cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to remove NOVA survey

Journeyman

Re: How to remove NOVA survey

Your statement about the "If the program closed and not accessed it will not run in the background" is false, I encourage you to investigate.  While it might be true that if it is NEVER opened it may not run in the background; I can tell you for fact that I only opened this app ONE TIME, downloaded the 80MB update.  It's cute and cool for a cell phone, but its kind of lame from a gaming perspective.  Now when my phone sits on standby for a few hours and I open up Advanced Task Killer... there it is, running in the background.  And since I've installed the update that contained it, my battery doesn't last for more than 24 hours with less than an hour of use and 23 on standby.  Pathetic.

Journeyman

SprintDoesn'tCare.

Dear Sprint:

We didn't ask for this app, nor a bunch of other apps as well.  The attitude of Sprint is unacceptable. 

You do not own our phones, we do.  Remember us?  Your customers?  We should ultimately be who decides what is on our phone or not, not your marketing department.

It is one thing to have pushed this software on us without disclosure or permission.  But to provide no way to remove it is just plain wrong.  It is irrelevant that it does not take up "space" on our devices.  It is irrelevant if it does not affect performance.

All that is relevant is that we, your customers, own the device and we don't want it on our phones for whatever reason.  For my sake, it visually clutters my applications screen with crap I don't want or use, and detracts from my user experience.

That alone is enough reason for it to be removed.

Journeyman

"as for your "Battery Use" It’s amazing that it doesn't list any applications in there at all.

Not the "News;Calendar;SprintZone;Nova;VoiceMail" ect ect ect, that are currently running on my phone even now.  Are you trying to tell all of us here that they use NO battery?  That all of these things are just icons running as services for fun?  How does that work?  If you are correct, I am glad to hear that all of my battery loss is from nothing at all."

"I've read all the responses and agree that "YES", something is killing our batteries. Whether it's Nova, Blockbuster or any other bloatware, it needs to be fixed. Ever since installing the last update, both of my HTC Evo's battery life has been cut in half. Please Sprint, fix this problem.

Oh, and I agree with another point. I don't care who Sprint has contracts or partnerships with, it's my phone and I should be able to decide which apps/programs I want on it."

These apps are NOT what's killing the battery.  There is an auto-update function in the Blockbuster app- turn it off if you're concerned about it.  But I promise that you won't see a measurable increase in battery.  Doing things like keeping your radios off when you're not using them, turning off background data, dialing down the sync frequency, using WiFi instead of 3G when possible, dimming your screen, etc. is what is going to help with battery.  Bad battery life after a software update is completely normal.  Due to how all existing data is saved when an update like that is performed, battery life and glitches are the 2 most common complaints.  The best thing that you can do after an update like that is to do a factory reset, so that the phone starts over with a new fresh copy of the ROM, with no old saved data that could be causing it to bug out.  Do a factory reset, as well as the things I mentioned above, and you will see an improvement in battery life.

"Your statement about the "If the program closed and not accessed it will not run in the background" is false, I encourage you to investigate.  While it might be true that if it is NEVER opened it may not run in the background; I can tell you for fact that I only opened this app ONE TIME, downloaded the 80MB update.  It's cute and cool for a cell phone, but its kind of lame from a gaming perspective.  Now when my phone sits on standby for a few hours and I open up Advanced Task Killer... there it is, running in the background.  And since I've installed the update that contained it, my battery doesn't last for more than 24 hours with less than an hour of use and 23 on standby.  Pathetic."

Once again, just because your little task killer tells you it's running, does not mean it's running.  If you knew anything at all about how Android works, you would understand that.  The full app is not running- it's merely the background service running as part of the ROM.  Try not using the task killer for a few days- battery life should actually improve.  The only apps that are really safe to close are ones with no internet access whatsover.  Otherwise, they're just gonna re-launch and update themselves again.  And that takes way more battery than if you just leave them running dormant in the background. 

"We didn't ask for this app, nor a bunch of other apps as well.  The attitude of Sprint is unacceptable. You do not own our phones, we do.  Remember us?  Your customers?  We should ultimately be who decides what is on our phone or not, not your marketing department.  It is one thing to have pushed this software on us without disclosure or permission.  But to provide no way to remove it is just plain wrong.  It is irrelevant that it does not take up "space" on our devices.  It is irrelevant if it does not affect performance.  All that is relevant is that we, your customers, own the device and we don't want it on our phones for whatever reason.  For my sake, it visually clutters my applications screen with **** I don't want or use, and detracts from my user experience."

Once again- every carrier does it, and there's nothing you can do.  You're right- you own your phone.  So do something about it.

Journeyman

Once again- every carrier does it, and there's nothing you can do.  You're right- you own your phone.  So do something about it.

Funny.  I thought I was.  If every carrier does it (which is not completely true: Cricket and iWireless [Kroger's prepaid service] offer Android phones that are 100% bloatware free) then the only recourse we have is to complain loudly.  Which we are doing.

Journeyman

wow sprintcares you relly dont get it do u! just think for a few seconds if thier r more them o lets say 30 or more people are having the same problem...well dont u think thier might be a problem?!  Yes, the apps in question  sprintfootball,nova,nascar and sprint tv constantly auto star everytime u wake ur phone up to make a call and they are running between 620kb and more of proccessing power. o look I just checked and yup they are running agin. Force quit dosent do jack, same with clearing data too. so if u think 620kb is nothing for the proccesor well times that by 4 and u r now in the mega bytes.  Also I DONT USE THOSE APPS!  so why wld I want them on my phone?? how about I send up an app to ur phone for (petafile hot line) and u cannot remove it!  Even better ill send u more everytime you update ur phone.  On another not ever since that last crappy update I too been having problems with my battery life, now instead of making it to almost 2 days of battery time, I can't make it threw the day without having to charge it.

Highlighted
Journeyman

"Funny.  I thought I was.  If every carrier does it (which is not completely true: Cricket and iWireless [Kroger's prepaid service] offer Android phones that are 100% bloatware free) then the only recourse we have is to complain loudly.  Which we are doing."

Um no. Not what I was referring to.  Either root your phone, or change carriers if Cricket is so attractive.

"Yes, the apps in question  sprintfootball,nova,nascar and sprint tv constantly auto star everytime u wake ur phone up to make a call and they are running between 620kb and more of proccessing power. o look I just checked and yup they are running agin. Force quit dosent do jack, same with clearing data too. so if u think 620kb is nothing for the proccesor well times that by 4 and u r now in the mega bytes.  On another not ever since that last crappy update I too been having problems with my battery life, now instead of making it to almost 2 days of battery time, I can't make it threw the day without having to charge it."

1 MB.  Wow.  That's such a huge percentage of your available RAM.  Quit complaining and do something about it.  And as I stated above, you will see better battery life if you do a factory reset.

Journeyman

Um no. Not what I was referring to.  Either root your phone, or change carriers if Cricket is so attractive

I shouldn't have to void my warranty and potentially have problems because my carrier made a boneheaded decision.  And maybe I like Sprint other than this one mistake.

You present a false dichotomy: that I either "put up and shut up" or force my hand.   I have a third choice.  That choice is to make my voice heard on the understanding that Sprint might actually care how their customers feel about something and change the policy, or at least apologize and promise to do better in the future.

Some of us are mature, responsible people who are willing to work with a partner (be it a vendor or otherwise) to solve a problem, rather than just walk off in a huff or steal command from the other when things don't go our way.  Expressing a viewpoint in a mature, precise way as I did in my comment is "putting my big boy pants on" and letting Sprint solve the problem.

Journeyman

I realise this is like closing the barn door after the horses have gotten out but... while on the HTC website looking to see if the button lightbar fix had been posted, I read the description of the 3.70 update. It was quite honest: all you were getting was the advertware, no fixes, no improvement , just what we got. Lesson learned.  --  Sharon

Journeyman

I agree. This is incredibly annoying. Ever since I installed this last upgrade, my battery life has been awful! Sprint should keep their stupid apps to themself! If I wanted these dumb apps I would download them!

Journeyman

Aside froming being boneheaded and invasive on Sprint's part, now my phone's internal memory is low.  So low I cannot update any of the programs I chose to have on my phone.  Meanwhile my internal sd card has over 7 gigs free. Doesn't make any kind of sense.  I've already moved all the programs I'm allowed to, to the SD card. 

Journeyman

It may be listed on the Sprint and HTC websites what Maintenance Release 3.70.651.1 was going to include. But in my opinion, before downloading the update to my phone, I think that we (Sprint customers) should have received an additional warning of what was about to be downloaded! I did not give the authority for Sprint, to accept on my behalf, third party apps that have access to personal areas of my phone (calls, messaging, GPS) that the apps that they forced in this update have. There is no reason for these apps to have access to that kind of information, they do not need it to function. Furthermore, a maintenance update should be to update apps and functions that already exist on the phone, not as a way to load new apps onto a device! Yes this is a lesson learned and I will be more cautious in the future before accepting anything coming from Sprint.

Journeyman

after reading all these posts, users overwhelmingly oppose this nova app.  count me among them.  regardless of what anyone says about why my battery life may or may not have decreased exponetially, it has.  i know it has, and that's all that matters to me.  and i honestly don't care if it's because nova is installed or blockbuster is idle, or if the man on the moon has hijacked my signal and is texting the cow about the dish running away with the spoon when the cow jumps.  it matters not.  so spare us all the reasons and excuses and explanations.  i know nothing about my phone programming and "rooting" and downloading task killer apps and blah blah blah.  i know i own a phone, i make calls, send texts, and get on internet with it.  i  DO NOT play nova, or watch blockbuster on my phone.  therefore i should be able to remove them both, again caring not about sprintcares offering that they do not use resources, they do not run, they do not eat battery.  if so, then let us remove them.  who cares why we want to remove them?  who cares if they use battery or not?  who cares if they hold the cure for cancer and can control the weather and bake cookies and travel in time?????  it is my choice what's on my phone, errr, should be my choice.  i am not a lawyer, but surely one of you out there is, if so please let us know if there is an opportunity to make a legal claim against sprint for this? this has to be illegal in some way.  c'mon, work your law magic!

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat