont let you call it back. i think the "N" ment not available...i think

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Journeyman

Thanks!  I really appreciate your help! 

GrandMaster

no worries. its what the forums are for anyways. plus it cures my downtime boredom at work

Journeyman

Thanks! Have a great day!

Highlighted
Wizard

Re: How does one set up a phone number so that it is"private"

Here's how Caller ID works. Sprint, like all carriers, only sends your phone number to the other party. If you add Caller ID restriction on your account, they do not.

The name that shows up on the recipient's end is dependent on the receiving party's phone or carrier. When Sprint updates your Caller ID name, it just sends that information along with your number to all of the landline carriers. They then update a database with that information. Whenever your name shows up, their switches access the database and send the name along with the number. If the number is blocked, the receiving carrier will send the recipient a set "name" such as "Unknown", "Private", or "Restricted".

Unlike landline companies, cell phone companies only pass the number through. They do not maintain a names database. It is up to the recipient of the call to add the number to their contacts so that a name shows up on the phone along with the number on future calls.

Community News

This is a PUBLIC ARCHIVE board, all artciles are read only.

Please click here to search the Active Community.