Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Infinite boot loop anyone?

Go to solution
Highlighted
Journeyman

Infinite boot loop anyone?

Has anyone experienced the issue where the device will reboot infinitely?

It just occurs radomly..   The rebooting will go no further than the "4G" animation and keep replaying it...

The only way to stop this is to do a hard reset..grrr....

I'm actually terrified to turn the device off because of this... i have everything set up just the way I want it..

8 REPLIES 8
Journeyman

Re: Infinite boot loop anyone?

I'm having the same problem.

Journeyman

Sorry, but whenever an Android device does this to me, I usually have to factory reset. I know its a pain, but here are some things you can do to make it easier to get things back up and running.

First, make sure all your contacts and calendars are Google type or at least Outlook and have them sync. That will take care of your most important information.

Second, get AppBrain and use it to sync the list of all installed applications to their site. Then login on their site and copy all the applications in your phone list to a new list and call it something like "backup".

Now you can factory reset your phone. After setting sync back up, you should have all your contacts, calendars and email back. Then download AppBrain, set it up. Then go on your computer and select all the apps in your backup list and click install. Switch back to your phone, open AppBrain, click sync. You should see all your apps in the install queue. Just hit the "Install All" button and then it will take you to each application's page in the market. Select the application, install it, then hit back until you see the next one, install it, ... rinse, repeat, and your done.

This is still a little bit of a pain, but it makes things about as easy as currently possible. I'd also recommend checking your phone reboots properly after each app you install. My phones usually do that because an app is doing bad things.

Journeyman

Hi!

THanks for that suggestion!

I did a little investigating and it only does this infinite boot after I add my Exchange account..

I figured this out by adding one account at a time, and turning the phone off and on after each add(Gmail, and Live).

I had no programs installed because I got annoyed since this was the third time this has happened to me(third time turning off the phone)....

I sent an email off to the provider of my hosted exchange solution to see if there is something on their end...

In the mean time I've decided to not sync with exchange...Smiley Sad

Journeyman

It's using a Exchange PIN with only numeric characters that is causing this - all over the HTC forums.

Change to an alpha numberic or alpha only PIN for Exchange sync and you'll be fine.

Journeyman

Can you provide a link to one of the HTC forums regarding this issue?  I searched on their site and couldn't find anything(the search function wasn't all that helpful)...

thanks!

Journeyman

Sure! (I just googled "htc evo boot loop" and found it that way orginally)

http://community.htc.com/na/htc-forums/android/f/94/p/2954/11651.aspx#11651

Journeyman

Yes it's happening to me too.  I seem to notice it does it when the phone is hot (ie, it's been running a navigation app or when it's outside in hot weather, when i'm trying to use the camera function).  I called sprint customer service today to complain about it and they claim it hasn't been a problem.  I have the Sprint rubber skin accessory so maybe I'll try to take that off and see if the phone stays cooler and doesn't go into reboot mode.....grrrrrrr

Journeyman

I have the same problem but I don't have any Exchange accounts setup. I reset it to factory settings once and after a day it went back to the same cycle w/o any apparent cause. I noticed that after I fully charge the battery the phone is fine for about one day and then it goes into the loop when the battery is about to expire. I'm very disappointed in the device, hardware speaking because I love Android but I cannot afford to buy a phone every year because of poor manufacturing.

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat