cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I hate the Android 2.3.3 OTA

Journeyman

Is there any way to remove android 2.3.3 or am I stuck with it?   Ever since I got my EVO it has had it on and half of my apps don't work right.  Someone please HELP   

27 REPLIES 27
Journeyman

Far as I know you are stuck, I had that thought too, to down-grade, not long ago.  Nor can you root the thing till someone figures out how with the new software.

Journeyman

If u want to downgrade from android 2.3 to 2.2 call your local corporate sprint repair center and see if they have the equipment to do it. If they do they will do it for free. Also the reason y your apps dont work may be because the developers have not made them compatible with 2.3

GrandMaster

they cant. once its on there the only way you can go back is by rooting the phone. even if they ship him a new phone it will automatically come with 2.3.3

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Journeyman

Well from my experience it is possible. In january i called to complain about the 2.2 3.70 ota that put blockbuster app on my phone. Their was back and forth and finger pointing for a few days then i got a manager who contacted me and told me to bring my phone to a repair center in the next city over and they would fix it. I brought it to the store and they had equipment that flashed my phone back to the 2.2 3.30 release that did not have the blockbuster app. So yeah they can do it, it just depends on what stores have the equipment in your area.

Wizard

Re: I hate the Android 2.3.3 OTA

It is not possible to downgrade many devices due to boot loader updates not supporting previous ROM Update Utility (RUUs). The store should not assist in rolling back any OS on any device. And in this case especially with the EVO 4G Gingerbread update, there is a lot of buzz internally within Sprint making sure that the customer care folks don't send customers into stores for this because the store folks can not do it. But - please let us know what you all find out! Keep in mind this was an OS upgrade not a Maintenance Release.

Journeyman

BeaArthur wrote:

Keep in mind this was an OS upgrade not a Maintenance Release.

Actually...

http://community.sprint.com/baw/community/sprintblogs/announcements/blog/2011/06/02/htc-evo-4g-from-...
[HTC EVO™ 4G from Sprint will receive the Android™ 2.3, Gingerbread, update through an over-the-air maintenance release beginning on Monday, June 6.]

http://community.sprint.com/baw/thread/69368

[6/3 - HTC EVO Maintenance Release - Android 2.3 (4.22.651.2)]

http://community.sprint.com/baw/community/buzzaboutwireless/phones-and-devices/htc_phones/evo_4g/blo...

[HTC EVO Maintenance Releases]

/just sayin

It really was an OS upgrade and correct me if I'm wrong but didn't they lock the bootloader? and wouldn't that only be done with an OS upgrade.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Just to be clear, the fact that your apps don't work with 2.3 is the devs fault. Not Sprint/HTC/Google. The devs have access to the Android source code, and SDKs to make their apps compatible, I should know because I AM an android dev.

I will agree that this update is in need of a serious patch though. Really helpful features like Speech to Text is broken, as well as voice search. You have to be in a completely silent room, in order for these features to work.

Journeyman

hey Phefner79  if you a dev can you make my wimax notifier work again  "I HAVE MONEY"    I feel like pretty woman....

also it is true Sprint stores will just keep giving you  replacement evos I should know i am on my sixth.... I have emailed and spoke with HTC and Johnathan at dan@sprint.com

how many phone exchanges do i have to go through till they offer me a diffrent model???? I think if we keep exchanging these phones maybe the  Sprint  Customer Support will get tired of dealing with us and Get on the DEVS to fix  what they Borked... I actually Feel sorry for the CSR' as they get beat up pretty bad...

BTW I an  by no means a Sprint "FanBoi"

TiNy

GrandMaster

seeing as how theres 1000's of apps out there sprint wont get on the devs to fix anything. only thing you can do is go into the app market and comment on each of your apps that dont work. usually if its a known issue they will have a comment on the page saying so and that a fix is currently in the works.

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Journeyman

This 2.3.3 upgrade was THE WORST THING EVER! My Evo 4G was great up until I decided to upgrade. Now every time I turn around there is another bug with my phone!

It seems that few of the notification icons are ever correct any more, I am now having battery life issues that I never had, the phone mysteriously shut down on me the other day and when I tried to boot it, it locked on me (never happened before), I have to press the "buttons" on my power panel at least twice if i want them to do anything anymore, etc., etc.

I used to tell people how great my phone was; now I can't wait for my next phone refresh (coming soon I hope!). This was the most irresponsible upgrade I have ever seen. Did Sprint/HTC even to ANY QA/QC testing before they whipped this pile of garbage upgrade out?

Sprint/HTC, please let me downgrade!!

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat