cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Htc Evo 4g never got 2.3.5 now isnt gonna get ics????

Journeyman

Re: Htc Evo 4g never got 2.3.5 now isnt gonna get ics????

This is very bad math (and customer service) to lock us into 24 month contract on phones that reach EOL in much less time.

We want ICS on our EVO4G's!!!!

I have been with Sprint over 10 years but will be looking carefully at other carriers. Paying $250/month for 5 phones.

Surely can do better elsewhere!

Master

No one has said the EVO will not get a software update.  Those updates are done by the manufacture not sprint.  I do not have any information on what the next update will be for the EVO or when it will release.

That information does not come down to use until it is ready to go   As dates of release can change dramatically base on testing by manufacture.

DrySailor2  End of life normally has nothing to do with device support.  It is like buying a car  Cars reach end of life at end of model year.   All carriers follow the same EOL  due to new models of phones and improvements in technology.  

Wizard

14Knight: I have to disagree a little with what you said above. Cars don't reach EOL at the end of the model year. Manufacturers stop producing that specific iteration of the car, but still provide support and updates for several years. Some cars (classic Corvettes, for instance) never reach EOL from a company support perspective. Others reach EOL sooner when the OEM ceases to provide parts support for a particular model.

Different manufacturers define EOL differently. If you look at the Microsoft model, they discontinue free support after about 5 years and discontinue all support after 10 years. Kubota tractors never reach EOL...they still provide 100% parts and service for every tractor they've ever produced. EOL does mark a change in the way Sprint/HTC will support our phones and to say that it has nothing to do with device support is misleading (yes, I'm a bit of an expert in this field).

If Sprint and/or HTC are moving the HTC Evo 4G into the EOL category and defining this as no longer providing software updates, this is a significant event for the many of us who have bought, supported, and defended the Evo before Sprint carried the iPhone. To further tell us that most cell phones have a 15-month cycle yet we sign up for a 24-month contract further fans the flames of frustration.

Journeyman

you keep saying its the manufacturer but it isnt htc has already released 2.3.4 for its devices sprint choose not to update the evo 4g and to deny that is flat out untrue. The fact is sprint locked us i to the evo for 2 years by there choice not htc and its sprint who needs to meet the market standard for any product currently on there self to be updated till its not being sold at all and less than a certain % of peopke have upgraded your comment about a 15 month update guarantee and sprint locked us in for 24 this is BBB complaint worthy stuff no to mention lawsuit capable. knight you will not win or sooth this discussion if you are i  fact a sprint rep. than let your pals at sprint know the people are being informed and they may wanna fix it now.

Journeyman

I think its great we got a sprint rep if in fact that is what knight is....to admit sprint only covers there phone for 15 months and sign us up for 24. If in fact he is a rep he just admitted every phone you buy from sprint will be outed the first year you own it lmao time to look else where? Think so...to bad i back htc the evo and sprint when iphone was ruleing now its sorry guy your out cold .....have a nice day wow just wow.

Journeyman

just a bump

Journeyman

well the discussion for me is over my replacement evo 4g was defective screen issue.And thanks to the wonderful ppl ar asurion i will now be getting the evo 3d so my customer service issues with sprint for now are def put on hold. Cuz they sure just did right by me thanks sprint and asurion for your help. still think the evo should get updated but not my problem now.

Master

This is just my opinion, but honestly because of the small amount of internal storage space, I doubt the Evo 4G will get an upgrade to ICS at all.  HTC Sense UI takes up so much space and to add ICS to that..you wouldn't have very much space to install any apps.  I don't think it technically can support an upgrade to ICS..except maybe by a custom ROM that has the HTC Sense removed. 

-John

Journeyman

Root your phone - and put what every software you want. 

Journeyman

I too am an EVO owner and very disappointed to hear about the end of life. What a harmful throwaway society we live in when they lock us in but “can’t” keep a dang phone properly supported for a couple of years. No more updates means more security and functionality issues…

GrandMaster

it goes from google to HTC (to make it compatible with which ever phone can handle it) to sprint(to make sure it works on their network and for additional changes to be made). as he said its up to HTC to decide what phones can actually handle it and which ones cant. the only way i can see the EVO being able to get it is if you have a rooted phone since there wont be enough room internally without removing all the locked in apps (blockbuster, nascar, etc).

as for 2.3.5. we got the watered down version. the only phones that will get the straight up version are the google phones. nexus s is one of them.

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Master

Sorry for the confusion   on what I said   Sprint continues to support phones long after end of life.  there is a point were technology changes and new updates are not sent up to the phone. \

you stated  to admit sprint only covers there phone for 15 months and sign us up for 24 

I have worked with customer whose phones are over 6 years old.  We will work  to get the device to work as it should. 

There is a point in the manufacturing and selling cycle where a new model comes out or the phone is not longer made. and that is end of life.   It does not have anything to do with the support Sprint will provide for the phone. 

Look at any carrier and you will find that most of the phones are on sale for about a year or less.

And yes I am a sprint rep as denoted by the logo under my name.  Again the example of a car its end of life is the model year. 

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat