cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My EVO was stolen yesterday! Conehead wants $150 from me to return it.

Go to solution
Highlighted
Journeyman

My EVO was stolen yesterday! Conehead wants $150 from me to return it.

So my phone is mysteriously missing after I go to a restaurant....must've left it on the table. I call it, and a guy answers."how much of a reward are you offering?" YEESH!

I offer him something nominal....and he says he'll call me back.

I pull the phone records, shows that he made 8 calls with my phone....so I called them all, one said she would talk with the guy who has it, another texted me back and said "How much?"

I get a call this morning (private number) and it's a guy named "Mike" who "bought" my phone for $150, and "heard that I lost my EVO." If I give him the $150 he paid for it, he'll give it to me. I tell him I've called in the ESN and it's reported as stolen to Sprint, and they won't activate it, he says that he can get the phone "flashed" to work, his friend works at a phone store......

By now, I've already called Asurion and filed the claim (BTW, they said they DO NOT replace the micro SD card that came with the phone, as it's an "extra" not needed for phone operation. Nice.) It's going to be at least a week before I get a replacement as the EVO is backordered. Sprint said I could try to find it with the friends and family locator, but that Asurion would do that as well....and I needed to file the claim ASAP to get the phone faster....so I asked Asurion, they don't do a locate on it.

MEANWHILE...I'm stuck with a 2004 Pink Sanyo flip phone with Hello Kitty stickers all over it just so I can get the calls for my interviews until the EVO arrives.

Here's my question - Can he make this phone work? I called Sprint again today, they said they're putting the ESN on "Permanent Stolen" status, and that he couldn't get the MSY (?) from them to reprogram it, and that it won't work with another network.

I just want the satisfaction of knowing he can't use it for a phone. And, I'd love to find a way to send the 8 people he called a text or phone call every 5 minutes for the rest of their lives. Maybe I can post the numbers on here and everyone can text/call them to torment them relentlessly.

35 REPLIES 35
Wizard

Re: My EVO was stolen yesterday! Conehead wants $150 from me to return it.

Why not call your local police?

Journeyman

Did you have reservations? What kind of restaurant?  Do they have cameras in the place you dined at? Maybe a worker would recognize the thief...

Message was edited by: goygacon

Journeyman

Very sorry to hear of your misfortune and the lowlifes that have your phone. When you get the replacement please put a program such as mobile defense on the phone so you can quickly do a gps locate and remote wipe on the phone if this ever happens. It’s free as are other programs like this. Good luck.

Journeyman

wasbakntyme wrote:

Why not call your local police?

excataly

Journeyman

I have notified the police, no luck there. High tech stuff is just too hard to trace, apparently. Thanks for the videocam advice, all that's there is a person picking up the phone. No face, no details...they didn't go to the cashier ever, so nothing good. Must've been using the restroom or just cruising through looking for items left on tables. There's open access to the sidewalk, people sitting all around, but my table was pretty deep inside. Nice clientele.....and he didn't exactly look like the rest of the people there, but no clues. Can he use the phone after it's been locked 'permanently' by Sprint? (of course he can use the music section...it's full of my songs.)

I will definitely be using a remote retrieval/wiping program along with a security code on my replacement.

Journeyman

did you install lookout  in that phone  because if you did you can find it

Wizard

goelvis wrote:

I have notified the police, no luck there. High tech stuff is just too hard to trace, apparently.

They just don't want to spend the time.  They know 8 people that the thief called from the phone records...

Journeyman

Yeah I would also install Lookout Mobile Defense on your new one. You can make that phone literally scream all day long, he'll put it down.. lol

Journeyman

People. Actually not People... SPRINT Insiders. Can you please answer this genleman or womans question?

I too want to know that my phone will be nothing but a brick if its stolen. I am more concerned about the thief being F-d than anything else. The important thing to note is if they do truely and permantly brick it, that the culpritis stuck  with junk. This prevents theft because word gets out that there is no point to it. Crime goes down when all you get is plastic and glass.

Phone theft is crime of opertunity, it may get stolen anyhow, but isn't it nice to know the thief will spend hours and hours trying to profit with nothing to gain.

Journeyman

Im pretty sure they will be able to activate it with metro PCS or Cricket maybe, I see the ads on craigslist all the time about people who can flash phones and even flash the ESN to a new ESN.  But you should still have satisfaction of knowing they wont be able to activate it with sprint therefore rendering the 4g useless and Cricket and Metro 3g speeds are not good.  If they get it activated like that they have a worthless smart phone as they wont be able to use its full potential.

Message was edited by: jcheney003

Journeyman

I'm sorry to hear about your Evo! Mine got stolen too, unfortunately I had to go through a lot of BS just to make a claim to Asurion! The idiot who sold me the phone (supposed to be a manager) happened to forget the insurance although I specifically ASKED for it! So it took a week just to have sprint put insurance on the line and then have insurance cover the phone! Ughhh finally though the deductable is paid and I'm waiting for my replacement! Using my old rant in the meantime lol yuck!! How long did it take you to recieve your replacement and was it NEW or REFURB?? Did it end up including the micro sd card?? Lol I hope so cause you can't really do much with the evo without a micro sd card!

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Friday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat