cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NO TEXTING PRIVACY WITH THE EVO

Highlighted
Patron

NO TEXTING PRIVACY WITH THE EVO

By default Sprint has the HTC EVO set up to vibrate or ring when you have a text.  The text will come up in the status bar and you know you received a text.  If you chose not to have your text show up in the status bar THEN you will not get a notification such as a vibrate or tone that you have a text.  You only receive a number on the text message icon.  Thus you have to look at the phone over and over again to see if you have a text.  I was showing someone my phone and a text came up in the status bar which the person was able to read.  LUCKILY It wasnt a text that would a only been meant to be seen by me.  SPRINT NEEDS TO SEND OUT A UPDATE TO FIX THIS ASAP.  What do you think?     [removed personal info]

Message was edited by: SarahKS - Please don't include personal info

Message was edited by: SarahKS

6 REPLIES 6
Journeyman

Re: NO TEXTING PRIVACY WITH THE EVO

I agree COMPLETELY!!  Same issue with the HTC Hero from which I just switched-- what's the point of having a screen lock if every text scrolls across the locked screen?!?!??

Journeyman

Please, stop thinking everything you don't like about this phone is Sprint's fault.

Download the app Handcent SMS.  It's the best text app out there, in many people's opinion.

There is a setting in that program to "Don't Show Message Contents".

It only shows, "You have a new message", in the notification bar.  It will show you the contents if you drag down the notifaction bar.

There is also a setting, in there, to turn on the screen when you get a message.

It's VERY customizable.

Try it out.  It's great!!!

Journeyman

First, Google would be the ones who would have to make the update. Then HTC will have to re work the Update for the EVO. It is an android phone after all.  Sprint would then be responsable for distrobution of said update.

Secondly, screen locks are so you don't go hitting buttons or making phone calls while it's in your pocket. It is not meant to be a line of security for you handing the phone to your friend to play with. you want security? don't hand your bud the phone.

Lastly, It's very annoying the way notifiactions work in android. But there are apps that attempt to address this. Android 2.2 does address most of the problems and Last i heard HTC was working on tweaking it for the EVO.

Journeyman

once again the phone as benn available to the public for 4 days... calm down. don't jump on spring/google/htc for a feature you don't like. ask politley if there is a way to change a setting you don't like.

it's not them... it's you

Journeyman

First, this is a Sense app, so it would be HTC who needs to tweak. You may want to kindly leave a suggestion for them. But like everyone else says, Android is an open system. You can effectively trade out just about any app, including your home app. To change texting, download a new texting app, Handcent and ChompSMS are usually the highest recommended. Then you just go into Messages and go into its settings and turn off notifications. Open your new app and set up the notifications the way you like and you're set. Another good one is SMS Popup. This will work similarly, but you will still use your Message app to text. This app just lets you change all your notification settings, just be sure to still turn off notifications in Messages. Here's a link to get you started: http://www.appbrain.com/app/net.everythingandroid.smspopup

Journeyman

I downloaded Handcent and it is great. Lots of custom settings!

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat