cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Incoming Text Messages reflecting the wrong time.

SOLVED
Journeyman

Incoming Text Messages reflecting the wrong time.

I am having a slight issue with my Evo, My text messages that I receive from people are coming in right away but the time is showing up as an hour later. I am in the central time zone but the text are showing up as eastern time zone. Yesterday, I went to Birmingham, AL. and the issue resolved itself but when I came back home, to lower AL. It started happening again. Any suggestions on how to fix this?

Message was edited by: rishana97

Tags (2)
7 REPLIES
Wizard

Re: Text Messages reflecting the wrong time.

rishana97 wrote:

I am having a slight issue with my Evo, My text messages that I receive from people are coming in right away but the time is showing up as an hour later. I am in the central time zone but the text are showing up as eastern time zone. Yesterday, I went to Birmingham, AL. and the issue resolved itself but when I came back home, to lower AL. It started happening again. Any suggestions on how to fix this?

Easy, just move to Birmingham.  Seriously, a cell tower near your home may be set to eastern time instead of central time.  If you live within a few miles of the zone border, you may be picking up a tower that is actually in the eastern time zone; or a tower may be mis-programmed.

Journeyman

Thanks, but it only does it on messages that I receive.

Journeyman

Wasbakntyme is most probably right on this one, this seems to be a network tower issue:

http://www.evo4gforum.net/troubleshooting-htc-evo-4g/text-message-timestamp-issue/

I would consider doing some tests, and giving sprint a call so perhaps they could walk you through testing on another tower.

As stated on the forum a 3rd party messaging program such as handcent seems to fix the issue.. at least in a rudimentary fashion.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Thanks, appreciate the help, I have downloaded Handcent and it has helped

Journeyman

It is not a time zone thing!!! My evo sometimes will put the text messages 5-6 hours ahead of where I am!!! IT SUCKS!!! They got to fix this soon! It really sucks going up and down to read messages.  It seems to happen when you are in low signal areas!!! Never had problems like this with my blackberry! What can I do to fix this?

Journeyman

To reiterate, this is most likely a network tower issue, I've experienced something similar when on low reception and texting.  As per the work around above, downloading and using handcent or another third party messaging app from the market seems to work by putting these messages in order if at least not showing the correct time.

Otherwise it would be advisable to contact sprint regarding this issue and see if they can comment on how to get on the correct towers that display the correct time.

Journeyman

Re: Incoming Text Messages reflecting the wrong time.

I spoke to sprint tech today and it seems that this is an issue with most EVO's. There is a free app in the android market that will set your incoming message -1 hour. Search for SMS Time Fix. This will temporarily fix resolve the issue until HTC fixes it with update.