cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Insufficient Memory and keep losing memory

Journeyman

Insufficient Memory and keep losing memory

Hello,

Let me describe my situation and maybe someone can help.

1. I have not installed any new applications in months
  2. Months ago, I moved all the applications that could be moved to my SD card
  3. I use an app to clear cache, history, call logs/text, etc. all the time
  4. However, my available memory keeps going down and most of the time I get the "Insufficient Memory" message.

What keeps eating up my memory and how can I free some up?

Also, the phone has both a Facebook and Facebook for HTC Sense app.  Do I need both of these?

What will happen if I clear out the data from these two (2) apps?

How can I clear out old Facebook and Twitter entries in FriendStream?  Will this help the memory situation?

Lastly, it has always been frustrating that there are a bunch of pre-installed apps which I don't use, but can't uninstall.  Is this situation still the same with new Sprint phones, or can you now uninstall pre-installed apps you don't want?

Thanks, Gary

8 REPLIES 8
GrandMaster

Re: Insufficient Memory and keep losing memory

pull up your apps through the settings-applications-all..sort them by size and see what all is eating up memory..if its a stock app you never use you can disable it and free up quite a bit of space..also if its a app you dont really use then there shouldnt be any reason for it to be building up memory in the first place..just be VERY careful..you dont want to just jump in and start disabling things ...some of them are needed for the phone to even operate. post if you have any questions about the apps and if they are needed or not.

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
GrandMaster

you cant uninstall them..you can only disable them...even with the newer phones.

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************

GaryDriskill,

I had this issue with one of my phones as well. It's irritating when you are near storage capacity. fireguy_6364 provided useful steps in disabling unused apps. If you have music, videos or pictures stored on your phone you should consider backing them up to a PC or cloud storage to free up some space also.

*Julian

Sprint Social Care

GrandMaster

the original evo didnt have access to the cloud did it?

GrandMaster

plus all of that would have been stored on the sd card anyways..

Journeyman

fireguy_6364 & Madman_Mordo,

Thanks for the replies and suggesstions.  First, let me say I am tech savvy, but have just run out of ideas.  I had already disabled the apps I couldn't uninstall, but don't use (NASCAR, NFL Football, etc.).  This didn't seem to help much, not enough anyway.  I don't download music and I will check the pictures and video, but I think they are stored on the SD card. Any other ideas?

I used to have my business Email setup using Echange ActiveSync, but I had to remove that because of the storage.

Also, did you see my other related questions:

The phone has both a Facebook and Facebook for HTC Sense app.  Do I need both of these?

What will happen if I clear out the data from these two (2) apps?  They take up a lot of space

How can I clear out old Facebook and Twitter entries in FriendStream?  Will this help the memory situation?

One last thing will be a rank.  I let Play Store update Google Talk to Google Hangouts.  That was a mistake.  After installing I looked at Hangouts and it was over 20mb.  All program, no data.  Ridiculous, so I uninstalled it.

Thanks, Gary

GrandMaster

to be honest unless you use FB often i would go ahead and exnay the main one..FB for sense is kind of built into sense so personally i would leave that one alone..if anything clear any updates on it. as for friend stream clear the cache on it..unless you actually use it clear the data as well and make sure youre not linked to it anymore..back when i had that phone i pretty much uninstalled the updates for any built in apps i never used...wasnt any reason to keep them up to date if i wasnt using it...i had quite a few apps moved to my sd card as well...i was usually hovering around 100mb of free space with my phone..and i had a LOT of apps on that bad boy.

GaryDriskill,

Hey Gary, were you able to follow the steps that fireguy_6364 provided? Did they help with your device storage?

*Julian

Sprint Social Care

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat