cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LOW STORAGE PROBLEM

Journeyman

LOW STORAGE PROBLEM

I am unable to update the voicemail update because the phone says i dont have enough room.

( i read that i should do a factory reset ) how do i do this withough loosing the personal items in the phone?

the phone says that i have 46 MB left in the internal storage. with 4GB on the card.

95% of my apps are on my SD card.

This seems to be a defect and problem with the EVO and or HTC product and not an after-market bug and or result.

This issue needs to be fixed or a class action lawsuit should be filed so that everyone that has this issue with the EVO HTC are given their money back for the product.

18 REPLIES 18
Highlighted
Master

Re: LOW STORAGE PROBLEM

If you go to Menu>>Settings>>Applications have you looked at the size of the data in your programs. I have an EVO and I have 140mb but I regularly clean out data is programs. Like browser cookies and cache etc

There are backup programs but I doubt you will need to do a hard reset.

Larry ~ OKIESTRO

GrandMaster

yah the usual culprits are the facebook app and email accounts. ditto with a abnormal amount of saved/kept texts and so on. also once you start going through your apps to clear data and the cache odds are you'll find a few you dont even really use anymore..more space saved lol.

also even though your apps are saved to your sd card the main information itself isnt. more of a FYI than anything.

also any apps that came with the phone and are unable to be removed..make sure theyre not set to auto update. go into the app market and pull up your apps. go through one by one and the ones that cant be removed and you dont use you can erase any updates they have had clearing even more space. just make sure to uncheck the auto update area so it doesnt just reload them again.

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Journeyman

I deleted a bunch of old text messages,  and that ended up opening enough space for the voicemail update. But this issue makes the phone not user friendly.

Thanks for the tips

Master

I use a backup program for text messages so that I can always restore them if needed, SMS BACKUP AND RESTORE.

Also I don't really eliminate any personal info - I clear out map, navigation and browser cache and data and clear up quite a lot of space. When you go to Menu>>Settings>>Applications>>Manage Applications  you can sort by size - as you open each app you can see cache and data size and see where those programs are storing data.

Glad you got the update and hope these tips help you.

Larry

Journeyman

I am also having low storage issues. I have deleted all apps I do not use, cleared the cache, transferred all pictures and videos to my computer and still I have low storage. This problem is becoming increasingly annoying and from what I'm reading this is not an isolated incident. The apps I do use and want to keep cannot update and the apps I never use that are on the phone I cannot delete. Something needs to be done. It's a shame because I really like the evo and would be pretty bummed if I have to switch phones because of this.

Wizard

If you go to Menu > Settings > Applications > Manage Applications > All tab > Press Menu > Sort by size. What are your top apps and how much memory are they using?

Journeyman

My phone ended up crashing and having it reversed to factory settings. The sprint rep claimed that it was probably a program or something else, but I think it is a defective aspect of this phone because others are having the same problem. I will never buy another HTC or at least for 5 years.

Wizard

I have an Evo 4G and occasionally get the "out of internal storage message" when I load some huge game or something. It is not HTC. It is Android and you. You have to manage your memory just like you would with a computer.

Master

Geek, It's an issue Gingerbread introduced, It's NOT user error. We NEVER had this issue before gingerbread. I went from over 129 apps down to less then 25 and still had run into it, Funny since I rooted I have not once had the low memory error pop up. It's been postd since last summer that HTC/Sprint were aware of the issue and working on a fix, and then all of a sudden it got swept under the rug and now are constantly blaming it on apps and user and state no fix is in the works.

Master

https://twitter.com/#!/sprintcare/statuses/106421071682609152

Wizard

I would not give much credibility to that one tweet. The SprintCares team is not a high-level team. They are reps whose job is to try to improve Sprint's online reputation by helping customers. "HTC is working on a fix" sounds like a fabrication.

Sprint has no Known Issue document covering this, which would be the case if "HTC is working on a fix." I have also checked with the department that investigates these issues and there is no such issue. This does not mean people are not having the issue. It just means that they have not found the problem to be reproducible and inherent to the software build.

I also could not find anything at XDA which usually covers these sort of issues.

I am not saying you are wrong. I am just saying I could not find any credible evidence of an issue that, if true, would surely be noted far and wide considering the number of Evo 4G users.

If you could cite some other sources, I would be very interested in reading them.

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat