cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to add ringtones to an Evo?

Journeyman

How to add ringtones to an Evo?

Our former phones were T-Mobile RAZRs and using Mobile Phone Tools, it was easy to transfer custom ringtones from my computer to our RAZRs.  How is it possible to transfer custom ringtones from my computer to our Evos?

MrSpurg

94 REPLIES
Patron

Re: How to add ringtones to an Evo?

I found the instructions on where to place the ring tone files and how to activate them but I haven't tried this  yet:

http://www.htc.com/us/support/evo-sprint/help/audio-and-ringtones

Journeyman

Thanks for your response but for some reason, that page would not stay long enough to read it so I tried the following out of curiosity and it seemed to work just fine.  I connected my compter via the supplied USB cable and clicked to MOUNT THE DRIVE (SD card) and then clicked DONE -- on the computer screen I selected VIEW FILES and created a new folder --> RINGTONES and placed my favorites ringtones in there copied from my computer and this method seems to work just fine (phone may fall apart tomorrow but for now it works just great to use my favorite ringtones).

MikeSp

Journeyman

Mr.Spurg,

That is exactly how you add ringtones to any Android phone...including the EVO.

Also, just so you know, if you create a folder named alarms and one named notifications, you can add sound files from your computer to them and have custom sounds for the alarm clock and other notifications.

And, if you have mp3 music on your phone you can press and hold the song title while in the player and a menu will pop up with options, one of them being to make the song a ringtone.

There are also a couple of apps in the Android market that will allow you to chop a song down to a 10-30 second ringtone right from your phone.

Journeyman

Thanks for the confirmation that I actually correctly added ringtones AND thanks for the additional suggestions which I will use.

(BTW -- moving up from a RAZR just for phonecalls to a smartphone like an Evo is a HUGE step and while I am computer savvy, the capabilities of smart phones is a little daunting although I am sure that my daughter figured it all out while she was out on a date this evening... )

Thanks again,

MrSpurg

Journeyman

Once you add the Ringtone folder. Where do I go and choose the ringtone to use them?

Journeyman

IF you are asking where on the Internet do you find free ringtones, Google search it -- there are tons of them out there and they can be about any kind of music file.  Many people use any of several free programs to take their favorite wav or mp3 song and clip the part that they want and save it to their computer.

Once you find or somehow create the ringtones that you want, then add them to the new Ringtones folder on the flashcard in the Evo and then you can select them in the sounds menu.

Hope that is what you needed -- if not, try again...

Good luck,

MikeSp

Journeyman

Cool, found them. I was speaking about where do i fine them on the phone. Thanks for your help and quick response.

Journeyman

how do u assign them to a contact? i assign them but when people call it still plays the default ringer...wassup witht that?

Journeyman

Hi MikeSp,

Thanks for your post... I found it to be very helpful but I'm having problems locating the folder in the phone.  I cannot find the new "Ringtones" folder I created to get to the ringtones.  Did you have to create the folder in the already existing "Music" folder?

I appreciate all your help!

JM

Highlighted
Journeyman

I didn't put the ringtone folder in the music folder but rather just added the ringtone folder to the rest of the folders on the SD Card -- maybe that will work.

BTW -- it was interesting that the first day I had the Evo, I emailed tech support to ask how to transfer the custom ringtones that I had in my computer to my Evo and they replied four days later and told me that it was impossible to do -- LOL

Good Luck

Mike

Patron

Hello,

I have a suggestion on how to locate the ringtone folder.

Use the Android Apps downloader tool that came pre-loaded on the phone.

Go to Communication

Turn on the 'Top free' filter

Scroll down to what should be about the 4th app on the list called Estrongs File Explorer

Download the app

Go to All Apps (the virtual button on the screen located to the left of the Phone icon on your home screen)

Find ES File Explorer

Tap the / icon at the top row of icons on the screen when the program opens up - that'll take you to the phone's root directory

Scroll down to System, tap the folder icon

Scroll down to Media, tap the folder icon

Tap the audio folder icon

Tap the ringtones folder icon

This is where your ringtones are located on your phone.  I'm going to try loading ringtones now from my other phone.

Good luck!

Edited the same day as my post - I read the thread and I'm going to try the suggestion by placing a ringtones folder on the SD card.  The folder isn't visible from the computer when I have the EVO connected as a HD but folder settings are set to view hidden files.  I'd like to put the ringtones into the same folder that's already on the EVO but I guess that's not going to happen.

Message was edited by: sbutler210

Community News

Please help us to keep our Community a positive laughing and helpful innocent space for all members cool.
Be sure to read our Rules & Guidelines and if you have any concerns surprised just send a private sealed message to @Seawolf or @A11ey, and we'll check it out!