cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to delete or change an email account

Journeyman

How to delete or change an email account

I entered some info incorrectly concerning my email account.  What I did right was the NAME of the account.  Everytime I try to make corrections I get a message that says there is already an account under that name, and it won't accept the changes.  I also can't find a way to delete that account short of completely restoring the phone, which I don't want to do.  Help?

7 REPLIES

Re: How to delete or change an email account

Is it the Gmail account that you have associated with the phone for Email/Android Market access/Google Calendar Sync/Gmail Contact Sync, or is it another email like Hotmail, Yahoo, etc.?

If it is the Gmail account on the device you can go to Settings > Accounts & Sync > Choose the Google account > Remove Account.

If it is another email you can go to the Mail app > Menu > More > Settings > Delete Account.

Journeyman

It's another email...my Comcast / Windows Live mail account.  I've tried what you said, but when I push "menu", I don't have the option of "more".  It sends me to the setup screen.  But if I try to go ahead and set it up, I end up right back at the warning screen that says there is already an account with that name.  I'm really new to this phone, when you say go to the mail app, I assume you mean the one on the apps window.  The screen I get has two options...Manual setup and next.  All I really want to do is completely delete this account so that I can start fresh.

Journeyman

simply enter email to screen for ANY EMAIL, THEN SELECT THE MENU, THEN TO MORE, THEN TO AACOUNT LIST, THEN DO WHAT YOU MUST.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Okay...after leaving my phone for a few hours, I come back and email is up and running.  Is there some kind of delay factor before changes take effect?  The phone gave me messages that it would not accept the changes I made, and then went ahead and accepted the changes.  I guess I shouldn't complain now, because the email account is active.  However, the instructions concerning the "menu" don't seem to work on my phone.  At least not at the moment!

Journeyman

Thanks much.  I couldn't find this information anywhere on the HTC site.

Journeyman

yes. but is there a way to use an account for contacts, calendar, etc but not use the email? short of deleting the entire account, how do i get it off the email app?

Journeyman

I don't know how I did it, but I use the gmail account I had to set up for calendars, contacts, etc.  I don't use the email account and it doesn't appear on my email menu.  The email account has to stay open to support calendars, contacts, etc.  I may have just never added the gmail account to my email menu on the HTC Evo 4G.