Sprint Community is Read Only. Please use the My Sprint app or Sprint.com to manage your account. If you need assistance, please visit Sprint.com/chat or visit community.t-mobile.com
Sprint Community is Read Only. Please use the My Sprint app or Sprint.com to manage your account. If you need assistance, please visit Sprint.com/chat or visit community.t-mobile.com
Sprint Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I know EVO is EOL but will it ever get 2.3.4 with Sense 2?

Journeyman

I know EVO is EOL but will it ever get 2.3.4 with Sense 2?

I know the EVO is EOL but will it ever get 2.3.4 with Sense 2? I know Sense 3 won't happen but there is so much in 2.3.4 and sense 2 that we currently dont have. At bare minimum 2.3.4 may very well fix a lot of the 2.3.3 issues. Verizon saw the logic in updating the thunderbolt to 2.3.4 to fix all of the issues 2.3.3 caused just as it did the EVO....see here http://androidadvices.com/htc-thunderbolt-ota-gingerbread-update/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=e...

Not to mention the fact that the EVO shift got sense 2 and its much less popular compared to the EVO 4g. 

So what do you say sprint...will we ever get it?

19 REPLIES 19
Journeyman

2.3.4 and Sense 2 on EVO? Maybe when Sprint freezes over.

Journeyman

I hope you ar ewrong. Honestly I think Sprint has done a good job with the evo...minus the problems with gingerbread.  I just hope they dont  stop it here.

Journeyman

At this point I would rather not see another update I would rather see a (downdate) back to froyo 2.2 because now my evo is not as great as it was before gingerbread. The only thing on the plus side if you can call it that is the animated clock ( who really cares about that ). Bring on the (downdate)!!!

Journeyman

/\/\/\/\/\/\ amen to froyo !!!!! but it wont happen I really dont Sprint cares anymore about the evo OG they got there money already

Journeyman

I agree they already got our money for the EVO but they continue to get our money every month for their service and if their lack of respect for our concerns might just cause people to go to another carrier when contact is up or even before. On principal alone I can see myself doing just that.

Wizard

Hello!

Why do you believe that the EVO is considered to be at End of Life?

Journeyman

Well, with the introduction of the EVO 3d and the EVO 4g+ rumors one can only assume that the evo which is now over a year old will be phased out. Maybe not just yet but it is near.  It is just the way electronics are, every 12-18 months there is something new to take the old one's place. Unfortunately I just upgraded from the Hero to the Evo in january so I am stuck with the EVO until 11/12. Not that that is a bad thing but I hope that we will get the 2.3.4 and sense 2 update before the EVO is no longer supported.

Just look at my old Hero and my wifes samsung moment...both have not seen an update in forever.

Wizard

While the EVO isn't the newest or fastest phone, I'd wager that at the moment and for a good while still, its one of the biggest phones we have in terms of customer base. There is no immediate plans to stop selling it and we will support it past that.

In the case of the Hero and the Moment, in both cases, it came down to hardware restrictions. They figuratively just simply did not have the horses under the hood for it to be practical to update the software on those phones to keep them current after a while. Keep in mind that those phones were the third and fourth Android devices available in the US.

Take a look at the history and see where that puts them these days.

http://www.google.com/phone/

We continue to support the EVO and will do so for some time.

Will we eventually have to put the EVO out to pasture? Realistically, just as you said, we will have to.

If you call in, will we still help out in finding a solution for any problem you may have? Absolutely.

Journeyman

thanks for the reassurance JP.  I know the hardware restrictions was a factor for both phones and as I stated I know every electronic is sooner or later replaced, which is why I worded the title the way I did.  I do love my EVO and In essance I wanted to know if the EVO is too old to be updated with sense 2 and GB 2.3.4?  I am not one that likes to root my phone for fear of bricking it so I look to sprint/htc to keep my phone up to date.

On a side note I was anxiously waiting for gingerbread so I can have google video chat but since it was not included in the 2.3.3 I am eager to know if we will get 2.3.4 and with it google video chat?

Journeyman

So how can you update the regular HTC EVO with the new Update that came out today for the HTC Shift?

My roommate has the Shift, and his has all kinds of new updates and stuff that my phone doesn't have!

Wizard

I would imagine that the next update for the EVO will have either 2.3.4 or higher and allow the video chat. This is just a guess based of my experience with how these things work, as no official word on it yet. I would put it in the, "I wouldn't worry about it, but I wouldn't make business plans off the expectation" sort of category.

Community News

Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat