cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Huawi envy?

Highlighted
Journeyman

Huawi envy?

A friend of mine recently got a Huawi Ascend (Cricket) and I noticed a feature it has that I wonder why EVO doesn't?

When his Ascend goes to sleep, after the screen timeout expires, he can wake it up via the Power button like the EVO. In addition he can wake it up by touching the Menu button or the End/Search button.

Any way to do this on EVO by an app? Or is this yet another reason to Root?

6 REPLIES 6
Master

Re: Huawi envy?

Imagine if you have the EVO in you pocket, and if those buttons were used to turn the screen on, your battery was going to drain even more. Personally I like it better this way, having a physical button to turn the screen on and off. Just my opinion.

I come here trying to help people and I'm NOT employed by Sprint, so If my reply helped you or if you get an answer to your question from other users, PLEASE mark it as solved.
Journeyman

Huawi envy?

Thanks for your reply, DJ. My EVO is either laying on a desk/table or worn on a lanyard around my neck, so triggering accidentally in my pocket is not an  issue.

Still think it's a cool feature on the Ascend. (Also a battery hog.)

Journeyman

Huawi envy?

My friend recently got the same phone. Trust me, i love buttons. Before switching to Sprint from AT&T, i had the Razr2. I miss it because of all the buttons i could use and the easy search i can do by pressing only a few buttons in my Contact list to find someone, unlike Evo where you have scroll down until you get to it.  The Ascend has the  5 hard buttons, including the ball thing, and have limited use. On the Evo, while they icons dont change, they have multiple uses in different apps. Plus, from the home screen, if you press and hold the home button, you get a list of all the apps you have used recently? Ascend is limited in that perspective and its slow too.  While im happy that my friend has a more recent phone than his old phone with slide out keyboard, which will remain anonymous because Walmart might come after me, we EVO  owners can out perform, out maneuver with style, any Cricket phone. Have fun, i know i will.

ps.- If you buy the extended battery, youll never have to worry about the battery dieing on you again. And while the Sprint version is more compatible with other accesories, still love it.

http://radioshackwireless.com/AccessoriesDetails.aspx?referringdomain=radioshack&agent=&oflag=&zipco...

Journeyman

Huawi envy?

Yo!! Hold on funky one! I'm not envious of the Ascend in total. I am very happy with my EVO and I still consider it one of the best Android phones available. One little feature of the Ascend that I like is you can wake it up by it's menu button. At the time I started this thread I didn't even realise it was a hardware button/switch, not a touch button like EVO.

Anyway the reason I'd like that feature as an option on the EVO is because of a physical disability I have that makes it difficult to use the Power button to wake up the EVO when it is laying on a table. Simply touch Home or Menu to wake up would rock! I've been looking for an app that can do that but there is none.

FYI, I did buy an extended battery for my EVO. Mine is the 3500mah Laza/Dailpc w/extended back cover from Amazon. http://www.amazon.com/gp/browse.html?ie=UTF8&marketplaceID=ATVPDKIKX0DER&me=A3MP7F92W1P0LP. I also bought the silicon cover for it. Evenrything works well!

Journeyman

Huawi envy?

Is it me or did everyone get the much bigger battery than me, lol. Anywho, im sorry for your disability. Ive seen a few apps out there that have special power button features that might help. I just tried to change some settings to see if i can make it unlock without the power button, but didn't work, so my input on this matter didn't help, but i wish you luck. Im sure someone will have an app like that sooner than later.

Journeyman

Huawi envy?

I know, no such setting. When I first got my EVO I was also surprised there was no setting to make the phone use speakerphone by default. There is a app that does, Car Mode, though.

I came across an app that will power up from other hardware  buttons and trackball. I doubt it is possible on the EVO to add such a feature  to its touch buttons. I’m guessing that those 4 buttons are part of the display.  And if not It is probably wired with the main display. So no way to have the  buttons active independent of the screen.

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat