cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Not receiving sms

Journeyman

Not receiving sms

Did a hard reset earlier and am no longer receiving sms messages. I know they're incoming because i'm integrated with google voice and get them on the web and in the GV app. I checked to make sure I'm still set to receive notifications via sms in the gv app and website for my sprint number. Also uninstalled and reinstalled the GV app on my phone.

Is anyone in the chicago area also having trouble? I called support and they said a tower was being repaired nearby, but it's odd that my outgoing messages from the stock sms app work, but nothing comes into the stock app. Could possibly be an issue with google? I really don't know how the GV integration works behind the scenes, not sure anyone outside of google and sprint really does.

Did the hard reset in hopes of fixing the sense crash bug after the 2.3 update, but ended up nandroiding back to my previous setup. sms was working perfect up until a few hours ago (after I hard reset)

btw, by hard reset I mean clearing storage from the bootloader (holding vol down while booting the phone)

6 REPLIES 6
Journeyman

Not receiving sms

At this time Google Voice handles all sms and will only send sms notifications, not the actual message, to your stock sms app (if you turned this feature on in your GV options). It's not an issue with the phone or the network. Hopefully Sprint and Google Voice can work together to allow users to choose how sms are handled.

Journeyman

Not receiving sms

Daniel.S wrote:

At this time Google Voice handles all sms and will only send sms notifications, not the actual message, to your stock sms app (if you turned this feature on in your GV options). It's not an issue with the phone or the network. Hopefully Sprint and Google Voice can work together to allow users to choose how sms are handled.

This is highly incorrect.

SMS messages can and will be redirected to your phone using the stock sms app using the GV integration. This worked both before and after my issue was fixed.

It was indeed an issue with the phone AND the network. Sprint gave me a new phone and all of my messages from the past few days came streaming directly to the stock messaging app just as they had prior and do today.

When you enable sms notifications within google voice for a cellular number it's near seamless, all sms and mms messages go directly to the stock app (they also show up in the gv app and gv website) and they appear as they would without integration.

The only hiccup in integration I've noticed is when roaming. Messages received while roaming show a time stamp 4 hours ahead of when the message was sent. Maybe this isn't a GV issue and I just never noticed it before, but I'm pretty sure it is.

Journeyman

Not receiving sms

so i am having this exact same problem. i can send them out to all my friends and family. but i cannot recieve what so ever.

i had called sprints customer service and got to technical support and they were absolutely great with walking me through everything

they had me back up my phone and reset my phone (soft, over the air, hard)

i reset my phone using the service menu and a code they sent me to completely wipe my phone. nothing works at all and i am completely perplexed. my account is unblocked for everything.

everything is working except receiving sms and mms. did you solve your phone problem?

by the way. my phone stopped recieving the same day you posted on july 22

GrandMaster

Not receiving sms

the time stamp issue has been ongoing for a while now. supposedly its a known issue but that was back from the froyo days..so i dunno... i downloaded sms time fix and havent had any issues since. like you the only time i have seen the time being off on texts is while i was traveling and bouncing in and out of reception areas...which i will be doing again next weekend lol

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Journeyman

Not receiving sms

chad1robot wrote:

so i am having this exact same problem. i can send them out to all my friends and family. but i cannot recieve what so ever.

i had called sprints customer service and got to technical support and they were absolutely great with walking me through everything

i reset my phone using the service menu and a code they sent me to completely wipe my phone. nothing works at all and i am completely perplexed. my account is unblocked for everything.

everything is working except receiving sms and mms. did you solve your phone problem?

chad1robot wrote:

They gave me a new evo, that solved it 😕

Journeyman

Not receiving sms

I'm having the exact same issue and I hope I dont have to do this because the phone I'm using was just replaced by Asurion.  I've had it for about 3 weeks.  Then I reflashed my ROM and instaleld GV and next thing I know my text messages are sent out using my messaging app but only received within GV.  Really irritating....and I'm not looking forward to having to get ANOTHER replacement phone.....

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat