cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My first impressions Froyo on Evo!

Highlighted
Wizard

My first impressions Froyo on Evo!

Yes I did install it, I could not resist.

As a programmer, I like feedback so I can fix the bugs!!

• The apps I tested so far are running fast, no laps
  • New skin for FM Radio. I am getting most of local stations than before and they are all clear
  • Just installed Flash 10.1
  • Using the stock browser or Skyfire beta, I can browse Hulu fine but as before cannot play or watch. I get the friendly … message ‘Unfortunately, this video is not available on your platform. We apologize for your convenience’ my a$s for that
  • Not issue with Sprint TV, resumes nicely after a call
  • Most of the applications run like they are on steroids! Cool for me
  • I like the new security pin lock (From the old Window Mobile days!)

Few little issues so far

• My 16 gig sd card is having same issue as before. Reformat few times
  • Music does not resume automatically after a call. You have to do it manually (sucks). True for Pandora, FM Radio (yes the stock app), but if you are playing the music from your sd card it works fine!
  • Sprint Radio (part of Sprint TV) does not work. I never use it before. Can someone confirm if it’s working now on their Evo? After a while I get the alert ‘Sorry, this channel is temporary unavailable. Please try again.'
  • The market does not show my applications under ‘Downloads’ at first. It only shows Google Maps. If I browse the Market, they are showing as installed (go figure...). After installing Flash 10.1 from the Market, now all my applications are showing
  • Market is slow to load for the first time you run it!
  • Iheartradio not working for now. I will remove it and reinstall. will report on it later!
  • No pinch & zoom in gmail! (No surprise)

My break is over for now and it's time to study and write my paper!

Update 08/02/2010

No check box for selection in GMail.

By default it opens the first email. I don't like it at all.

I want to be able to select the email and delete is without opening it!

I uninstalled Iheartradio, useless at this point. Keep trying to connect and never play

The touch screen appears to be very responsive now.

May be this is just a better version.

14 REPLIES 14
Highlighted
Journeyman

i still say it's basically flash lite. full flash is like 10.2.22

Highlighted
Wizard

nicholaaaas wrote:

No, it's not Flash Lite. It's the whole deal.

Check the video on android central in about 9 minutes in playing, Flash 10.1

http://www.androidcentral.com/evo-4g-froyo-android-22

The current version from Abobe web site is 10.1

Highlighted
Journeyman

Copy protected apps aren't showing up for me. Not sure if its because my PRI is out of date. Can someone who has never rooted check and see. Here's a short list of apps that shoudn't be available:

TV.com

NYTimes

Pac-Man

Documents to Go paid

QuickOffice paid

I've noticed flash works really well (and its built into the ROM, so no need to install off the market.)

The only problem is that flash heavy pages cause the rest of the page to load weird and to have bad scrolling.

Everything else is working really well for me. Fast and even Sense is running without any lag whatsoever.

Highlighted
Journeyman

M.Marcus wrote:

nicholaaaas wrote:

No, it's not Flash Lite. It's the whole deal.

Check the video on android central in about 9 minutes in playing, Flash 10.1

http://www.androidcentral.com/evo-4g-froyo-android-22

The current version from Abobe web site is 10.1

uninstall the flash player and go to hulu and see what it tells you

Journeyman

I am also having the same issues with certain apps as well. You can add Discover Mobile to that list as well. I was able to get documents to go working however by hitting menu, about, and activiating by entering my email and such. Hope that helps you. Have you gotten any further info on this issue?

Highlighted
Journeyman

Thanks for the advice. Still don't know how to fix it. If you've never rooted your phone, then this is definitely the issue that comes up when new updates hit early. It's a server side issue. Basically, the new build number hasn't been added to the device database, and until it is, we can't access copy protected apps. It will probably take less than a week.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Found another issue. HTC seems to have left out the data backup function of Froyo. This was released as part of the official Froyo upgrade, so its interesting that its missing. This function allows you to backup your settings and data to the cloud, so if something happens to your phone, or if you do a factory reset or switch phones, you can easily access your data and settings. Apps have to add the feature individually, and I think they use their own servers. Problem is, there is no option in settings to enable this or use it to backup the phone's basic settings. Sure would be useful.

Which brings me to one of the things I love about Android. It's the first platform to go totally with the cloud. Rather than relying on crappy desktop software, the device can automatically be managed and backed up from the cloud. The benefits are that you don't have a PC reliant device like all the others. Instead, the device is independent, with the ability to manage it from a desktop through the browser. No special software required. Its been a bit bumpy since Google hasn't completed all the necessary services yet, but I think by years end, we will see Google's online sync software (aka. Google music, Gmail, Docs, Youtube with paid content, etc.) I hope Google hurries up and gets all these projects working on Android soon. Then people can stop complaining about not having an iTunes like desktop sync.

Highlighted
Journeyman

You didnt mention "Voice Dialing over Bluetooth". That is the main function I am waiting for. Also the ability to install new apps on the SD card. That is also a biggie.

Highlighted
Journeyman

How did you "install flash 10.1"? It is installed by default on mine, but it doesn't work!!! I also can't uninstall it!!! What sis you do differently

Highlighted
Journeyman

If you have the software version ending in .3, it should work. You may need to do a factory reset to get everything working. The one built in works perfectly for me. The market isn't showing it yet, since copy protected apps aren't showing yet.

Highlighted
Wizard

Kevinb99999 wrote:

How did you "install flash 10.1"? It is installed by default on mine, but it doesn't work!!! I also can't uninstall it!!! What sis you do differently

You may be right,

The first time I went to the Market I was able to select Flash and install it, but now I cannot uninstall it. There are a lot of funny stuffs going on here.

Looks like gmail is buggy, open the first email by default, I don't like it!

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat