cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Loose Charging Port On 2 HTC EVO 4G Phones

Journeyman

Loose Charging Port On 2 HTC EVO 4G Phones

Hello,

So far, 2 out of the 4 HTC EVO 4G phones I have purchased have loose charging ports.  So loose, that it's difficult to adjust to get the charge going.

From what some have posted here:

http://community.htc.com/na/htc-forums/android/f/94/t/3825.aspx

Sprint is charging $100 to replace.

This is simply not acceptable.

We did not abuse these phones.  There is no way these should have failed within a month of owning.

We're past the 30 day mark.  I have yet to go into Sprint.  I just want to bring this to the attention of consumers, customers and more importantly, Sprint.

I love this phone.  And I do not want to part with it.  But I will not be paying $100 for a replacement.  I didn't break it.  It's obivious the charging port was of poor design.

I would like to know if anyone else is having the issue.  I will be reporting my Sprint store results tomorrow.

Brad

Tags (2)
176 REPLIES
Journeyman

Re: Loose Charging Port On 2 HTC EVO 4G Phones

Brad,

I have had EXACTLY the same issue, and EXACTLY the same response from Sprint support. There are actually two forum discussing this issue:

http://community.htc.com/na/htc-forums/android/f/94/p/3406/16031.aspx

http://androidforums.com/support-troubleshooting-evo-4g/105948-power-port-already-broken-htc-evo.htm...

Since I just finished paying 400 dollars for this phone (and have not recieved my rebate, yet), I wasn't about to pay another 100 bucks to fix it at this time. I just continued to charge it as I could.

Well, until last night, when the phone died. DIED. So, now my hands are tied, essentially. And I'll likely be waiting a week or more for a replacement.

I absolutely agree -- I did NOT break this phone. The manufacturing was already faulty. Period.

I'm a Premier customer (not that that seems to mean anything), and switched to Sprint after being with ATT for over a decade. I regret my decision.

Sprint needs to recognize this as a known issue, and replace our phones for free, or let us opt out of our contracts. There is no way this issue is an aberration considering the number of people experiencing it.

Mindy

Journeyman

yes  i agree  when i plug mine into  a car charger it does a few things  the charge indicator blinks and sometimes  it does not lite up at all. plus  the phone gets hot   its crazy.

Journeyman

I agree with all other posters. There is definitely some defect with the car charger as opposed to the home charger in that the car charger is looser and is probably defective in that it is a bit small and doest not fit as snug as the home charger. The car charger as well as the phone gets hot and the phone rarely charges fully before I get the orange and green lites blinking simultaneously. I wonder if this is damaging the phone. It can become irritating as I drive for a living and have experienced this car charger problem on a daily basis since purchasing the phone five weeks ago.

If more people experience this problem, please post here. If it is a major problem then Sprint should address it before it becomes an explosive issue and hurts their reputation and sales as Apple's iPhone recently experienced.

Journeyman

Just to clarify:

The problem doesn't seem to be the chargers (at least in the majority of the cases), rather the *port* the charger connects to, inside the phone. Although I agree that the car charger and wall charger perform differently, but that's likely the result of the faulty micro USB port.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Hi all, I am having the EXACT same problem.  The charging port itself is loose.  Multiple cables are wiggling around loosely inside.  I need to literally push the cable in and hold it there in order to get a charge.  I haven't been rough in any way with this phone, either.  I'm very upset, because I'm traveling internationally this weekend!  ARGGGH. I otherwise love this phone and am satisfied with Sprint.  Sprint, please fix this.

Journeyman

I bought the phone first day (June 4) and earlier this week this problem manifested itself on my phone.  I have to hold the connector a certain way to get the phone to charge, on both my home and car charger.   I took it to the local Sprint repair center and was told they couldn't reproduce the problem, and if the connector was in fact loose as I suspected, that it would be deemed "physical damage" and would cost me out of pocket to replace the phone

I can reproduce the problem every time.  Having the technician suggest I would be paying out of pocket to replace a never-abused like-new phone less than two months after purchase was not acceptable to me.  I called Customer Service, explained my issue, and they sent me a recertified unit which I hope is waiting for me at home tonight.

Although a replacement phone will probably resolve the issue (until the connector on the refurb goes bad), this experience is deeply concerning.

Why can't the connector be repaired?  Is complete phone replacement really the only viable repair option for a $500 phone?  This seems absurd.

Journeyman

I think its a problem with the brand HTC, my daughter's  samsung moment has the same issued, and they wanted us to by a new phone  instead of even trying to repair it, I said no way! the phone is not even 4 months old yet, so I will be taking it to a Corporate store and see if they'll just replace the phone for free, but I'm guessing it's just a bad hardware problem on HTC's part as well as Samsung.

Maybe you Evo consumers can threaten a lawsuit, there's no way you should have to dish out another $ 100.00 dollars on a brand new phone, that is bull #

Message was edited by: greeneyedbutterfly

Message was edited by: greeneyedbutterfly

Journeyman

I am having the SAME problem I have to use a t pin to hold the plug into the phone and I too think that it is outrageous that we should have to pay $100 for a design flaw

Journeyman

Exact same thing here. I bought the phone for my son. Charger port on the phone is loose just past the 30 day return period. Charges intermittently. You have to hold it just the right way. Not the cord. It is the port in the phone. Still waiting on rebate too....