cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New update has messed up my EVO

Journeyman

New update has messed up my EVO

I wish I had never installed the latest update. It has made my EVO almost useless for the things I like to do with it. I can no longer use bluetooth. When I pair my headset it shows it being connected. When I try and make a call the blue connect light on my headset stops flashing and I can only use the phone ear piece or speaker. As soon as I hang up, the headset blue light starts flashing showing it is connected and it shows paired in the settings. It worked fine before the update. I like to live stream radio stations on the phone and it was working ok before the update. Would buffer sometimes but would normally come back. Now I can only stream stations using AAC or AACP. If I try to stream an MP3 station it buffers for 10 seconds and just stops. It will play on Wifi but not on 3g or 4g like it did before the update. The new 4g software makes it almost useless. 4g is really spotty and weak most of the time and I can usually only get it in the car and outdoors.  Before the update you could turn the 4g radio on and it would scan until it picked up a 4G signal. It would automatically switch between 4g and 3g as you were moving. Now you have to tap the 4g widget to start a scan. If it loses the signal it switches back to 3g and disconnects and it will not scan for another 4g unless you tap the 4g widget again. Probably saves on battery by not doing a constant scan but is not very practical when you are driving. I would just turn the 4g radio off if I wanted to save the battery and was not using it. I know when you call customer service on an issue they usually want you to try a factory reset if you are having issues. I tried this and it did not resolve any of these problems. I don't want to reload all my apps until I get it working right. Anyone else having multiple issues like this since the update? I will try one more reset and if that does not work I will make an appointment at the repair center. This update is worthless as far as I can tell.

Message was edited by: swanrunner

10 REPLIES 10
Journeyman

Re: New update has messed up my EVO

Since I installed the update, my phone keeps turning itself off!  The only way I can keep it from turning off, is to keep it plugged in and charging!

Journeyman

After doing a second factory reset my bluetooth is working like it should. The live streaming radio problem is not fixed. I will get appointment at the repair center unless anyone has any other ideas on what to do.

Journeyman

Yes I am having the same problems with the new update. My 4G nows needs to be manually turned on each time I re-enter a 4g area. GRRRRR. This is not what I want. Give me my option back to keep 4 g running!!!!! I will worry about my own battery. Thank you!

Journeyman

I agree. I don't want to tap to scan for 4G everytime I want to use it. I should have the option to automatically scan and connect to 4G without user input. That's like, "tap here before you want to use the data connection on your phone". HTC/Sprint took something automatic and turn it into a manual operation. Aren't smartphones supposed to be smart and make life easier, not more annoying? I can live with the forced upon apps this upgrade came with, becuase I just won't use them, but to force a basic functionality change of 4G is inconsiderate and a downgrade.

Journeyman

Hmmm I am not experiencing any issues so far.

I stream Pandora and Slacker radio just fine (Im streaming slacker on my EVO as I type this).

What radio are you trying to stream that does not work?

As for the 4g fix, I am personally glad they did the update so now I dont constantly have to manage my phone maxing out the processor at 100% because it is stuck continually trying to scan for 4g service.

I have not noticed any change in the 4g signal and I still get the same number of bars in the same places as I always have.

Inside my work I get a marginal 4g signal which comes in/out all the time and before the update my phone would go haywire.  Now that does not happen.

The 4g widget does prompt to scan when the 4g signal disconnects BUT it does rescan by itself periodically without you having to initiate it.  Difference is now instead of a never ending loop it just does a check every so many minutes and shows you a widget if you want it to force scan more often than that.

Message was edited by: CKNOBMAN

Journeyman

Thanks for the reply about how the new 4g radio works. Just curious where you found out about it and do you happen to know what the scan interval is? As for my radio streaming issue, I use A Online Radio and Xiia Live Radio the latter of which mentions in their Market app description of known issues that the 3.7 update broke mpeg streaming on the HTC EVO. I can stream all audio on WIfi but only AAC+ on 3g or 4g. Same result with both of these apps.

Journeyman

I dont have anything specific on how often the scan interval is as there is no official setting.  I am currently trying to keep track of it just by watching my phone.

The way I found out about it was at work since my 4g connection inside is very poor it drops often.  I was streaming music on 4g and then suddenly my stream paused.  I looked down at the phone and saw that 4g dropped and noticed the little icon to scan up in my notification bar.  I didnt do anything and let it default over to 3g which then my stream picked back up again.  A little later (was not paying attention to how much time passed) the stream paused again and I looked at my phone and noticed that 4g had reconnected itself.

My phone has been doing this ever since the update and I have been trying to keep tabs on it.  One time 4g went away for 10 minutes and then came back without me having to initiate a scan.  Now I dont know if it was 10 minutes because that is how long the scan interval is or if it was because the phone could not get enough signal for that long.

Can any Sprint admins possibly shed some light on this?

Journeyman

This exact thing happened to me. I took mine to the repair center, but they did absolutely nothing to fix the problem. This phone was very expensive, but without the features I spent the money for working, I may as well have an 80's style NEXTEL. I can't get Sirius radio anymore, when it worked perfectly before the update. The repair guy told me the phone isn't compatible with that app, even though it was fine before. I am very angry about this problem.

Highlighted
Journeyman

1. The Sirius app doesn't work because there's an issue with audio streaming.  You can Google a fix that you can do yourself, or check out the stickied thread at the top of the Evo forum.

2. Due to the way in which an Android phone retains all your old data after a major software update like that, there are bound to be bugs and the like, since old data can be incompatible with new software.  The best thing you can do after an update is to do a factory reset.

Journeyman

Have you called Sprint and gotten your "mls" code then dialed ##DATA# from your phone pad, gone into "edit" mode, entered your mls code as the password then gone into "advanced" and scrolled to the very bottom, selected "http proxy" that is the very last entry and entered "0.0.0.0"?   I don't know about your exact service, but it has worked for all the services I use, and I use quite a few. The mls code is phone specific, so you have to get the one for your phone. It sucks to have to go through this tap-dance, but it works.  --  Sharon

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat