Sprint Community Registration currently closed. Please use the My Sprint app or Sprint.com to manage your account. If you need assistance, please visit Sprint.com/chat or visit community.t-mobile.com
Sprint Community Registration currently closed. Please use the My Sprint app or Sprint.com to manage your account. If you need assistance, please visit Sprint.com/chat or visit community.t-mobile.com
Sprint Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is anyone else still having problems with wifi reception/connectivity on the HTC evo?

Highlighted
Journeyman

Is anyone else still having problems with wifi reception/connectivity on the HTC evo?

I purchased a new evo 4 days ago, and have had problems with connectivity on all wifi networks.  It works at home if I'm in the same room as the router, but anywhere else in the house it shows a very weak signal, and will disconnect and start scanning again.  My laptop works fine on the router, and my old Samsung Moment would even pick up my neighbors wifi from their houses.  I have also tried it in two hotels that have wifi service with the same result.

I called HTC and we did a factory reset on the phone, and it worked until I powered the phone down and then booted it up again.  I have read several posts from June and July of 2010, but have read nothing more recent.  The phone has all the current updates etc.

Can anyone help?

6 REPLIES 6
Highlighted
Journeyman

I know you wrote that your Evo has all updates.  I would check one more time, install any available updates, then shut down the phone and restart.  If that does not fix it, then I would take the phone back.  Maybe it has a bad antenna.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Mine is the same way, my iPhone would get full bars through out the house up stairs and down. I think the EVO just has a weak wifi radio.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Yep, I checked 3 times and I DO have the current update, reset the phone etc.  The 4g tends to be the same as the wifi.  In Philadelphia, it kept connecting and disconnecting like the wifi at home.  In Nashville the 4g was great, but I WAS on the 19th floor of the hotel!

I also had problems with it last week not knowing where it was.  My alarm didn't go off in Salt Lake City because the phone thought it was in the Baltics or somewhere 12hrs behind, so I almost didn't make it to work on time.  In my job I CAN'T be late.  I have also had problems at home in Arizona with it, showing I was in Moldavia of all places! lol!  HTC says that they and Sprint are aware of the problem and are "working on it".

I have had some issues with the onscreen keyboard as well, the biggest one being my fat fingers not hitting the right keys, which is not the phone's fault, however, the ironic thing is, it wouldn't allow me to open the keyboard on Sprint's own website to respond to your post!  I had to wait 'til I got back home!

I am taking the evo back today and am either going to pay the early termination fee, or put up with my Moment for another few months.  I'm really sick of messing with phones as the Moment is the 6th, yes 6th one I've had in a year.  It was okay for 3 months, but is acting up now.  I give up!

Highlighted
Journeyman

Same problems both my husband and I have each have Evos and all it does is obtain address and then disconnect.  If you touch the connection it states that it has excellent signal strength and open security yet never gets past obtaining - just disconnects and starts over.  Have been on the phone with advanced technica support sorry they are clueless.  Pretty obnoxious   any advice????

Highlighted
Journeyman

No advice from me anyhow.  They talked me into trying the new evo "shift".  With the slower processor than the regular evo, it was just as slow as my Moment. If I am going to pay $200 and be bound by another 2yr contract, I want the phone to be a quality phone.  I went to Verizon and was ready to walk out with a new Motorola Droid when I found out how expensive their plans were compared to Sprint, with fewer features.  I've decided to deal with my Moment for another 9mos when my contract has ended, and hope that Sprint gets some high-quality well-built phones that do what they advertise!  If not, I will have recieved a pay raise and will switch to Verizon for the Motorola. lol!

Highlighted
Journeyman

Sorry you didn;t get your problem fixed... Mine also changes time zones to Sri Lanka or Guam on occasion.... Bottom line, Unhappy with phone and Unhappy with Sprint... I left Verizon because of the less expensive Data plans I needed 4 data phones.  However since we got 4G phones thats and Extra 10 per month per phone ($40) a month.  I almost cancelled right then and there feeling cheated, But I went  against my gut allowed the salesman (and Husband) to calm me down and take a $200 credit for the inconvenience of pay an additiona $40/month for 24 months ( I guess I had  bad math day).  Really we had promised the kids 16 & 20 the new phones for Christmas BTW they got the Samsung Epics (they wanted the key pad) and they love them.  I will be bringing the 2 Evos to the store and if they can't fix the problems I will request new ones under warranty.  Worth a try  Live and Learn.  Never go against what your gut tells you.

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat