Sprint Community is Read Only. Please use the My Sprint app or Sprint.com to manage your account. If you need assistance, please visit Sprint.com/chat or visit community.t-mobile.com
Sprint Community is Read Only. Please use the My Sprint app or Sprint.com to manage your account. If you need assistance, please visit Sprint.com/chat or visit community.t-mobile.com
Sprint Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Navigator crashes EVO

Journeyman

Navigator crashes EVO

Help. For the past few weeks, whenever I use Google Navigator, my Evo crashes, reboots automatically (takes about 4 minutes to reboot), I  have to renenter the directions, it provides the route and voice turns fine, but then it crashes again. I tried uninstalling the updates (you can't uninstall Google Maps & Navigator), and downloading them again. I've taken the battery out, put it back in. I have android 2.3.3.

Any suggestions? It doesn't seem to crash with any other apps.

PS: I also notice that the battery seems hotter than normal when this happens, and that I'm getting "low on memory" messages more frequently. Are these related?

7 REPLIES 7
Master

Have you tried to clear the Data and cache? Menu>Settings>Applications>Manage Applications>All>Maps>Clear Data/Cache

Master

The "Low Memory" issue is a problem introduced with Gingerbread, It's being looked into and should be addressed in a future update. It's been reported many times.

Journeyman

Cache is empty, but I'll try clearing data (1.44mb). Don't think that will work, because when I uninstalled the updates and re-installed them, I cleared out the data and cache, and it still did this.

Master

I hate to say it, And usually don't unless it's a last resort but you may have to do a factory reset. Sounds like the built in app has become corrupt. You can download "My BackUp"(the free version will work) from the market to back up everything, Do the factory reset then redownload My BackUp and use it to restore your phone.

Journeyman

I called Sprint twice now. One person had me remove my battery and did something from their end. That did not solve the problem. Another person said I would have to do a factory reset, but another person said I didn't. One person told me that my software version 4.24.651.1 may be the problem but they did not have any known problem with the GPS/Navigator. Another person said this was the latest software and should have resolved the GPS problem from a previous version.

First time I've had such a run-around and conflicting info from Sprint CS/Tech. Normally, quite helpful.

I'll call again, but the last suggestion was to go to a Sprint store.

Wizard

A factory reset fixed my Evo when I was having issues with the navigation. I wouldn't say you were getting the run-around, more so that these are all things that you can attempt to fix your issue.  Sometimes it's not a simple black or white answer that will fix one problem.  I've also had luck with having people reinstall the application through telenav - it creates a different navigation icon on your phone, but TeleNav are the guts behind Sprint Navigation. Here's the link if you want to give it a try...

http://ota.telenav.com/ota/sn

Edit: sorry, this is for Sprint Navigation, not google navigator, didn't read the original repsonse.

GrandMaster

i cant remember where i read it but i could have sworn someone said the issue had something to do with one of the google maps updates causing it. but that was a long while ago.

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Community News

Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat